Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Your weapon class?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4945 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

Which weapon classes do you train usually? And how much? I usually stick to a certain weapon class at the beginning and use only it for the rest of the game, in order to gain Grand Mastery in it. Even if I happen to get a good weapon out of my chosen class (like Skullcrusher if I've chosen daggers) I only drop it as useless lump. I usually (always when going for ultra) choose polearms for R-C-trident / TotRR.

My question: do you think it is wise? Is there that much difference between level 13 and 15? Should I use better weapon if I found one?
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

Polearms to start out, then any good artifact weapon.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

Well, in my current game I haven't got any nice weapons. I'm using an orcish spear of eagle (+1,id8+3), mostly to train that class. I got L14 at polearms in the ToEF and soon will get R-C-Trident. GM looks pretty sure, if I survive long enough.

Btw Iridia, what does that "Die Gedanken sind Frei..." actually mean? What language it is?

The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
morio_unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

Sounds like german to me, but I don't know what it means
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5201 days, 13 hours, 9 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 14:17 (GMT -5)

Personally I'll switch as soon as I get a significantly better weapon. I generally try to start out with a shield+spear but if I find a bloody dagger, a mace of destruction, a decent artifact weapon, etc. I'll generally switch to that immediately and keep my spear (or whatever) as a backup. Generally I find something better in a different weapon class before I really get that far in the game, so it doesn't heavily impact progress towards high marks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

German. It means "The Thoughts are Free" (implication that they can lock you up, but they can't lock up your mind). It's the title of a song--dates back to at least the 1940s, if not further--that has been used by a lot of underground movements, including the students who opposed the Third Reich.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/3/2005 at 14:37 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6515 days, 51 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

I like swords.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 at 18:26 (GMT -5)

Axes, woot! Dwarf obsession? I think so

I also enjoy Maces and Flails. As you can get great damage out of them early, and i -always- find an adamantite flail, every single game, i swear it.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

I fancy spears with shield or if I can't find them, 2handers.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 4 hours, 44 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

Alex: Was that an 8-bit Theatre reference? Probably not, but that's what I instantly thought of.

Now that I'm doing ultra-endings, polarms. I used to just use whatever my best weapon was.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Vexander
Registered user
The Jolly Necromancer!

Last page view:

7000 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 15:57 (GMT -5)

Sometimes I go with flails, but usually it's swords for me. I like to play Chaotic PCs, so unless I happen to find Moon Sickle lying about, I tend not to worry about polearms so much.
Hobgoblins taste like chicken!
Ashandarei_
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

You really use Moon sickle? Doesn't it corrupt you?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Moon sickle is a good weapon with great damage (+6, 10d4+6) [+2, +2], I don't use it all the time, but sometimes when I need that little extra to the damage and have a good skill in polearms, it's great help.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

Nah, dual daggers rule. And not only Sting and Needle, normal ones + a little smithing and theyre great
For the Horde!
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5201 days, 13 hours, 9 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

Moon Sickle doesn't corrupt too much, and only when you actually attack with it (not just carrying it); about 4 points (1000 = a corruption) per attack.
Portrait
Vexander
Registered user
The Jolly Necromancer!

Last page view:

7000 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

Ash, to answer yer original question, yes, I think Moon Sickle rocks >:-) I preffer spellcasters, so I don't rely nearly as much on the artifact's powers as much as I do on spells. Therefore, the corruptions it does cause aren't usually that much more than my poor PCs tend to suffer anyway. (Around 3 extra, off the top of my head, last I compared.)
Hobgoblins taste like chicken!
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 16 hours, 35 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 at 00:24 (GMT -5)

I like to use staves, just for the heck of it. It´s quite a challenge to stick to it and survive, but hey, isn´t that what roleplaying is about?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 at 01:46 (GMT -5)

Yeah. Staves don't do that much damage, but they really increase your DV.
InferisMortenum
Registered user
Blessed by Satan

Last page view:

6362 days, 13 hours, 14 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

I'm currently playing with gnomish paladin,born with Candle starsign.Just found a NICE weapon in UD.Adamantium warhammer of penetration (+1, 2d3+6)
Anyway, I use whatever weapon if it's good and usually try to get Grand Mastery or at least skill lv 13.I prefer Crossbows when using missiles.

One hundred warriors of Lucifer, they brought the fire with them
And they made storm of fire, that blew over paradise
And behold, one hundred and six, monsters from the inferno
They brought the nuclear destruction, that devastated The Holy Realm

Barathrum - Last day in Heaven
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

I don't usually bother for masteries. I have about 3-5 classes at 5-6. Why? I just use what I happen to find. Whenever I find a <foo> of penetration, I use it. And I usually dual-wield. I hardly ever get GM, but most people don't so I don't really bother. my main goal is to keep the char alive.
But if I have a hammer and a spear of about the same potency, I use both ^_^ or a shield with the spear. I switch a lot... I usually don't use flails, 2-handers, staves, clubs... so mostly daggers, 1-h polearms, swords, shields.
too much blabbering...
Zephyr offline
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

I like Two handers and polearms. It all started when my (now lvl.32 Highest yet) Human Wiz found a spear that was something like +3 1d8+4 or something. Coupled with a Medium Crystal shield [+9 +4]. Then, As I was boppin' through the graveyard... "Whats this? Two-Handed sword [50s]?" Equiped it and it was.... Eternium Two Handed Sword +18 6d5+20!!! Did the Happy Hamster hop, wielded it and killed some stuff. Now he's using the Cow Axe, which suprisingly is a Two-Hander, and is really nice with +12 3d20+16 [-6 +4] or whatever. I pretty much kill anything I hit. His strength is 35 normally and is boosted to 40-50 because of Fire orb and Apish corruption.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5620 days, 13 hours, 9 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

Usually swords or polearms and sometimes also maces/flails. Though ATM my winner beastfighter is slaughtering things left, right and centre barehanded. Even greater titans, diamond golems and greater molochs fall to my PCs fists of fury.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
*Chaos Muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

Monks monks monks!!! KICK ASS!!!!
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 11:11 (GMT -5)

Anyone encountered an eternium golem ever? I once wished for one, damn tough bastard.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6975 days, 23 hours, 50 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 11:16 (GMT -5)

Yup, there usually (always? dunno) is one in golem vault, that tougher one (stone, iron) not that with clay ones.
Morio_unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2005 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

I've seen a few eternium golems, always in vaults. The PV is really extreme
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 4 hours, 44 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 at 13:05 (GMT -5)

Yup, I've seen eternium golems in vaults too.

The only character I ever got grand mastery with was a drakish monk, who achieved that in the mana temple. (In unarmed, of course.)

I also found a ring of weakness in that game, and a greater giant vault. It's amazing what that lizard could take out with his bare fists.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

I think diamond golem is tougher (and much more common) than eternium golem. At least I had no trouble killing eternium golem in melee, but I'm always afraid of diamond golems...

Eternium golems can be found from golem lesser vaults.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 00:25 (GMT -5)

Eternium golems are a lot tougher than diamond ones IMO. But you usually find diamond golems when you are not that experienced. And if you manage to find a golem vault that has an eternium golem in it, you are already very experienced and EG isn't that bad anymore. But imagine meeting an EG when you are lvl 20 :|
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

arrows/quarrels of construct slaying help a lot when facing an Eternium Golem
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: