Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / JADE update

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6514 days, 19 hours and 43 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

http://www.adom.de/

Holiday day #3: Just felt like posting stuff... so in the future I'll try to post a little more about what I'm doing. Since "News" no longer seemed to be the appropriate title, I've renamed this column to "Ancient Scrolls of Mystery - The ADOM Webblog".

So what do I have to say: Multi-classing basically has been implemented in JADE (well, the actual class features are still missing but laid out) and today I have reorganized the way the control for beings works... now NPCs and the PC are basically the same class - only the brain instance used varies. The PC brain delegates all decisions to the usrér interface, the NPC brain tries to follow goals and make useful decisions.
And what's the benefit: very obvious! Now I can exchange minds between the PC and the monsters with ease - this basically means that you can play any monster and there will be some kind of magic to allow you to exchange your self with that of other monsters. The JAVE implementation for this needs but three lines: Brain tmp = monster.getBrain(); monster.setBrain(pc.getBrain()); pc.setBrain(tmp); And you are done! If the monster was a goblin, you are now controlling the goblin - if the monster was an ancient eternium dragon lord, you are now controlling it :-) !

I know that I'm simplifying somewhat because the user interface now will need to allow you to activate special abilities - but that's just generifiying the "Drakeling breath special case".

I love working on JADE :-)

Oh yeah, the first public version of JADE will be very basic - no spells, no skills, no talents, no... almost nothing. Just walking around and fighting. But that's a good way to get the steam up ;-)
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

Sounds awesome. He kinda hinted that a (very basic) version might be coming out soon, which would be great . . . he also promised to update more often which would be really nice too.
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7047 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 15:58 (GMT -5)

Wohoo, It's really exciting to see him so busy :)
Maybe a first version of JADE isn't so far away after all :)
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Phibby&Dol
Registered user
Incarnation of Illu

Last page view:

6999 days, 3 hours, 4 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

Oh wow ... codings
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 19:42 (GMT -5)

Another update!

Yesterday I hacked away until 2.30 pm at bodyparts, (hey, that sounds weird :-), items and other details for JADE. Bodyparts are basically done so that playing non-humanoid monsters now also entrails having a very different inventory (e.g. imagine an ettin with two heads or a claw bug with many claws).

Today I started the tedious work on being able to display inventories. The code is not yet done (I still need to code the stuff list) but I got tracked away to other useful areas. The generic display code for items and the inventory now also can be used for skills, talents, spells and other lists in the game. Good to already have that ;-)

Funny side notes: Item containers should be very simple. I already have implemented the basics and it should be a lot of fun to have a backpack on your back and a sack in each hand - while fighting a greater moloch beating him to death with your treasures ;-)

And bodyparts even might become items so that monsters could remove bodyparts by brute force (yikes!) and necromancers even might be enabled to create grafts (but the latter thing requires a lot more thought and is not something to be done soon).

So 'll now continue my work on inventories and item lists (I really need to start coding items soon - not one item implemented yet... ;-)

Stay tuned... (and for the folks from ADOM Meet 2004: no, there won't be a JADE 0.0.1 by Christmas, but hopefully this blog thingy will speed up my fun at development ;-)

Oh... and if anyone feels the need to discuss my ramblings, please do so in the newsgroup rec.games.roguelike.adom - I'll stop by occasionally!
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

Sounds complicated. I'm afraid of complicated games.

...Which makes me wonder how I ever started playing this in the first place.
Portrait
Reverend PrOHna
Registered user
Church of The Subgenius

Last page view:

6983 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

yea i hope he doesnt over do it. i have faith though. itll be awesome.
“We're all bozos on this bus, but at least our bus isn't driving over a cliff.”
- Pope Charles, SubGenius Pope of Houston

[] Praise "Bob"! []
[]http://www.subgenius.com[]
[] Slack OFF! []

Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6924 days, 19 hours, 1 minute and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

Yet no more updates since the twenty-seventh, four days short of a month past. =( I hope everything's all right...
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5201 days, 8 hours and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2005 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

He... doesn't talk to the public much.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: