Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Cursing upon restoring a game!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Supaplex
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 04:09 (GMT -5)

Occasionally, I get this strange message just after restoring my game:

"You feel as if you have run out of luck!"

Consequently my inventory is cursed. It's quite annoying since my char has been quite lucky this far (I found 2 non-guaranteed artifacts in the early-game).

Does anyone know, why does this happen?

The_CyberShadow
Registered user
Loading l33t animation...

Last page view:

6292 days, 21 hours, 58 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 07:06 (GMT -5)

You get this message when ADOM detects that the savegame file has been tampered with.

I can think of 3 reasons:

1) You've been messing with the save file yourself;
2) Some virus is making a mess of your files (unlikely);
3) You have hardware problems (75% it's because of faulty RAM).

Have you noticed any other glitches while using your PC?

[OT] Have you completed Supaplex? How far are you into the extra level packs?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/12/2005 at 07:07 (GMT -5) by The_CyberShadow]
Supaplex
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

Well, I haven't been messing with the save file and my RAM should work fine but my computer does crash sometimes. Could the save file be broken during a crash?

Talking about other problems, I can't play ADOM fullscreen. WinXP just gives an error message when I press alt+enter or start ADOM straight in fullscreen. Font and all the colors are a bit different from fullscreen mode and the game slows down greatly.

[OT] :) Haven't played Supaplex for ages and I can't really remember. I'm sure I haven't played any extra levels though.

The_CyberShadow
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 07:10 (GMT -5)

If the save-game file does get corrupted due to computer crashes, ADOM would probably refuse to load the save-game (I'd expect an error or crash).

Also, since you mentioned you use Windows XP, you should know that a computer running Windows XP, with properly working hardware, drivers and other low-level soft (debuggers, anti-viruses etc.) shouldn't crash at all.

I suggest you get one of those hardware-testing programs and run a thorough complete system check.

As for your full-screen problem - you're running the DOS version, right? Then, go get ADOM-Sage! It's a pure console Win32 application, so you can get both full-screen and lag-free gameplay. Save-game files are also compatible.
Supaplex
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 09:28 (GMT -5)

Unfortunately ADOM-Sage didn't help and I still get the same message trying to go fullscreen. I use Dos version of ADOM on my other computer with WinXP and it works fine... but it has other problems like random restarts and blue-screens (yes, with XP). ADOM-Sage did help with lag so thanks!

Windows XP doesn't crash itself but sometimes it just can't recover if some program crashes. It just freezes or restarts.

I suspect that there is something wrong with my hardware but i'm sceptical about any utility solving the problem. It might be videocard or something...
Supaplex
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 06:49 (GMT -5)

After my inventory was cursed I prayed for help and my god did uncurse the equipment I was wearing so I could move around. I found out that my whole inventory was scatterd around the level while the same stuff was in my bakcpack. Is this part of "running out of luck"? If not, then ADOM surely detected the doubled artifacts. I assume this some sort of bug.

Sad... I found BoW in puppy-cave and my only problem was gaining xp because my companion greater earth elemental just smashed all the monsters.

btw... How can a PC know he sees when he recovers from flash-trap while in a dark room?

The_CyberShadow
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

I suspect that there is something wrong with my hardware but i'm sceptical about any utility solving the problem.

I don't think that any software utility could *fix* your problem, but at least you'll know what's wrong.

btw... How can a PC know he sees when he recovers from flash-trap while in a dark room?

Don't you get "Blind" in the status line when you're blind?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/15/2005 at 18:08 (GMT -5) by The_CyberShadow]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

but how does the PC know that
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

The same way he knows how scrolls are labled and what color gems are in the dark. Just let it go.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
ChaosMuffin
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 03:31 (GMT -5)

that same thing happened to me the other day, it SUCKED!!! i was in the puppy caves and had *two* surges of power (longting and blacktome) and a massive spellshop, i saved before the bottom level and when i reloaded, i got the out of luck message, all my stuff got cursed and then scattered, shop prices were 100 time as much as before and all the creatures were nigh invincible: i sacced a kobold and went from level 8 to level 12, and when he died shortly afterwards, he didnt even have the cursed/doomed intristic. it was a very sad end for a very promising character
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4945 days, 17 hours, 18 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 00:34 (GMT -5)

"i sacced a kobold and went from level 8 to level 12" - That sounds terrifying. I have never had this bug myself - if it is bug.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 03:07 (GMT -5)

Indeed. If by saccing you get 4 lvls...and from a khobold? Gee was it lvl 150 khobold?

Might be Thomas' weird humor to annoy "cheaters". But that it does this on normal restores..
One thing comes into mind is that maybe your windows clock is screwing up. Maybe the game thinks that you save a game, so the file is created at certain date/time. If now your win clock buggs (I had a comp where it was going random figures ^^), the game upon restoring the save checks dates/times and decides that the savefile has been modified, thus initiates anticheat methods. Dunno, just a wild guess..
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5201 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 at 20:36 (GMT -5)

Can't say for sure exactly what is triggering it, but the exp gained from killing monsters is largely basedon thier HP, and HP of mobs goes through the roof when the out-of-luck mode triggers. I think I went from level 1 to level 50 after killing 9 worms with a death ray when I had been messing around with it :P Sacrificing creatures does give you a small amount of exp (I found this out once when I was trying to sacrifice enough for a pre-crown before entering the pyramid.) and that amount is assumedly a small percentage of what you would've gotten from killing it.

Here's some related screenshots:
http://adom.falldowngoboom.org/pics/ubergoblin.jpg
http://adom.falldowngoboom.org/pics/skeletonexp.jpg
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

Yikes... pretty scary stuff. Any chance it could be explained how to trigger this mode for ourselves?
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

Hack a save file?
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

You need to edit your savefile. The game will then notice that you have tampered with it and you'll run out of luck.
For example, you can change your character's name (which appears in the beginning of the save file, just after the version number). This should not have any other effect on your character (but I am not sure, it could). (After changing the name, change the filename to match the character's name in the file.)
The problem is, what editor you will use to change it. You want one that will change only the bytes you change, nothing else. I have checked the text file editors that come with windows, NotePad and WordPad, and they *do* make unwanted modifications. (NotePad replaces bytes 0 (nothing) with 32 (space), and WordPad changes something with end-of-line marks.) I used the built-in editor from the FAR Manager, and it works correctly.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: