Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Vanpuisher or BoW

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sebastian
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

I got precrowned with BoW, but playing a Dark Elven Barbarian, i dont now, if Vanquisher would be the better gift.

What do u generally think about Vanqisher, do you need it for an Barbarian or is a Eternium 2h Sword good enough?
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

I'd say you are fine with eddy 2 hander, BoW is indeed very powerful.
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5606 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

It doesn't really matter, since you can't choose which you get. You can't even choose to get precrowned with vanquisher if you're save scumming, since vanquisher is crowning only, and crowning gifts are decided at the beginning of the game.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Sebastian
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

It was just a general question about the two gifts.
I love the BoW for the obvios reasons, but never got Vanquisher in any game, so i dont know if this would be worth the try of a 2. precrowning...

But since i found a 2h Eternium Sword in Dark Forge, i just thanks the RNG for the Bracers ;->
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher is the worst curse you can get, you start to feel invincible, which is exactly what the RNG is waiting for...
Battle bunny
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 01:26 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher RULEZ!!! If you have it, Then you slice balors and molochs like your breakfast bread.
Naiyor*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

So far I have had three orc barbarians get vanquisher...and one of them had Vanq and BoW...you are completely right about the invincibility complex you develop. That was one barb who should have beaten the game.

To answer the question I still think that I prefer vanquisher if I am a barb. If I am anything else I would prefer BoW.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6511 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 16:08 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher is pretty damn hot, and objectively speaking it's better than BoW. However, there's a great guaranteed alternative to Vanquisher (cow axe, although it takes a while before you can get it) whereas no other bracers come close to BoW. So I'm happier to find BoW.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4942 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher overrides the cow axe anytime IMO. But it's a pity you get it so rarely :(
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 16 hours, 59 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

For his char, the cow axe could be better. BoW increases critical hits, the AotME increases critical hits and dark elves have the find weakness skill, giving critical hits. He'd be hitting monsters with critical hits all the time despite not having the slaying abilities of the Vanquisher.

But usually if you can get Vanquisher it's available much earlier than the cow axe, making the early(ish) game extremely easy. So that's another plus side to the Vanquisher.

Oh, and "I have a 95% chance of critical hits." isn't as FUN as "I slay all monsters I whack with this sword!" :P
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Sebastian
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

actually I'm on my way to get the Cow Axe, but This silly labyrinth is really anoying.
I dont find the stupid emperor, just step in one trap after another...

Oh and another question, do the blows decrease the to-hit?
They seem to hit far less then my normal hits.
Thanks so far

Sebastian
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 16 hours, 59 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

"do the blows decrease the to-hit? They seem to hit far less then my normal hits."

What blows? What are you talking about? :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Sebastian
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

I am very sure I am talking about something else than you imagine...
and just to make it clear, I was talking about the special attacks of the barbarien ;-P
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5590 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

I'll go for BoW just to be different.

Having been crowned with Vanquisher on a few occaisions I'll definately agree with most others that the feelings of invincibillity ensure you come to a bloody death some time shortly afterwards.

OTOH, the regen and chance to score criticals on BoW are more passive but equally brutal to Vanquishers might - not to mention the dex bonus and the fact that you can still wield that tower crystal sheild.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/9/2005 at 08:49 (GMT -5) by Krusty]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

Vanquisher is good, but has 2 weak points - it's base damage is lower then an eterinium 2-hander, and it does NOT slay everything. It only slays demons, dragons, undead, constructs, humanoids, giants and jellies. Which leaves animals, insects and fantasy beasts without critical hits! That includes the Killer Bugs and the annoying Gorgons, which always show up when you don't have resistance to their breath.
The Cow Axe also gives confusion resistance, which is always usefull to have.

And as for the "Blows", I assume you mean the 6th and 18th level special abilities. No they don't, it's just the Random Number Generator, that always seems to generate the lowest numbers when you most need them.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: