Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / A few questions for a newbie

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Neoptolemus
Registered user

Last page view:

7085 days, 19 hours, 8 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

Hi all,

ive been playing ADOM on and off for a while now, but i never got anywhere due to inexperience and irritating ant swarms which trap you in a corridor and slowly gnaw you to death :P

I was just wondering what pre-crowning, crowning and post-crowning are exactly, and what their effect is on the player. Ive thoroughly read the guidebook and i know how to achieve them pretty much, but i still dont really "get" it. Is crowning necessary for an ultra or normal ending? and what is the difference between each kind of crowning?

Also, i was wondering how you can protect your items from rain, as rain always ruins my stuff, just a trip from Tenrinyo to the infinate dungeon can rust everything i have and drench all my scrolls and books :(
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3900 days, 16 hours, 33 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 10:50 (GMT -5)

pre- and postcrowning are gifts that you get when you are not of extreme alignment (L+, N= or C-), but the gods like you anough to give you a gift, this doesn't make you a champion, ant the god will not do anything "really" bad if you change alignment after a pre-crowning (postcrownings can only be gotten after a normal crowning). If you change alignment after normal crowning, you can't get crowned again, because the gods don't trust you anymore. When you get a normal crowning you get an artifact but also an immunity to one of the elements, and you have to be crowned for ultra endings but not for normal ones.

I know, I'm not good at explaining :D
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6019 days, 21 hours, 37 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

Weather conditions:

You can either play as a ranger, which become immune to weather effects at, I think, level 6. Or if you go into the SMC to the NE of Terinyo there will be two scrolls waiting on the stairs for you. The first will tell you the distance to a waterproof blanket which is always generated in the SMC. Dangerous job to get it I have no idea what units the distance is measured in but 150 is given as the rough distance from one corner to the opposite.

I find that rain doesn't affect every game that I play - when playing a hurthling wizard I don't usually get the waterproof blanket until I'm approximately level 15 (always go into the SMC at level 1 just to get low level monsters generated initially), but only once have I had a problem with rain destroying my spell books early on.

I've only been precrowned twice, crowned once and never finished the game (D'oh - hobbits keep dying in the SMC) so I can't help you out with that stuff.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6835 days, 14 hours, 9 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 14:47 (GMT -5)

The SMC becomes much more dangerous every time you gain a level. I think the stats for monsters there triple each time.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

If you happen to find a 'hooded cloak' - it protects the items you are wearing from rain (and water traps I think, but not absolutly sure about that).

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

The basic reason to get precrowned or crowned is the free artifact you get. Crowning also has some other benefits, such as an immunity you don't have, and permanent blessing. It's necessary to be crowned for an ultra ending.

I always go into the SMC for the waterproof blanket at level 1. Any character that survives that is probably worth continuing.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6835 days, 14 hours, 9 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

Just before you get crowned, make sure you wear the Ancient Mummy Wrapping or an item that grants immunity to cold.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/3/2004 at 17:46 (GMT -5) by einherjar]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: