Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Herbs Are Not Growing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5888 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 02:19 (GMT -5)

Well, my character is currently a level 15 Trollish Barbarian with Herbalism at 100 but no Gardening skill. I've managed to make the Big Room safe, but when I create herb patterns, they don't grow, no matter how long I wait. I started off trying the 4-herb T formation, but it didn't do anything and I accidently picked the bottom herb completely away, so now it is a single 3-herb horizontal line. However, shouldn't it be changing between vertical and horizontal periodically?

Oh, by the way, I am new to these forums, so if I am doing any hideously wrong, I ask you to please rend the flesh from my bones in a kind and courteous fashion. Thank you!
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 19 hours, 41 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

You have to wait a long time until a generation changes.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5888 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 02:34 (GMT -5)

How long, approximately, are we talking about? Also, does the "withered" state affect herb growth at all?

Btw, thanks for the fast response! I am impressed!
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/22/2005 at 02:35 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

There is a possibility that the herbs won't grow anyway. IIRC if one plants herbs into a dungeon level where herbs didn't originally grow then these herbs will not grow. If the bigroom did have herbs to begin with then that shouldn't be the problem.

As for how long it takes, that varies quite a lot IME. When I was harvesting stomafillia in the bigroom with my mindcrafter sometimes the herbs flourished in a short while sometimes it took a fair while.

If you are not wearing hunger-increasing items then at the very least they should grow in the time it takes to get from bloated to normal.

Personally, I try to use only the 2x2 square formation if possible as I find the 1x3/3x1 pulsating formation risky. Collect one herb too much -> *POOF*

J.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 05:14 (GMT -5)

Doesn't the herb growth cease if the level lost all herb bushes and then you plant/create your own? I think I've got big room stale too.

And how do you harvest? When new generation comes, do you pick up untill it's withered or strong? I pick only enough to drop it from blossom to strong, so you can't kill a bush with 1 misspick (got puzzled by J saying you would kill the risky formation).
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6630 days, 14 hours, 9 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

I dont think herb growth cease if lvl lost all herbs. The guidebook said lvl with herbs has "herb growing" flag set. If it know about the flag, it will tell us if the flag could be de-set anyway.

You can "a"pply herbalism onto your square. The status of the herb is blossom -> strong -> weak -> wither I think. Herbs gain 1 lvl if there are 2-3 bushes next to it and die otherwise. New herbs are always blossom I think.

The 2x2 square always make new herbs bushes if 1 die, and the remaining gain 1 lvl every generation. I usually go for the 2x2, pick till 1 die, go mine the room then check back every so often :)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/22/2005 at 06:13 (GMT -5) by tongHoAnh]
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1888 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

In the newest version you canplant herbs on any level and they will grow.

I planted some herbs on the 1st level of the VD and they grew without a problem.

I usually just o the 2x2 pattern, the T is only good for moving patterns IIRC. The best thing I find to do while waiting is to just to w,s and the herbs regrow
JCool14
Registered user

Last page view:

6519 days, 21 hours, 46 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 10:06 (GMT -5)

Excuse my incompetence (I've been able to figure out most of them) but what is IIRC?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 19 hours, 41 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 at 10:28 (GMT -5)

JCool14 -> IIRC: If I Recall Correctly.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the