Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / looking for tips

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 16 hours, 59 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 at 22:49 (GMT -5)

hey all, newbie to the forum...
been playing ADOM for god-knows-how-long... anyways i need help. well not really, just tips. i've looked at lots of sites, lots of spoilers, and even talked to a couple people. and most of my guys die before they even get out of the VD (i always take this quest... yes the DD gives an artifact, but the druid's tough and my mages can never kill him w/o taking a *huge* amount of damage and loseing most of my stats.. besides there's more boost for saving yrrigs). those that do often die in the PC. and if a char makes it out of the VD *and* the PC, they either die en-route to the CoC or shortly there-after. the furthest i've ever gotten was a lvl 17 trollish ranger (didn't know much about the forge, or about the steel golomn... oops...). highest chars i get in 1.0.0 are 12.
anyways anyone got clues as to how to survive long enough to get past lvl 10 of the CoC (deepest i've ever gotten)? i bet i'm overlooking something obvious...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

19 hours, 49 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

ADOM is a very hard game to give general advice for... Some people seems to have a knack for it, others like me can play for years and never get very far (I've been as deep at D:48 once, but the friggin game crashed on me).

Anyway, I tend to do things in this order:

• Go get all the early quests in town.
  • Go to the outlaw town and get pick pocket (kill a few beggars if you are lawfull)
  • Go to the SMC and look for the blanket and the down stairs (but leave before you hit level 5).
  • Find and kill the raider lord.
  • Dive into the Cavern of Chaos (I usualy end up over there while looking for the raider)
  • Stop when you hit the arena, clean out the traders that sell Cooked Lizards (may need to fight a little in the arena to raise the funds).
  • Head back up, do the Druid/Carpenter quest (if you don't have healing you might want to do the carpenter earlier) Drop by the Master thief and join the guild and spend your cash on new skills (remember to use pickpocket a lot on your way to the arena and back).
  • Explore the "puppy cave"
  • If you found the stairs in SMC go to the HMV (if you are a spellcaster or just feel buff kill the crime lord first and get Law and the Amulet of order first).
  • Take the shortcut out and start on the Cavern of Chaos for real (dependin on your race and class you may be high enoguh level to want to do the Pyramid first a this point).

If you are still alive at this point you schould have a fairly deacent level and some good eq... No guarantees though, I rarely get to far myself ;)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6365 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

Duke Ravage: A good motto is... "Never take chances." If there is a chance that you'll be killed in a conflict, run away. Run away a lot, even. If you don't present the opportunity for yourself to die, you won't die. It's all about survival. Of course, this factors out such things as stupid mistakes like spamming the wilderness and unforeseeable things like traps.
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7933 days, 23 hours, 25 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

"Run away to fight another day" right Palagran?

Also training with spears is very good! They are quite easy to obtain (spears from traps and crude spears from orcs), improve DV to a high value very fast and best of all there are 2 garanteed artifacts (ones that don't appear randomly - the Rune Coverd Trident and the Trident of the Red Rooster!!!

One more thing, mummies are not 'especially' amused with fire.... ;-)

Sengoku
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6365 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

Indeed. Death is kind of permanent in ADOM. It's good to avoid it. :P
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 16 hours, 59 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2001 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

heh, thx for the help... although i think i may need more... but sengoku, most of what you said i already knew, i've read through the manuel 3-4 times (just b/c i was bored) and read a lot of sites abt ADOM (same reason).
and i figured out that "death is permanent" thing pretty quick... =-)

ivan.sourceforge.net

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: