Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / best character ever

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Trevor
Registered user

Last page view:

7095 days, 2 hours, 36 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 at 18:35 (GMT -5)

WHat do you think is the best character
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 5 hours, 26 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 at 21:41 (GMT -5)

Obviously, there is no perfect gender/race/class combination.

On the other hand, my best character is my current one, a level 16 Female Grey Elven Wizard.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5622 days, 16 hours, 31 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 at 01:53 (GMT -5)

How about my archmage char ? That's one tough cookie.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4947 days, 15 hours, 14 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 at 03:43 (GMT -5)

I favor wizards. They are a bit hard in the beginning but once you get moving they are very good fighters aided by their strong magic. They are just as good fighters as any other class except that they need twice as much weapon marks as other classes. And you get all spells in the library. After a wizard has visited the library there is little that can stop him/her.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6026 days, 12 hours, 54 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 at 03:55 (GMT -5)

I currently have a level 18 hurthling wizard. Could well be my best game since I've never gotten any character past level 21. And I managed to get my hands on an AoLS. In a few hours I plan on putting it to use for the first time. Still looking for a Strength of Atlas spellbook though.

Wizards are great for finding more spell books that other characters (is this fact or am I just really lucky) and after a couple of levels they're very competent fighters.

Plus hurthlings start off with the large thrown rocks and clubs bonus so if you find any rocks very near the start (harder than it sounds) it's much easier to survive.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/1/2004 at 03:55 (GMT -5) by thedrin]
JCool13
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

I like Grey Elven Rangers. I usually try to get two somewhat good weapons to Duel-wield at the start. Something like two broad swords or the like.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 4 hours, 13 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Dark elven paladins have an extremely good set of skills and good starting equipment. The only disadvantage is that their strength and toughness are a little low initally, but later on their high mana makes them great casters.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7049 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

Trollish weaponsmiths are just too fegging cool! If you find an early forge and make yourselves some decent armor you can just run around 'zerking everything. I'm currently working on Murglash (brother to Kurglash, check HOF) lvl 17 atm, just done ToEF. runetrident, GoGS, 7lB and HIGH dv/pv! :) also found a WoWi (4). look out for him in the HOF in the not to distant future ;)
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 00:54 (GMT -5)

I dislike trolls. They need too much experience to advance levels and are such dumb. And their lifespan is so short that ghost lords are more dangerous than balors. I like elves, especially gray ones. No bother with aging, high learning, mana, appearance and dexterity and don't need that much experience. Dodge and stealth are also nice to have. And literacy, so you won't need that PoL even though you are playing barbarian/bastfighter. Dark elves get find weakness. Oh, and gray/high elves can get Sun's Messenger as crowning gift.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7049 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

I do like trolls. They can easily kill everythin melee in the beginning. And i do like weaponsmiths, ALOT! they are completely awesome. Maybe that's just because I'm a dv/pv-addict but they sure are extremely powerful.
Oh, and ghost lords are one hit kills that can't penetrate your dv. dex can easily be trained with herbs

And my weaponsmith did start with literacy and now he's got a decent spell casting ability (Weaponsmiths start with Concentration too), although I only use teleportation spell.

I also scummed a potion shop for potions of longevity to solve the lifespan problem, that's what they do ait?

And last and probably least: Trolls are cooler than elves ;)

And I'm not trying to start a discussion of which race is the superior because I'm sure that elves are better, I just like trolls more :)

the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 5 hours, 26 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

My Grey Elven Wizard did better in the Ogre Camp quest with melee than my Human Fighter, who was better equipped and probably about the same level at the time.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/3/2004 at 14:43 (GMT -5) by einherjar]
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4907 days, 22 hours, 33 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

I think that a race that is VERY easy to keep alive in the beggining is trollish monks. I haven't been playing long enough to get one very far, but they start off with 80+ literacy, concentration and they need the normal amount of food. They also don't need to find a good weapon, hands do fine. Another good one is hurthling druid in the PC. on PC2 there is a ant nest, and they won't be hostile. just wait for a long time and then go pick up the rocks. since hurthlings have high thrown rocks skill, they can do a lot of damage at ex.1-6 before they start using their melee weapons. and they also have spells. The only problem is low st.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

And trolls need about 100.000 exp to advance to L12 and 50.000.000 to get L50. That's why I mostly dislike trolls, apart from their short lifespan and low learning.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/7/2004 at 12:33 (GMT -5) by Ashandarei]
Portrait
Quvean
Registered user
The jack of all trades

Last page view:

6813 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 02:26 (GMT -5)

I favor trolls more than any other race. Though they have very short lifespan and high food consumption rate, a lvl 50 troll is always better than a lvl 50 elf. Troll's have ridiculously high melee power, and if you do trollish beastfighter born at the month of a candle... Well, it will be very easy to survive, even for newbies...
And when you get your food preservation to 100, there's no more food problem. Just eat corpses, your trollish PC doesn't mind is it a cake or a rotten giant that hasn't bathed for years.
The smurf punches through your armor and hits you. You die...
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 02:53 (GMT -5)

'a lvl 50 troll is always better than a lvl 50 elf.'

I disagree. Every race is by then just as good as others, except for lifespan. I've had L50 hurthling PCs who were just as good as my L50 elven or gnome or some other race chars. It is only in the beginning when skills&attributes of different races affect that much. But PCs with short lifespans have that little possibility to die by aging.
Portrait
Quvean
Registered user
The jack of all trades

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 02:58 (GMT -5)

When a troll achieves a lvl 50, he has much better weapon skills than other classes. He also has better skills, better equipment, better stats ( He has been adventuring longer! ) and better... Afff, what the heck!!! Trolls rule!!!
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

Of course you can adventure on with elves and hurthlings after you have achieved L50. And get just as good equipment, attributes and exp. It is only matter of time and patience. I once got Grand Mastery with a hurthling wizard. Visited level 400 ID and came back up. It is only matter of patience. And I got all attributes to 99 :p
Portrait
Quvean
Registered user
The jack of all trades

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 07:09 (GMT -5)

G-Grand mastery with a hurthling wizard!?!?

O.O

* The silence in this room feels threatening in some special way. *

G-G-Gongrats?

Still, I prefer trolls. Hurthlings have that stupid dexterity abuse when they wear shoes! >:(
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

'Hurthlings have that stupid dexterity abuse when they wear shoes!'

It actually doesn't matter at all. When training Dx with moss of mareilon just wear some boots (not boots of Dx though). Wearing boots reduces your Dx -2, so you can train Dx more. Then take off those boots. Of course it is worthy to wear 7LBs or boots of speed. -2 Dx doesn't matter that much.
Portrait
Quvean
Registered user
The jack of all trades

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

Really?

Of course it's always neat to create a small hurthling fighter that beats up trolls easily and wears an eyepatch and a huge two-handed sword ^^

Edit: Spelling errors

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 12/10/2004 at 05:05 (GMT -5) by Quvean]
TongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

How'bout merchants? Though they are pretty weak at the beginning, my current merchant is starting brewing potions and stacking up stuff. For a lvl20 char, his score should be high with tons of sis and gems. BTW, they kill monster quickly with coins, never run out of coins, and usually early in the game monsters cannot go through his throwing to deal dmg to him.
marcos
Registered user
High Elven Ranger

Last page view:

5578 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

I like elven rangers, specially High Elves, they have a lot of Skills like Healing.
Drakish Mindcrafters are cool too, they have high WI. (too bad I heard Willpower isn't that important)
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 at 04:31 (GMT -5)

'(too bad I heard Willpower isn't that important)'

It IS very important, especially for mindcrafters and spellcasters. But other classes need it too. It influences your hp/pp scores and characters who have high Wi, can resist confusion attacks much more effectively.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 4 hours, 13 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafter = willpower.
Ksquared429
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

Trolls are awesome I currently have an level 13 Troll, Healer born on the sign of the candle with a neckless of rapid healing, I regenerate hit points like mad it isnt even funny, the only thing I have problems with is leveling but i do have the 2 percent exp bonus talent, and getting paralyzed is there an item to get immunity to getting paralyzed. Oh and ghosts.
marcos
Registered user
High Elven Ranger

Last page view:

5578 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 at 00:09 (GMT -5)

Okay then... I'm going to play a drakish mindcrafter again... that's a good combination, don't you agree? They have some bulk for resisting the first levels.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3608 days, 11 hours, 56 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 15:12 (GMT -5)

ksquared, i had about 10 trolls at level 15-16, born in healer, with necklace of rapid healing, and I thought they were invisible. And do you know what killed them?: a ghoul, a goddamn ghoul. God knows I hate trolls. My fav race is darf elf. They rule. And they are the coolest. I've gotten very far with my recently created dark elf assasin, named Dobby- he rocks
For the Horde!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 4 hours and 14 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 19:56 (GMT -5)

'is there an item to get immunity to getting paralyzed'

yes, amulet of free action, as well as certain artifacts.
*cobaltofdoom*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

I always have fun playing a Trollish Healer born in the month of healing by about lvl 9 or so he heals faster then characters with regen items ;) but he does get hit way too easily
Portrait
Vexander
Registered user
The Jolly Necromancer!

Last page view:

7002 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 01:31 (GMT -5)

I actually played a trollish necromancer a few times...I didn't worry overmuch about spell power, but focused more on creating undead minions. That way, I could bash stuff with ease, and then send in my undead to kill things like cats, since that RotMC is too good to pass up. Only bad thing there is that corpses are sometimes used for undead instead of food...and trolls get hungry quick, of course.
Hobgoblins taste like chicken!
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: