Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Ring of the fish?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
RunnerLord
Registered user

Last page view:

7046 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 at 00:49 (GMT -5)

How does this work, do you have to wield it or not? Also if you dont have to wield it, can you nto wield any rings and they would still work?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

from the GB: "rings of the fish - AUTOCURSING; 1 blessed or 2 of any status stop drowning damage, although water breathing is not listed as an intrinsic at the time."
And yes they have to be wielded

I'm not sure but I don't think they stop damage from water breath attacks
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/2/2005 at 03:57 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6515 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 at 05:01 (GMT -5)

No, they have to be worn, not wielded. The only ring that has to be wielded is a wedding ring, which can be used by male characters to protect against the Banshee's wail.
Do any items protect against water breath attacks?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2005 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

atleast helm of waterbreathing does, I didn't seem to take any damage from the water breath of the greater water dragor, nor did get the message, you are washed away
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4946 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

You probably dodged the blast. The dragon's breath is extremely damage-dealing, at least 200-300. I don't think there is any kind of immunity or protection from water breath attacks. You just sometimes evade them.

Oh, and at least TotRR, R-C-trident and one of the trinity grant water breathing.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4906 days, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 03, 2005 at 20:42 (GMT -5)

It's The Medallion of Chaos that grants water breathing. Although I don't know anybody who actually equips the trinity other than Special Endings.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
XThePKMNScientist
Registered user
X The Pokemon Scientist

Last page view:

7056 days, 20 hours, 39 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

A helm of water breathing allows you to breathe water, thus preventing drowning damage. As long as you wear the helm, you have the water breathing instrinct.

A blessed Ring of the Fish does the same thing, but doesn't grant the instrinct at that time.

Know what would really suck?

"Your blessed helm of water breathing rusts!" while underwater.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4946 days, 1 hour, 56 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

That can't happen. It is waterproof. But I've seen some rusty rings of the fish in a shop and they are rustproof as well... probably a bug.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 18 hours, 48 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2005 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

I've seen rusty blue metal caps here and there... and I'm quite sure some were in the water dragon cave.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Twinge
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 03:48 (GMT -5)

Items that are rustprooft can be generated as rusty (as part of the random generation that can make them broken, B/U/C, etc.) but will not rust in any other way.

This includes rings of the fish, iron ore, helms of water breathing, and probably a few others.

Rings of the fish don't list the instrinsic because it isn't quite the same as the instrinsic. I think (I haven't checked the code for it yet) that luck plays a factor, so if you're cursed and/or doomed you can still take drowning damage from a blessing ring of the fish (stuff 'of the sea'works the same way). Other than that, I think ToGu found that they give you a 100/80/60 chance at not drowning based on thier B/U/C status (which would then be modified by luck; I say this because I'm pretty certain that I've taken drowning damage while wearing a single blessed ring of the fish. I can try to look it up if anyone is actually interested.)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5149 days, 2 hours, 11 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

"Items that are rustprooft " (such as)"iron ore" "can be generated rusty".

Yeah I've wondered about how Iron ORE (FerroOxide, which is basically rust) can be rusty.

Seems Thomas B. thought about that fact, which is why iron ore is on norust list.

So this is definately a bug.

What are effects of rust?
I know weapons have less damage, and other items are more susceptible to destruction, but are there more effects?
Are rusty climbing sets more dangerous to climb with? Is rusty iron ore harder to smith? Etc.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6515 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

Rusty weapons do 1/2 damage. They are also likely to break (a chance every time you hit something). Broken weapons do 1/4 damage, rusty broken weapons do 1/8 damage. I think rusty items are also more likely to get melted etc. by traps or attacks. I also read somewhere that it's possible to get poisoned by wearing rusty armour, but I've never heard of it actually happening.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5202 days, 3 hours, 13 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

Close Alex, but broken weapons are only 1/2, and the two effects together are 1/4.

Vlad recently pointed out that I was mistaken for pickaxes (blessed status doesn't matter, I misread it and thought it did) - instead, pickaxes break a lot more often if rusty.

Some fairly brief searching hasn't revealed anything else interesting for rusty effects...
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5984 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

You are forgetting the minus on Apparence : -1 per rusty item worn, IIRC. I don't think this apply to rusty weapons although.
All your base are belong to us.
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6132 days, 55 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

i *think* rusty weapons have a chance of poisoning the monster you attack as well
*<< Words go here >>*
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6634 days, 11 hours, 1 minute and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 00:33 (GMT -5)

muffin, that's what i have in mind.it doesnt poison you though (You are not a rust monster ;)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: