Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / alignment and crimelord

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Gorosh
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 20:46 (GMT -5)

here's the deal:

my lvl 11 wizard is LN, and after finishing puppy cave, SE cave, and picnic through ID, i went to kill crime lord in holeinthewall, before going into pyramid. i went to hole, and sheriff decided to follow me. he gave me amulet of order there and i equiped it, then killed crime lord (i think wearing it before killing crime lord negated negative alignment shift, otherwise usual - am i right?). anyway, after that i recieved another AoO (so basically i can sell one now - how much are they worth?)and lawful boost. ok, so i'm not LN anymore, now i'm L, and that's not so cool, 'cause i didn't yet get skills from Yergius. the question is should i: 1. go on a little rampage now to neutralize my alignment, 2. do everything again, but first learn skills, then good deeds, 3. just continue being positive hero :).

are there some other quest in late early/middle game where it's wiser to be N or...?

i never became L so early on, and i always had impression that it is much better to hang around N till middle/late game, no?

thanks
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5194 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 23:15 (GMT -5)

It's not too terribly hard to bring yourself back up to Lawful, so go ahead and drop yourself to neutral for the training... simply wearing that amulet of order will bring you back up to LN, and then you can do a few other deeds to bring yourself back up (whipping yourself is a good one).
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

If you're planning on being crowned lawful eventually, I'd suggest that you stay lawful except when you have a specific reason to become neutral. E.g. you may want to be neutral when you see the dwarven mystic (lawfuls get an artifact axe, neutrals may get SoCR).

Changing alignment damages your piety, so be careful when sacrificing.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

"(i think wearing it before killing crime lord negated negative alignment shift, otherwise usual - am i right?)"
- No it doesnt. Amulet of Order slowly brings up your alignment. Effect based on PC level, and blessed/uncursed/cursed status. Guidebook used to state that the mulet of balance reduces all alignment shifts. (Less alignment loss, also less gain) It recommends wearing balance before committing chaotic acts. It does not negate shift either.

Going from N to L is very easy with a Lawful altar too. Wear some crap in missile slot, then sac 1 gp repeatedly until you become lawful. Those skills are very nice to get from the thief. I usually take any character that starts L down to N right away to get pickpocket, then stay N until I have bought all skills and training in climbing and stealth (if needed).

Amulet will bring you up beyond LN, wont it? I do know it becomes less effective (goes down to zero) as you level up. But I could have sworn that it did go further up than LN. Hrm.
If not, a lawful altar will also take you up to L pretty easy unless your too high level.

Oh, the one he gives when he follows you into lawinthewall should be uncursed, while killing crime lord reward is at least always blessed.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/4/2005 at 04:36 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5194 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 14:39 (GMT -5)

It might, I forget exactly. Definately can't bring you to L+ though.
Ashandarei_
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

Nonsense. I always get that L+ by wearing an amulet of order. It even doesn't take that long time. You'll get L+ about in same time as live-sacrificing until you are extremely close to your deity. I've proved that great many times ;) But if you are very experienced, like lvl 40 or so, it does practically nothing. Then you'll have to whip yourself. But I don't understand why somebody would want to get lawful crowning that late.
Arch-mage
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 at 02:51 (GMT -5)

Amulet of orders brings my level 40 char from about zero to 4600 white stones in a few days. The main advantage of AoO that you can do something important while it works for you :-)
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5603 days, 7 hours, 24 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

Amulets of order can put you all the way up to L+ (as long as you aren't too high level), but sacrificing on a lawful altar doesn't change raise your alignment if you're any flavor of lawfulness already. So if sacrificing a coin on a lawful altar put you to LN, and you want to get precrowned lawful, the only way you can get to L with that altar is by getting to NL again somehow, sacrificing another coin on the lawful altar, and hoping you get to L that time.

Same with chaotic altars, if you're already chaotic you won't get any more chaotic sacrificing on it.

I'm sure most of you know this, but it didn't seem too clear in previous posts.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4938 days, 14 hours, 32 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

But sacrificing at neutral altars does get you to N=.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6969 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

Give money to beggars... 1000gp a time. It can make you go all the way to L+
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 15:47 (GMT -5)

I was going for a precrowning yesterday, while wearing the AoO. Was it my imagination or did I achieve "extremely close" status quicker than usual?

Also, what's the deal with using the AoO when converting alters. I've gotten the impression from somewhere (probably here) that there is an effect. THough what it is I have no idea.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: