Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / I need some help

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Nate
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2005 at 23:28 (GMT -5)

i just started playing this game and its really awesome

i finished that carpenter quest and one that the sherif told me to do but i still have to find a little girl's lost puppy lol

i have explored the whole of the dungeon to the northeast of the town near where you start and i got to a fortess city but there was no dog there so i went back out and now im back in the city near where you start but the girl is still looking for her puppy. how do i find this thing?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

8 hours, 51 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 03:06 (GMT -5)

The puppy quest is a time limited "challenge" quest. Not something you need to worry too much about, only a lawfull boost (and possebly a bit of candy) as a reward.

It sounds like you are looking in the wrong place though, the cave connecting to the fortres city is not where the dog is, it's dungeon is almost right nex to the start location and you have to explore that area again after talking to the girl before the cave show up on your map.

As mentioned it's also time limited so it's extremely hard to complete all the early quests, the sheriff quest has a level cutof so if you go for the puppy first chances are you'll be too high level to complete it by the time you get out (pluss it's a fairly dangerous cave for a low level char (depending on class and race naturaly). On the other hand it can be hard to find the raider lord and still have enough time to finish the puppy quest wihin it's time limit, so the two quests are almost muturaly exlusive and the reward for the sheriff quest is a lot better.

The cutoff points are (IIRC):

Spoiler
The raider lord will no longer be available if you advance higher than level 5 (4 for trolls I think), and the puppy will be dead if you do not reach the level it's on by the end of game day 4 (you can drop by it's level and then go back out again though, if it was generated alive it won't die "off screen" while you are away). It can also be killed by hostile monsters while you explore the level though.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Nate
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

wow ok, this game doesn seem very noob-friendly lol
Nate
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

ok now i have a problem because to continue through this dungeon i need to pass through a wall or something to that effect cause the stairway is down a passage behind it
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6630 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Nate, ADOM is not much friendly as u think because u have run into one of the most nasty situation for noob :) To be able to pass the wall u cant do anything but kicking on every single wall square till a "strange" message was generated. It is strange because that square is not a wall so when u find it, try your best to kick it down. Best luck, dont die of starvation ;)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 06:23 (GMT -5)

Hmm I usually (S)earch for hidden doors :\ After a while you get the hunch of where it most likely will be, won't take much time, and you can kick yourself to death :>
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 21 hours, 34 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

you can kick all the wall sections until you get that special msg and THEN search and search right next to that spot so you dont waste time food ect. youll probably still have to kick the door down though unless you have lots of keys
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 23 hours, 52 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

I agree with Warlord. If there is a large area of any given level I cant reach, I know theres a secret door bordering somewhere on the area. And when you search you can check 3 wall sections at once...like this:
#
#@
#
(all walls will be searched for hidden doors now)

Remember the 'w' key.
Press w then s and you will search for a long while, or until a monster shows up or you find something.

Like the little girl's dog cave, there are more locations that become visible only after you do something first. Some locations you must (s)earch for in the wilderness, and some you can't enter unless you fulfil certain requirements.

Great game, yes it is indeed.

Best hint is still RUN when in doubt.
If you have problems outpacing your opponents, try to take a closer look at the talents you get when you start or gain levels and find out if any of them help in running. Some of them do.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/8/2005 at 09:31 (GMT -5) by Molach]
lurking tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 at 10:35 (GMT -5)

The elements making me favor kicking than searching is time. With my current setup, it takes 20 turns to search 3 squares. Oh well, rather kicking them. It is your style anyway.
Nate
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

thanks guys that helped me out quite a bit, i opened up the wall then after a bit of searching i found the puppy but it turned out to be a corpse :( . it was so sad, the small girl was left crying *sniff* oh well. im stuck now though since i seem to have nothing to do and i keep running out of food. what do you think shoud be my next corse of action in continuing the game?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

Go to the Caverns of Chaos.I leave you to find it.

Spoiler
OK, here it is: it's the place covered by hilld from 8 directions, northwest from big forest.

On there you should go to D: 3-5 and find the Arena, there you can buy a ton of food. I advise cooked lizard.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help