Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / combat mechanics

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6999 days, 2 hours, 59 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

does anyone know how it works exactly?
i mean how the test determining wether an attack will result in a hit or miss is performed?
and what's the actual conncetion between the 'to hit' bonus, as revealed by the ctrl+w command and the DV?

i have a hypothesis that maybe if the to-hit equals the DV, then there is a 50% chance of a succesful attack...
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6835 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 12:11 (GMT -5)

To-hit and DV are two completely different statistics. There's no connection between the two other than that they both may increase when you advance a skill level in a hand-held weapon.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6521 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 12:45 (GMT -5)

I think he means the connection between your to hit and an enemies DV, or vice versa.
Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4900 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 12:49 (GMT -5)

I know! If your enemy has a high DV, it's hard to hit. If you have a high to hit, it's easier. does that help? It took my three weeks to figure that out.

;)
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6999 days, 2 hours, 59 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

>>>I think he means the connection between your to hit and an enemies DV, or vice versa.

of course i mean that
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6835 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

Then in that case, I don't know what the formula is for a succsessful hit. I do know the RNG factors in the lucky et al intrinsics, and also if you're in a room with a supernatural entity, your rolls are more or less beneficial depending on your alignment and the alignment of the room.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1227 days, 18 hours, 20 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 19:03 (GMT -5)

Your Alignment doesnt matter. Malevolent entity is ALWAYS against you in certain rolls, and visa versa
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5143 days, 12 hours, 7 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

I'd be interested in knowing the formula myself, if there is one. I tend to go for PV in the start to stay alive, since I fight pretty much "very aggressive" and DV tends to be too low anyway.
But I'd like to know at what difference in to-hit and DV monsters will miss a lot.

Many games takes in account relative experience levels as well as hit-value and DV.

AD&D used a system with a D20 and a THAC0 modifier, but where also a natural roll of 1 (or 20?) would always guarantee a hit regardless of DV...mabye there is something similar? Like critical hits will never miss?

Someone should experiment with blessed stethoscope and attacking/defending from monsters.

Or mabye even take a look in code.

So come on someone....
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4900 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 at 09:58 (GMT -5)

I find that I'll raise my pv until it's at 10 when I start, then keep raising it. I like to keep my DV at 15+

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: