Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What held you back in ADOM?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 5 hours, 27 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

What sort of things did you do or not do when you were new to ADOM, whether because you thought that your character wasn't ready to do it, it would severely harm your character and/or the current game, thought it was wasteful, or just didn't know what it was?

Myself:
-I never got (pre)crowned because I thought I was supposed to wait until deep in the CoC to do that. Now, I usually get crowned after I complete the Pyramid.

-I never ventured west of the river in the Drakalor Chain because I thought I was supposed to be invited to the Pyramid first. I always tried to get level 13 in the VD (hard to do) because I didn't understand how the ID worked.

-I never used SoCR, PoCR, wands, or special ammo because I didn't want to waste them.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5836 days, 5 hours, 53 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

On those old times, my only problem was that I didn't know of crowning.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
#thedrin
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2005 at 00:23 (GMT -5)

1) My first ever character to enter the SMC (so probably my first) was illiterate. I was playing for months before I actually read either of the scrolls generated on the entrance. I had thought that it was impossible to read them for all characters.

2) Never used missile weapons.

3) Didn't know that you could sacrifice monsters on alters. (This changed when a goblin led me on to an obsidian alter). Didn't know what precrowning was (or how to be crowned).

4) Didn't use herbs, even though I always trained up herbalism as quickly as possible once I knew the usefullness of herbs, it was a long time before I actually started to use them.

5) I still get to complacent around ghuls (a thief I generated on Friday morning found a 2 handed eternium sword in the SMC) Like 90% of my promising characters who die early in the game, paralysis got him.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

I got stuck a lot of times because I didnt know one could (k)ick down locked doors :)
Thought I was supposed to get the keys somehow.

Typical for me was to see the use for direct combat-type skills, (healing and find weakness and archery, like) and wondering what the heck those "useless" character-skills like Alchemy, Herbalism, Bridge Building were good for...
(I still have naver used bridge building though)
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

My early chars think that there is only one type of altar and the Gods are bitchy.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

As well, they deny the existence of 's'earch, and wipe 'f'ace commands.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1894 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

I did not know about crowning or live sacs, I had many Dwarves saccing tremendous amounts of gold without ever being crowned.

one thing that still holds me back is that I get overcofident and die in really stupid ways. I would say that 90% of my character deaths are directly related to my stupid decisions.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 4 hours, 15 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 at 01:57 (GMT -5)

I used to play better than I do now. First time I got a character to level 25-ish, I played him ultra-cautiosly and didn't go anywhere until I was totally sure I could handle it. That character made it all the way to Andor Drakon before gettting WMoPC'd (He's still my favourite character :) I think I might write him into my Warhammer campaign somewhere) Now, "wiser" from having won three times, I push every character to the limit - pyramid at level 13, TOEF at 17, MT at 30 - and get killed stupidly as a result.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Some guy *u*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

I didn't know about finding the status of items by dropping them on altars, so to know as much as possible about items I played nothing but merchants for quite a while.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4947 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 at 04:46 (GMT -5)

I never got precrowned, because I thought it'd waste my chances to get crowned. I tried to clean darkforge with lvl 15 archers...
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Krusty
Registered user
the clown

Last page view:

5596 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 09:42 (GMT -5)

Being paranoid about killing cats.
I used to do anything I could not to kill them.
Now I realize that the ring is very often not worth the trouble and killing the master cat after doing in 20 or so of his subordinates is not only fun but also worth gazillions of exp points.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/8/2005 at 09:43 (GMT -5) by Krusty]
N(MBLNG)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

I try to spare cats. Especialy if I'm a class that can benifit from a good Dex.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

13 hours, 34 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

My main problem is that I have this compullsion to want to kill all the monsters on each level and pick up every last item. As a result I'm chasing rats and what not all over the place while "Strained!" and end up wasting a LOT of game time... When I come to a dangerous area I have a hard time letting go, and keep fighting when I should be cutting my losses, throwing overboard some ballast and run like hell...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
N(MBLNG)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

I have a problem of harding junk, too. I should make a point every game to find a ring of weakness and train my strength.
ForTex
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

MY problem was that when a mud hit my face i didnt wipe 'f'ace, so i travelled blind until i got killed. :S
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 22 hours, 46 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 23:39 (GMT -5)

These are problems i still have now, and can't correct.

-I'm a huge packrat player. I'd rather walk around strained than dump a few scrolls that i wont even use. Back in the gammas and 1.0.0, there were no talents that addressed carrying capacity, so its actually become less of a trouble as the newer version came out.

-I don't run. When i start a fight with a monster, and REALLY can't kill it, i will search for every method with which to dispatch it, despite it being little importance to anything but a small sense of pride. (i.e. i will berserk, chuck every damaging potion i have at it, unload all my ammo if it slays it, create traps and make it walk into them, web it, zap every wand i have at it)

Of course wands and potions were meant to help kill difficult monsters, but i wind up losing a lot of items in a fight of little neccessity, i.e. level before darkforge, steel golem, when i can just as easily leave and come back at a later time.

-I kill every cat i see. I can't help it, i dont have the patience to spare monsters. To date i have never gotten the ring, having played for years and finishing the game numerous times.

-That mud spa thing was a problem when i didnt know about the guidebook and was playing through the game in a nonspoiled manner. It really created a WTH!?!?! situation when it happened the first few times.

-I was a nethack player before ADOM. I had a slightly different view on altars, figuring they worked the same way.... nope.....

-Plain bad descisions. Heres a situation.
HP: 24(105) me "i can survive another hit.. then use a blessed PoEH... to recover all the HP"

monster crits me. dead.

The thing is i usually still have all 5 of my guarunteed blessed PoEH and probably a fair stack of PoUH as well. Why i try to play conservatively is beyond me when i wind up dead anyway and the character is just gone.

Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 00:08 (GMT -5)

How much did the blessed PoEH heal you? I tried with a lvl 50 character and blessed PoEH and PoUH both healed around 333 points of damage.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: