Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Um... Jan? You listening?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Whom It May Concern
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

As far as I can see, there appear to be 621 users logged on right now, at the time of writing. All but two are lurkers, and it pretty much fills up the entire top part of the screen. And a bit more.

What the hell?

As far as I can tell, one of three things are happening:

1)Some idiot has opened 621 browser windows.

Unlikely - it would take ages for most of these to be opened and set to the site. He/she could have done some sort of script that opened them anyway, but several of them are over 100 minutes ago.

2)You have a serious bug in your code.

Possible, but why it would pick 621 above any other number is open to speculation.

3)You're being DOSed.

And, of course, I just thought it might be prudent to tell you all this in case I'm the only one online and you log on in four hours or so and have no idea what happened, but you've lost all your bandwith.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1233 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 at 15:27 (GMT -5)

Yea i noticed this as well. It went away fairly quickly though. As of now theres only two lurkers that i can see.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5202 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

Yep Yep... It was gradually increasing last night, highest I saw was about 800ish.

The_CyberShadow
Registered user
Loading l33t animation...

Last page view:

6293 days, 5 hours, 58 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

Whoops. My fault - sorry about that. I know this excuse is a little late, but I read this thread but just now.

I was working on a program that would collect the data from the forums, and then work as an NNTP server to allow NNTP clients (Dialog, Thunderbird etc.) to connect to it and allow me to read forum messages as UseNet posts. Today, I finally succeeded:

The spamming happened because my program didn't use cookies to access the site. Each time a page without a cookie is loaded, the forum gives the viewer a cookie which identifies him as a unique lurker. Since my program ignored these cookies, each page load counted as an individual lurker. This could be also counted as a bug on Erik's side - some people might have cookies disabled. This could be fixed by identifying lurkers by both cookies and their IP address.

I really didn't mean to flood the site - as soon as I noticed this I stopped the program and added cookie handling :)

If anyone else might need this program (to access the forum with an UseNet client, not to flood it), contact me :)
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5202 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

Hehe, ah, I see. Oops.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1233 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Interesting program, im quite satisfied with the forums myself, and my access to newsgroups is about to get crippled.

I use Aol (Kill me please) and they decided to discontinue direct access to newsgroups...Bastards. Im too lazy and don't post enough to actually subscribe to another reader client, so ill simply use google groups to read the posts. The only problem it has seems to be when you want to actually reply.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Sorry about not checking in so often...

Not quite sure how to work around no-cookie user agent's though, I'm using the servers "onSessionStart" event to count active users (and most importantly the OnSessionEnd event to tell when a user is no longer "online". I know of no other way to achieve this and I have no direct controll over the servers session management (wich require cookies). I'll look into a way to ignore duplicate sessions though...

Anyway neat program you have there, but it makes quite an impression on the server:

I'm going to asume you where testing it out around the 22. ;P

Does that thing work as a server a lot of people can connect to, or is it a stand alone program where every users have to download all the messages themselves? Just be a little carefull if it's the later because this whole forum is stored in a poor old Access 2000 file (I have some space on a MS SQL server, but no painles way to import all the data) and it can only handle a very low number of simultanious connections. A few dozen programs requiesting tens of thousands of pages each could probably knock the poor thing out cold, or at least cause a temporary Denial Of Service effect...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

The_CyberShadow
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

Hey Jan, welcome back.

Luckily for you, I'm the only user of the program. I stopped developing it since I can't get a particular article's ThreadID. It would be nice if you could make the thread name in the search results link to the thread with that message - and possibly directly to that message through its anchor. I'm sure other forum users will also appreciate this enhancement :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/15/2005 at 17:52 (GMT -5) by The_CyberShadow]

The_CyberShadow
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

One more thing: perhaps you could add a bb-compatible feature to colorize text to any color? Then I can add an AdomBot feature to make color screenshots and post them here. I already implemented that with HTML and aNSI colors.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

Yeah, the link to the thread in search results is sort of a planned feature. Just haven't gotten around to it yet (got a bit more complicated that I had thought because of some old design "flaws")...

As for color support I already have color support of sorts
#############
#....%.......
#\###########
#@#          
#&#          
#...         
#....        
It's not BB compatable (or very pretty) though, I just couldn't figure out how at the time :-o and developement have kinda stagnated since then...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/16/2005 at 14:09 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]

The_CyberShadow
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

As for color support I already have color support of sorts

Really? Then, what about these screens? I tried my best to match your and ADOM's colors, but some essential colors were completely absent from your gamma.

_.*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*._                     
            .*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*.             
          *+*+*+*+*                                         *+*+*+*+*           
         *+*+*+*   Ancient Domains of Mystery  Version 1.1.1   *+*+*+*          
          `*+*+*+*+*  [ Enhanced with AdomBot ]|[ v3.20 ]  *+*+*+*+*'           
            `*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*'             
                   `*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*'                    

(C) Copyright 1994-2002 by Thomas Biskup.                    
                              All Rights Reserved.                              

Created & Maintained by Thomas Biskup (adom@adom.de)              
          Ported to Windows by Jochen Terstiege (jochen@terstiege.de).          
       Submit bug reports at http://www.adom.de/adom/submit-report.php3." TARGET="_blank">http://www.adom.de/adom/submit-report.php3.        
            (follow the instructions in section VII of 'readme.1st')            
               See http://www.adom.de for details about the game.               
      Latest version of the game at http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3.      

ADOM may be copied and distributed under the restrictions of its license.    
  (see section I of the Mini-FAQ for details by pressing '?' during the game)   

Help to support ADOM with donations at http://www.adom.de/donations.php3.    

[Press SPACE to continue]  

(looks like you got some bugz with parsing links, too)

A forbidding tunnel leading into the depths of the world.                       

^^^ ^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^   
      ^^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=====^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^..^   
   ^^^^===""""~~~^^^^^^^*^^^&&&&&&&~~~~~~~~~~~~^*^^=======^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^..^^   
 ^^^^===="""~~~~~~o^^^^^^&&&&&&o&&&&&&&~~~~~~~&&&========="""""""&&^~^^^^.^^    
 ^^^^"""""~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&==""""""""""&&~~~^....^     
 ^^"""""~~^^*^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&""""=""""""""""&&&&&o..~^^^     
 ^^^"""~~~^^^^^^^          ^^^@^"""""""""""""""""""=="""""""""&&&&&&&&&&^^^^    
 ^^~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^""""""""""""""""""""=""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&~~^^^^   
 ^*^~^^^^^~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"""""&&&&"""*&&&&""""=="""""&&&&&&&&&&&&~~~^^^^   
 ^^^^^^^^^~~~~~~"o""""^^"""""""""&&&&&&&&&......^^^^=="""""""&&o&&&&~~~~^^^^^   
  ^^^^^^^^~~~~"""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&.^^*^^===""""""&&&&&&~~~^^^^^^   
  ^^^^^^~~~~~"""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&....^^^^==="""&&""&&&~~~~~^^^^   
   ^^^^^&""""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&*&&&&&&&&&.""""""===="""""~~~~~^^^^^^   
  ^^^^^^&&""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&""""""==""====""~~~*^^^^^*^   
  ^^^^^*^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^*^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"""""===""""""""~~~~^^^^^^~^   
 ^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&""""""=^^"""~^^^^^^^^^o^   
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     

Pantera       St:99  Le:99  Wi:99  Dx:88  To:90  Ch:82  Ap:65  Ma:99  Pe:99 C-  
DV/PV:156/42     H:430(430)    P:267(634)    Exp: 17/321648     DrCh  Sp: 10042 
Blessed Bloated Coward                                                          

Ugly, huh? :(

Here are THE correct colors for the ADOM display.

#000000 Black
#0000AA Blue
#00AA00 Green
#00AAAA Cyan
#AA0000 Red
#AA00AA Magenta
#AA5500 Brown
#AAAAAA Light gray

#555555 Dark gray
#5555FF Light blue
#55FF55 Light green
#55FFFF Light cyan
#FF5555 Light red
#FF55FF Light magenta
#FFFF55 Yellow
#FFFFFF White

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/16/2005 at 19:31 (GMT -5) by The_CyberShadow]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 13:04 (GMT -5)

Yeah, well I did say of sorts :P

Most of the formating tags where implemented in a very quick and dirty way so I could use simple replace statements with no parsing to "translate" them into HTML. I made these forums as a learning experience and as such there are a great many things that are -- less than perfect. Layer upon layer of code & fix stuff *shudder* so once I got it working I've rarely been eable to summon the courage to go back in and "modernise" stuff :P

Implementing BB style color and url handeling should not be too hard though. I'll try to find the time to do it one of these days.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

The suggestion of colors in the adom/readme.1st file is different than CyberShadow's suggestion ;-). Search for "xadom" in http://www.adom.de/adom/readme1st.php3
(I have not checked what any of them looks like, though... the one in readme.1st looks strange, because yellow is #aaaa and brown #ffff)

The_CyberShadow
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 at 19:44 (GMT -5)

Z: those colors are made up. The colors I listed are the default VGA colors, used for more than 15 years now.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 at 21:50 (GMT -5)

Ok, the new color tags are in now. The old style still work for the sake of backward compatability, but they are depreciated and I removed them from the documentation.

See the formating help for details. Also added a "color mixer", basicaly just type in a number between 0 and 255 for red, green and blue and you'll get the HTML color code wich you can paste into the new color tags. Same goes for the new bgcolor tag (same thing except for background colors).

Next project is fixing some of the bugs in the URL recognition code and add a better (BBcode'ish) URL tag.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/5/2005 at 21:56 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

geez i play rogue games for the nostalgia, not to be "pretty" the original Ultima was um primitive compared to ADOM... I still play it to try and beat my 37 minute win....i still play ROGUE to actually WIN the game, never happened,'Dungeons of Rah?'
ZORK, im 30 i like adom, colors dont matter much, unless it is a few select monsters...
to bad people outgrow games like this.....
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

yeah but it's kinda hard to tell from a "D" whether your'e talking about a baby white dragon or an ancient blue dragon. Hence the color. And the shades help you be specific with that too.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: