Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Them cats

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nehor
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

A cat started pursuing my gnomish elementalist and just wouldn't give up. So I took it to a river, froze parts with frost bolt, swam away and used fire bolt to cut the cat off from the shore. <feels evil> And no kitty karma loss :D
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6994 days, 14 hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

ugh i hate them. one of my current wizards has slow monster, magic lock and knock so i've taken to leading them into rooms, slowing them and locking them in. as my last character with great potential got offed by the cat lord (about 4 cats i think in total got killed) i'm being more cautious
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5769 days, 3 hours, 50 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

DaN, good strategy for dealing with cats, but if you accidentally kill any, it may be useful to know that the cat lord is vulnerable to humanoid slaying ammo.
Phibby&Dol
Registered user
Incarnation of Illu

Last page view:

6996 days, 16 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 at 09:17 (GMT -5)

Invisibility spell I usually use ^^
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6994 days, 14 hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

i seem to find lots of jelly slaying ammo and a few construct slayer arrows and that's it. i can't remember the last time a character of mine found any humanoid or dragon slaying ammo :(

invisibility will get you past the cat but it's a short term solution, especially in those levels that you'll travel through frequently

btw, i read somewhere that if you create a trap that kills a cat you could get the blame (the cat lord gets his knickers in a twist with you) but does this happen if you make a loose board trap and get other monsters to kill the cat. traps have to be the best way of disposing of cats
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6307 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 at 14:20 (GMT -5)

As far as I know it's okay to use alarm traps (loose board) to cause other monsters to kill a cat. It shouldn't count as a kill.
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5590 days, 14 hours, 47 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 at 08:36 (GMT -5)

Just kill all cats on sight.
So satisfying to slay the cat lord and gain 4 or 5 levels at that annoying time in the game where it seems that you are just marking time.

Is the RotMC worth all the trouble of avoiding killing felines?
Yes  No
Check results

Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4959 days, 8 hours, 38 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

But it's worth doing it once, just because it's there. Like going down that rift: it is hardly never necessery, but you've heard so much about it it's darn annoying not to have done it..
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
dosquarts
Registered user
Cooked lizard

Last page view:

6307 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 13:03 (GMT -5)

Same here, so far I've never managed to get to meet the cat lord without having killed any cats, so I'm trying this for the challenge.

Never had any trouble killing the guy, by this stage of the game I always seem to have a wand of paralyzation with me, and he's extremely vulnerable to it (he's never resisted it in any of my games), and it really makes him a sitting duck. Almost free exp, you could say.
Portrait
Huston
Registered user
Ground Control

Last page view:

6936 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 at 02:17 (GMT -5)

Untill now I had luck with catīs.
Met the cat lord twice and got the ring.

How I deal with catīs..

- the Slow Monster or Calm Monster spell is o.k.
- or just outrun them. I always take care of my speed. Has to be as high as possible.
- setting tactics to "coward" and continue life like there would be no cat may sometimes work. After a while the cat getīs bored of attacking and getīs "neutral" - if that happens at the same time while a other hostile monster is approaching, there is the chance that the other monster will do the job for u. Otherwise the cat will become "hostile" again. (The same counts for the "Calm Monster" spell)
- also nice: "You hear a distant wind" but better be prepared to deal with that kind of solution.
(Usualy they apear earlyer or later when staying at one place for to long...)
- or when you are lucky to have some fish with you.. feed it!
- Sometimes I could "morph/excange" the cat into a other monster and so I could savely kill her. (there is a little risk in that)
- Or just teleport her away.. if you can.

think there are many good wayīs and that itīs not worth to fear the catīs.
They are realy only nasty flyīs in the later game, when your DV/PV is high enough.

-H-
""""""""""""""""
" SPELL IT "
""""""""""""""""

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?