Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Coward and shields

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7926 days, 18 hours, 24 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 00:30 (GMT -5)

Does fighting in coward mode have any negative effects? (assuming you are using magic so much that you don't need to use weapons). Also, is there any benefit to equipping two shields instead of one? Do you get protection from both of them?

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 01:03 (GMT -5)

IIRC using coward mode doesn't give any skill marks for weapon or shields. Otherwise there shouldn't be any.

Yes, equipping two shields gives at least the base DV/PV of both IIRC, though the extra DV from shield skills probably comes only from one of them.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

13 hours, 55 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 09:44 (GMT -5)

Actualy shield marks work the opposite way as weapon marks. If you are in berserk mode you won't gain any shield marks, while if you are in coward mode you'll get the most shield marks.

Other than that J is correct.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7926 days, 18 hours, 24 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Okay, thanks :-)

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6365 days and 44 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2001 at 23:30 (GMT -5)

Someone on the newsgroup said you get more shield skill marks in '(very) aggressive' tactics, because a skill check for shields only occurs when you evade or block an attack because of the benefits of the shield's DV. Setting tactics to 'coward' increases DV for the sake of tactics, while the majority of DV in '(very) aggressive' would come from your shield.

This is just what I heard. Dunno if it's true.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

13 hours, 55 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Well it is a point... If you have a high DV no one will hit you in the first place do you can't train your shield skill...

But if someone do hit you I think you are more likely to block while cowardly, at least you get more marks per block while coard. Might be that you get hit more and thus train faster dispite this at other settings though...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
mad god
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

It's a good idea to wear off other protection items f.e. Good area for training weapon/shield skills is a gremlin cave. I lifted shield to 9 there (I got crystal shield with DV +9 ;) Just don't forget where the exit is.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: