Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Alignment in other games

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 hours, 34 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

Well sort of. It always bugs me that all most other "role" playing games, always seems to type cast the player as a hero.

That's what I like about roguelike games, and ADOM in particular. You don't have to be a virtous avatar of order to suceed, granted I tend to play lawfull most of the time because it's just plain easier (IMHO anyway), but there is nothing to stop me from killing everyone in my path (other than a few powerfull NPC's in the towns).

In baldurs gate for example it's just plain impossible to play as chaotic. I mean sure if you run around smiting people on the streets the city guard schould react, but even if you have done nothing wrong in that particular town, those darm flaming first enforcesr notice you the second you set foot in the town and teleport in in vast numbers. Even if you by some miracle manage to kill them all there will simply teleport in twise as many a few seconds later. In other words the game in effect auto kill an evil character entering a town. You can't fight your way out no matter how powerfull you are...

Granted some towns are not as bad, down in Amn there will simply be a steady stream of relatively weak merceneries that you can hold at bay with a deacent character, but never the less, there is an endless supply of them, and not even the black marketeers want to deal wit you unless you have a virtuoius reputation, what's up with that?... And naturaly you never even get an option to let in to your dark side and join/replace your evil half brother...
Other games just make it plain impossible to slaughter innocent people, or make everyone (including vital quest givung NPC's) hostile toward you if your repuation is to low (read VERY low).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of saving the world, but soemtiems it would be fun to just "join the dark side" like you can in ADOM. Wonder if we will ever see a commercial RPG where you can actualy achieve something akin to the Ultimate chaos ending in ADOM (kill the bad guy and take over yourself instead of saving the world and such). Most games seems to give you the option to go for good repuatation or more money at the best...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 19 hours, 6 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

(Since this is not in the spoiler section: If I accidently managed to put in some spoilers in this post, many apologizes.)

Well, ADOM does work against chaotics in a number of ways. Certain quests are not available, certain rewards are not available, certain actions involving gods and altars provides more corruption to the PC. And those chaotic quests that exist usually have a poor or mediocre reward compared to other quests.

On the plus side are that the chaotic gods are... well, chaotic, when it comes to sacrifices... ;)

But your point is good. Alot of games forces the player to stay on the good hero path which is rather boring at times. But I guess they do that since they don't wanna put more time and effort into adapting the game into handling PC's looting shops, rioting cities, slaugthering innocents etc. A good example of a nice try to adapt the game to these kinds of actions is in a certain town in a certain dungeon. Though it is not entirely 100% correct, it is a progress anyway.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 hours, 34 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2001 at 21:31 (GMT -5)

I guess another reason is that commercial games have to worry about sensorship.

A lot of countries have funny ideas of what is allowed and what is not. For example the european (brittish) version of Fallout had to have all children NPC's removed (violence against children in games and movies are illegal there so to avoid problems with players mowing down children they where simply removed from the game altogether). The german version had to have all gore removed altogether (people just drop dead even if you kill them with a high explosive ricked in the face), and so forth.

But a game doesn't have to be exessively violent, just an option to play the "bad guy" once in a while, without the game summoning some nasy avenger type monster to auto-kill you if you turn nasty (like in Ultima8, I was exploring some remote dungeon and came upon a lone pesant, I tried talking to him, but he only bad-mothed me so I hit him over the head with my axe. The second I hit the game goes into "cut scene mode", the town sorcerer apear, find me gulty of murder (hey I only grazed the guy) and blow me to pieces. Gee how fun!).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7901 days, 19 hours, 6 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2001 at 16:47 (GMT -5)

Yeah the sensoring also have influence. Kinda bad at times.

Locke Cole

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: