Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / choosing a weapon...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6824 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 at 06:26 (GMT -5)

im about to go up against the ancient chaos wyrm with a lvl 20 wiz now i have plenty of potions of blindness and confusion so i just need to finish him off fast before he recovers now!
my character is lucky he has both Wyrmlance AND an eternium halberd of devastation
+15, 8d7+14 i believe the wyrmlance is only
+14, 4d8+10 so devastation does more damage but wyrmlance does critical always how much extra damage does critical do is the basic questions...
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 10 hours, 58 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 at 16:05 (GMT -5)

I don't know how you think the halberd does more damage, because it doesnt. Im basing this off the figures you put there, if you made a typo on the numbers, im not going to bother to look them up.

Use wyrmlance, it will work much better. Though, Melee itself isn't a great idea. Use dragon slaying ammo, or a wand of poison or paralyzation. If hes paralyzed, feel free to poke him with Wyrmlance
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

13 hours, 44 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 at 08:33 (GMT -5)

Well the halberd have better dice (asuming it's the first number), but taking slayer and criticals into acount Wyrmlance would be far superiour.

Thomas have said that critical hits have a dammage multiplyer of 2-4 (at least monsters do I asume the player formula is simmilar), meaning critical hits pack at least twise a big a punch as a regular hit.

People can't seem to agree on the exact effect of slaying weapons. However for demon slaying missiles the effect seems to be that dammage is multiplied by 3-6.

Don't think the effects of critical hits and slayer weapons are cumulative though. Not exactly sure how the formula would work, but let's just conclude that critical hits and slaying weapons are usualy far better than weapons with just a big dammage dice and nothing else.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

sorry if it was confusing
wyrmlance +14,4d8+10 (14/42 dmg)
devastation +15,8d7+15 (23/71 dmg)
ok so the general concencus is that criticals do at least 2x the damage.. cool. wyrmlance for multi headed chaos wyrm and devastation for everything else (cept dragons)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/12/2005 at 17:56 (GMT -5) by *cobaltofdoom*]
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

You've probably gone in by now but I find the dragon slaying effects of Wyrmlance to be verey dissapointing against all forms of dragons. For example, when compared to the excellent undead and demon slaying effects of the Rune Covered Trident. Of course, this could simply be because dragons have far far more HP than other enemies but given that even baby dragons don't seem to be any easier I'm doubting it.

Also, an eternium halberd of devestation is the weapon I have always wanted. I am envying your luck.

My desire to try out an eternium halberd of devestation and my less than brilliant experiences of the bonus offered by Wyrmlance would make me choose the halberd.
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 at 19:03 (GMT -5)

nah ive been putering about doing other quests .. in my furor of geting precrowned a couple times i forgot to do the pyramid quest though but i like my preserver better then the ankh
i wish a barbarian of mine would have found that eternium halberd.. that would be cool but my wiz has a spear of devastation too.. works well with shield and does a bit more dmg then wyrmlance too ;) i think its +7,5d8+9

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/13/2005 at 19:07 (GMT -5) by *cobaltofdoom*]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: