Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / artifact

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
*cobaltofdoom*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 at 03:07 (GMT -5)

hmmmm.. had an idea for a quest. maybe somewhere near the ancient town above the maze.
you could have a large ruine temple or crypt like structure. after a few levels of various undead and maybe zombie priests of whatever cult was there the botom would be a pit, where there was kept and ancient karmic wyrm, cept now of course its an Ancient undead karic wyrm. its ill luck was teh cause of the cults downfall and keeping such a powerfull creature destroyed themselves.

and a neat artifact could be Karmic dragon armor with obvious atributes plus maybe an imunity to karmic curses?
Ashandarei
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

Well, post that idea to TB. Let's see whether he'll add it to ADOM.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5687 days, 22 hours, 5 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 at 03:13 (GMT -5)

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I hardly think TB will add such a powerful artifact. Otherwise the idea is neat.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

I'd say such an artifact would have to be cursing and dooming. You get cursed and doomed attacking karmic monsters, wearing their skin seems much worse to me.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4959 days, 5 hours, 29 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 at 20:46 (GMT -5)

That would rather kill the point of gaining immunity from the effects of attacking karmic creatures, wouldn´t it?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Shiro
Registered user
The & is like a sitting balor.

Last page view:

6949 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 at 22:19 (GMT -5)

Sargoth makes a good point.

@Some guy: You can eat their corpse to get lucky, but wearing their skin would cause the opposite effect? Doesn't seem too fair. If any penalty is to be carried, it should simply prevent or erase Lucky and Fate Smiles as long as it is worn.
Some have argued that confronting the threat from Drakalor could detract from the war against Chaos. To the contrary, confronting the threat posed by Drakalor is crucial to winning the war on Chaos.

-Gerego B. Shuw, president of the United States of Ancardia
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6836 days, 14 hours, 58 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

If a Karmic DSM is added, it should have the fragile suffix or be VERY rare. Armor that grants immunity to all the elements seems a bit too unfair.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5826 days, 23 hours, 8 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

the armor should give luck, fate, doom, curse and swap those attributes each turn, like the karmics do ^^
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 at 23:47 (GMT -5)

Shiro: True, I guess that doesn't make complete sense. But I was trying to think of a way to keep it from being overpowered.

I suppose that all immunities on one scale mail isn't too unbalanced; you almost never need more than one immunity at once, and if you have three or four different dragon scale mail colors you can cycle through them at will without extra food consumption. But I still say immunity to karmic curses is too good.

Notice the semicolon?
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

"That [doom+curse] would rather kill the point of gaining immunity from the effects of attacking karmic creatures, wouldn´t it?" - no, you wear the armor, kill karmic, remove armor, and be no longer cursed.

And I don't think it is illogical, since attacking karmic beings does curse/doom.
Ashandarei
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

How about this artifact?

Jet-black scythe "Death's touch" (-30,10d10+24)[0,0]
It slays everything that lives.
It is very good at scoring critical hits in melee.
It is a permanently cursed item.

Some penalties: Every time you hit with it, you become older. Abuses toughness.

The idea is, that it is Death's own scythe. PC could get it somehow, maybe like this: First you die. Then there is about 1/5 (or the like) chance to see Death and then you could grab her/his scythe and come back to life by wearing an AoLS or being 50 level necromancer. Or something like that.
Ps. Forgive my english.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3901 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 04:43 (GMT -5)

Ashandarei erote: "The idea is, that it is Death's own scythe. PC could get it somehow, maybe like this: First you die. Then there is about 1/5 (or the like) chance to see Death and then you could grab her/his scythe and come back to life by wearing an AoLS or being 50 level necromancer"

You would have to die of old age so you could see the the Death him/herself
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Ashandarei
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 12:10 (GMT -5)

Yes. I know, and AoLS doesn't save you from that. And necromancers rarely die by aging, since they are resistant to special attacks from undeads. But I said that there would be 1/5 chance to SEE Death, and then you could get it.

And that way to get it was just a suggestion. There are surely much better suggestions I think.
mozzzy
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

that death weapon sounds kinda cool actually. i don't think just grabbing it from death would work too well, you'd need some factor such as wearing undead amulet or something i dunno. the drawback to this weapon, other than aging you, should be that if you ever complete a chaos ending death shows up to claim his scytheback after you polish off andy, and your life.
*cobaltofdoom*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

actualy deaths scythe is good! though i dont think "Death" as a personification is an undead... hes not even dead. BUT what you could do is when death comes for you if you happen ot be chaotic then death says "*name*, YOUR TIME HAS COME" .. then your character knees death in twix the legs and says "Sorry, only the good die young!" ... yes yes i know i stole this from red dwarf but how could i not!!

PS Karmyc armor as above isnt tooo powerful... theres at least 2 other artifacts that imunize you against all elements... besides all elements imune isnt that useful unless your fighting thousands of dragons, in the tower of fire, or atacking the Ancient blue wyrm. when you get really high levels then usualy u can just take the brunt of any attack like that by resisting,dodging, or just absorbing the damage.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4942 days, 46 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 at 05:13 (GMT -5)

You die. Suddenly you see a black-robed form approaching you. It bears a black scythe. The form speaks: 'Thou hast served me well. Thus I grant thee this gift'. The form disappears laughing manically. Your blessed amulet of life saving crumples into dust. A jet-black scythe is lying on your feet.

If PC has killed over maybe 10000 (more? less?) monsters, Death gives him the scythe. And when he dies without wearing amulet, he/she claims it back. Or if he doesn't die, Death gets it before PC enters the chaos gate or leaves level 50 of CoC. Eh?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4959 days, 5 hours, 29 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 at 14:56 (GMT -5)

Maybe a message when you have finished the game:

"After several years, Death came and reclaimed his scythe".
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 at 21:02 (GMT -5)

I think I usually kill around 12000 monsters in a normal game. So, I think 20000 monsters would be a good number, to keep it special.
JCool13
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Yeah, so then a new strategy in the game could be to try to get up 20,000 kills, and then you could kill yourself, get the scythe and go on. But, you would start with half of all attributes, and all of you inventory would become cursed. Or if something is blessed, then it would become uncursed. How does that sound?
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 00:57 (GMT -5)

Yep. If only TB sometimes read this forum so he could add this marvelous scythe to Adom ;)
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4902 days, 8 hours, 5 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 at 22:52 (GMT -5)

I think that that scythe would be a good idea, exept that it would replace the TotRR as the best weapon, and it would be pretty easy to aquire, (comparitively, if you spent a long time in the wilderness killing stuff)so most people would just skip the TotRR, and go for the scythe. Another idea is that you could have it damage you occasionally, (say 2d5 every 50 turns) or somthing, so you'd only use it for boss fights and such. and you could have the karmic armour grant luck,Fate,immunity to all, and improve Luck(whatever that REALLY does) but have it be [+0 +0]
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
*cobaltofdoom*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

Well,i dontthink it would asume "best weapon" title
Jet-black scythe "Death's touch" (-30,10d10+24)[0,0]
It slays everything that lives.
It is very good at scoring critical hits in melee.
It is a permanently cursed item.

Some penalties: Every time you hit with it, you become older. Abuses toughness.

that was the original statsfor it posted.
doesnt add defence orprotection and lowers to hit ratio witha max 124 damage reg hit,
rooster has defence protect and adds to hit and a max of i think 84?still very good. and it slays demon/undead wich really are the important two

i dont THINK the scythe is considered pole arm right? so using the rooster and GM in polearms adds tons of Defence right there aswell.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6511 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Scythes are polearms.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

What do you think about creating artifacts. After you achieve lvl 50 you can create a single artifact. Creating would of course drain your attributes, and maybe something else? Speed or hp/pp? I hope that TB will add it into ADOM, and at least into JADE.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6511 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

(pre/post)crowning is there for a reason.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but creating an own artifact sounds cool, at least to me.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5606 days, 17 hours, 38 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Some friends of mine have suggested that with six starting talents you could start with an artifact. Or maybe a wish, which would probably be more useful.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

I sometimes feel that gods should give you a wish instead of random artifact as precrownig gift, mostly after I have been precrowned with the Black tome.
Portrait
Vexander
Registered user
The Jolly Necromancer!

Last page view:

6997 days, 6 hours, 7 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 01:50 (GMT -5)

I think that an artifact that contains the essence of Chaos itself ought to show that fact a little more; as in, every time a new game was generated, the artifact in question would have varying stats (though not /too/ extremely.) Moon Sickle, for example, might have the demon slaying ability in one game, while in another it might grant some resistances/immunities, ect.

Agreed on the wish thing, too.
Hobgoblins taste like chicken!
*cobaltofdoom*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

Perhaps mighty smiths (Lvl:50)with enough Mana to back them could alter/make artifacts BUT at the cost of 1 or maybe 2 existing artefacts(and half their life span?).. to imbue whatever object they wish.(not si of course) certainly make use of the useless artifacts you find.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: