Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Leveling faster?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Raj Ahten
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 at 23:51 (GMT -5)

Do any of the stats make you level faster, and is their any class that levels faster I know trolls level slower but is there one that is faster then normal?
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6514 days, 21 hours, 25 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 at 03:45 (GMT -5)

The Learning stat increases how much xp you get from killing monsters. I think Gnomes are supposed to level up quickest.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 17 hours, 39 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

Yeah I think gnomes are pretty fast levelers, hurtlings aren't too bad either.

The only "stat" that I know off that directly affect leveling is your speed. If you are slower than a monster you get more exp for killing it, if you are faster you get less.

Beeing slow is generaly not a good idea though, but it can be usefull before taking down "big" monsters, soften them up a bit first, and then slow yourself (slow spell, boots of slow shuffle, bloat yourself etc) and finish it off. Suppose throwing potions of boost speed or quickling blood on the monster before killing it would work too (though it's a bit of a waste seeing as those potions can be a life saver, but if you realy realy need a bit of extra exp...).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
ed
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 01, 2005 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

Weak classes level up faster than strong ones, a gnomish bard I played a few weeks ago made level 4 before he killed 10 monsters.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5201 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

Slowing yourself is definately a powerful way to gain experience. A character I'm playing now Did the bug temple very early and got a high (~160) speed as a result, so I was expecting to level up really slowly. But, killing 3 power monsters while slowed (cat lord, greater water dragon, ancient stone beast) gave me about 12 levels, and I'm all the way up to 41 now. (helped by the low inital exp requirements of hurtling, and I think healers were pretty low too)

The amount of exp required to level up is determined at start, and depends on race, class, birthsign (cup), special messages (the two-headed calf message and one other message reduce the amount of exp you need to level up, and the other 2 messages do nothing at all), and of course random factors.

I don't see anything in my notes on this... but I remeber humans, gnomes, and hurtlings were the races that leveled up the fastest (trolls obviously the slowest) and that barbarians leveled up slower than any other classes by quite a bit. That's what I recall from memory, I can look it up again if there is interest =)

Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6913 days, 13 hours, 11 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 20:38 (GMT -5)

At extremely slow PC speeds (<20), throwing potions of boost speed at high xp monsters dramatically increases the amount of xp gained. This is particularly true if you've killed quite a bit of that monster type and the the amount of xp given per kill has deteriorated. 2 potions of boost speed will usually double the amount of experience attained.
- p_ouji
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

This is a bit off thread, but is the exp penalty of the speed talents, quick etc, only for the increased speed? in the guidebook it mentions exp penalty with the speed talents.
the question: is it just because of the extra speed, and thus the penalty, or is there an additional penalty just for having the talent? hope you get what I'm saying.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 1 hour, 17 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 00:50 (GMT -5)

The exp penalty of the speed talents is just because of the extra speed, there's no special penalty.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: