Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / [POLL] anti-cheat protection

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

The_CyberShadow
Registered user
Loading l33t animation...

Last page view:

6288 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

For the uninitiated:
Next versions of ADOM will include better anti-cheat protection. That means you won't be able to cheat using programs like TSearch, GenTrain and ArtMoney. You can also forget about AdomBot's cheating features.

My point is, I doubt such a protection will add to ADOM's popularity. I heard there are people for whom the mere possibility to cheat this way completely spoiled the game. Yet, save-scumming can become quite annoying as well - sometimes you just re-live your deaths.

Note that I don't mean cheating to experiment with the game mechanics, but cheating to make the game easier (for some time, until you can play the game without it). I also don't mean save-scumming, which can't be prevented anyway.

I'd like to hear YOUR opinion about it.

If you were absolutely new to ADOM, would you like the game to have anti-cheat protection?
Yes  No
Check results

Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4940 days, 22 hours, 55 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

Well, I have none of those programs and I never save-scum anymore. It is cheating! ;) But savescumming is a good way to learn game mechanics and tactics. That's how I learned to play.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6610 days, 23 hours, 19 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 04:04 (GMT -5)

I don't care at all whether there is some anti-cheat protection or not.

I also save-scummed in the beginning (that was 4 or 5 years ago), even to the point of an avatar ending. I scummed pools for wishes and if I had means of other cheating at my hands I might have (had?) generated nice items. I wanted to see all those places and try those spoily things I read of. I enjoyed this a lot, actually I wouldn't have played the game for very long otherwise.
Now I enjoy trying to win without save-scumming. For me it's more a different layer of the game than the right or wrong way to play it. I would have stopped playing adom, like all other pc games before, if this you-might-die-around-the-next-corner-way of playing didn't exist.
Do you understand what I mean?

I don't bother cheating in the way you mean. But if other people enjoy it, that's ok, since the main purpose of games is fun, what we should never forget in discussions like that.

So I vote "no", because the implementation of such protection would cost time that could be spent for better developments and has no benefit in my eyes. Everyone plays the game in the way they like to.

The_CyberShadow wrote:
"I heard there are people for whom the mere possibility to cheat this way completely spoiled the game."

That sounds pretty stupid in my ears. Adom is a single player game. If I don't want to cheat, save-scum, leave the SMC before I reach level 50, or whatever, that's solely my decision.
????
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

I don't cheat in ADOM, and i think it's very annoying when others get further in the game because they do. That is why I voted yes.
Seve
Registered user
HallelujaaGobble!

Last page view:

6445 days, 16 hours, 34 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

There are allways ppl who cheat in games like in real life. I myself have never savescummed in adom and thus far not once finished this game in two years of time! I've been put down atleast ten times by this game and sworn not to ever touch it again but alas here I'm playing it again :-D As I said somewhere b4 I will play this game thru atleast once or die trying!

Now doing best ever with char of lvl 29. I wonder what is behind next corner...

P.S. And voted yes just for principle of not cheating.
HallelujaaGobble!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/31/2006 at 09:02 (GMT -5) by Seve]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5027 days, 20 hours, 12 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

wow, this post is over 2 years old...
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5054 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

Lol.

One of the main reasons I love Adom is because of the 'If you die, you die' aspect (besides the fantasy elements). Just like real life, makes you think that little bit more than other games. I always back up my game anyway, cos my laptop loves to overheat at times and crash, the game loves to crash, or I get power cuts, but I'm always honest with myself and let my character die if it was my own fault, and not due to any outside interence.

But like with any other game, save scumming is a good way to learn about the game, although its much more exciting when you do something for the first time, and you know you can't ressurect it you died. Love the extra spice.....

------

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1887 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 15:30 (GMT -5)

I don't think that adding any anti-cheat methods is necessary...I don't cheat, I do backup my characher for the same reasons as PeanutGod.

In Fact, the "Death is death" type of playing has affect almost all of my other gaming habits...I don't feel right anymore when my character dies on any game (Diablo 2, morrowind, Fallout 1/2...I know these are old school games but they are good ones i still play) and I have the option of reloading. It doesnt feel right anymore.

Damn ADOM
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

Heh, gotta agree with you there Naiyor. Dying in other games always feels like failure now. As for the whole cheat protection thing, I was under the impression TB wanted to introduce this to stop "invasion" of the source code - people deriving things about the game through reading into the game's memory use etc, instead of through normal gameplay. Thomas wants to keep an air of "mystery" to some of the game engine, which has mostly disappeared in the last 5 years of code-diving.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: