Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / The RNG laughs at me

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6815 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 22:35 (GMT -5)

and youll probably laugh at this too, i hope:

Ive started a new Dwarven barbarian, and i figured i would just try to hit a regular ending with this guy, nothing too time consuming.

No spectacular luck, got to the ToEF. Ive had no luck finding RoI's but ive found enough decent artifact/highermetal equipment to get me by, so onward. Though im not cursed or doomed, I drink a ! of insight, something i like to do before an important place in case i missed it. I step in, and a half a level in, get my blessed fireproof blanket blown up. i quickly haul out of there, but not before i lose a couple of potions, including 3 !oEH. Not too bad.

I scum the ID lvs 8-9 for a new blanket in an uncorrupting zone. At this point the RNG is cracking up because ive found 6 waterproof blankets and 0 fireproof ones. I finally get one, breathe a sigh of relief, bless it and head to the ToEF again. I charged up 2 wands of cold to ~10 charges. On the third floor, i get my blanket toasted again.

In disbelief, i zap my wand of tele to haul out of there. back on the first floor, the heat has time to toast ONE more item. my wand of tele. swearing loudly, i walk back to the entrance, getting more potions/scrolls/wands wasted.

On ID:4, on my way down, i find a waterproof blanket. By the time i find another fireproof blanket, i now have a heap of 14 uncursed waterproof blankets.

This time, i grab a scroll of MM for the third level, hit the assasins guild to grab that wand of tele, and just teleport to the stairs instead of walking through the levels.

Get to the temple, starting to clear stuff with wand of cold bring ACW to severely wounded with the wands when he runs behind a fire demon. Im out of charges, but no worries: brought along a few Sc. of charging for this. At this point my fireproof blanket gets toasted. In exasperation, i decide to just get this over with, and charge a wand of cold to 8 charges planning to blast the worm, grab the orb, and get out.

I zap it once, and a turn later the heat toasts my wand of cold (7 charges). At this point im almost crying, wrench the final charge from my other wand of cold, which ACW shrugs off. I drink my PoEH before the heat gets to it, walk up and polish off the ACW in melee, which i actually shouldve done in the FIRST PLACE, but being me, i was trying to avoid the corrupting melee attack. I grab the orb, the corpse and on the way back to the stairs, my wand of tele gets toasted.

Since i teleported to the stairs on the third level rather than clearing off the level, i have to fight my way back to the stairs while my inventory is getting reduced to shreds.

I make it out of the ToEF. Alive, but violated.

In my years playing this game, this is by far the worst luck i have ever had. I've never had a single gripe with the RNG, cept some scattered bad luck here and there. I thought getting crowned with Vanquisher (in my opinion the most powerful weapon in the game) was a good omen on this char.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 03:09 (GMT -5)

Entering the ToEF with only one fireproof blanket and no RoI, I have only done once. On the third level my blanket got burned up. I wasn't particularly fond of the character - nothing stood out about him that made me want to continue with him except the fact that he had made it as far as the ToEF.

I had no intention of searching for another one and I had no form of teleportation and was on the 3rd floor.

I dipped a plain blanket into a potion of raw chaos.

I got very lucky on my first dip, given that there was a 33% chance of instant death. This is the only time that I've played chaos ruoulette.
Fury
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

That has to be the worst bit of luck I've seen.
You have my deepest pity. :(

F.
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6820 days, 16 hours, 20 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:50 (GMT -5)

i think my bard took all your fire blankets ;) ive got a pile of 10 blessed ones and a ring o ice with RDplate not bad at lvl 14

the manual does not kid when it says bards find many unsual items to make up for not being fighters ;)
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 00:41 (GMT -5)

One could try also dipping other tools (spare keys, wooden sticks) into !oEx in the hope of getting those blankets. Sometimes I have dipped a pile of keys into a !oEx and got a pile of fletchery sets in exchange.

Wooden sticks are quite easy to get - jos go to ID, find an untrapped door and kick it down.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6627 days, 3 hours, 29 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 04:31 (GMT -5)

Does kicking doors sometime break your leg (1-3 dmg)?
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:09 (GMT -5)

Frederick, you are right, this makes me laugh, nicely written story, I can feel the frustration and awe when you get yet another critical item burned =)
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6815 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 00:41 (GMT -5)

Thanks warlord =)

I discovered by reading some comments that there were some things i couldve done better: for example, scumming for multiple blankets before entering ToEF. I usually dont play chaos roulette and i save !ofEx for ring stacks, but in this situation i probably shouldve taken the chance =/

Its just my good luck with the RNG in the past that has either let me find RoI's or just simply not getting blankets destroyed that has sort of led me to be less cautious about this.

I usually do gremlin picking prior to ToEF too which i missed out with this char because i wanted to just do a quick normal ending, something i thought wouldnt be troublesome with a fairly easy character like a dwarven barb.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: