Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What is wrong with me?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

HElloo folks.. can you help me please.

what is it that my character getīs more hungry all the time?

i rise in exp. and make levelīs.. got good equipment, even bl. sv.lg. boots but iīm getting only more hungry in less time.

at the beginning i could travel much longer distances without becoming hungry, but now....
iīm not burned or so, even try to drop nearly all equipment.. no effect.

whatīs wrong with me? or is it normal? what can i do?

sure, iīm finding pretty much food, but can it be, that you need 2 or 3 unc. large rations to check even one level?

W.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 07:53 (GMT -5)

Race, class, level?

Any unidentified items worn, neckales, armor?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3126 days, 10 hours, 12 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:02 (GMT -5)

Amulet of hunger, Ring/cloak of invisibility - these really suck food out of you.
Any artefact you wear increases the food consumption , but by a lesser factor (1 ring of invis =6 artefacts, 12 if you're a crowned champion), also being strained increases the food consumpiton twice.

BTW Large Rations offer little food, the same amount as Iron Rations, and less then a little bit of gnomish candy. Also the Cooked Lizards you might buy from some ratling treaders weight just 3s and are worth 1,5 large ration IIRC.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

no, no amulet of hunger equiped, also no invisibility used.

AHAAAAAAA!!!!! the artifactīs!! yes, i wear some of them (bout 8 artīs equiped.. Preserver,Natures comp.,Deathīs Sti.,Ring of imm.,Ring o.t.High.K.,Elem.gaunt.,Br.o.war,F.slay.)
"do they realy soak my hunger level down this much????" *scared* *wonder*
*WHY?*

what when i use less than 6? and how much dose the "crowned champion" effect on that?

jep, i nearly use those cooked lizīs as food. and corps o.c.

just playing lvl.19 gr.elv.wiz / l+.

W.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

According to guidebook, with 2 arts you double your food needs. That is, each one will add 50% of original. So with 8 arts and not being crowned you actually get hungry 5 times faster !!! If crowned - only 3 times as fast, since it will be 25% per art.
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 10:00 (GMT -5)

I could of sworn that 1 artifact increased food consumption by 25%, so that four doubles your consumption and 8 triples it. The percentage increase rounds down so that wearing 3 will be as if you are wearing none and wearing seven will be as if you are wearing 4.

What I want to know is how did you manage to get Preserver, Nature's Companion, the Ring of Immunity AND the Bracers of War? Those are excellent random generated artifacts.

I would racommend that you drop one of the ring of immunity or nature's companion. Get rid of Death's Sting - it has another use elsewhere, and the ring of the high king.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

"I could of sworn that 1 artifact increased food consumption by 25%"
You still can, just name your information source. :)
Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 02:59 (GMT -5)

@thedrin

well...
-the Preserver i bought at Waldenbrooks shop for 66070$ (tried to haggle it down.. but his 10 children.. ya know...)
-Natures Companion was for free in Darkforge, in the armor-room
-Ring of Immunity was found on lvl. 20 in the CoC, guarded by (donīt remember his name) a ancient karmic babydragon.
-Bracers of War was found on lvl. 4 or 5 (donīt know exactly anymore) in the UD guarded by some easy enemy (also forgotten his name)...

and can i carry em arround in my backpack, or will this rise my food-need too??

(i thought that they might be usefull for my next challange ToEF...)

and hey, b.t.w., what happens if i use ble.sv.lg.boots and think about to get the talent "reduce mv.mentcost to 950" - how will that work? what will happen? worth the talent?

W.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 10 hours, 34 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 03:13 (GMT -5)

You should try to get crowned. Crowning will significantly reduce your PC's food digestion rate penalty when wearing artifacts.

There is little reason to wear artifacts before crowning, aside from a few practical purposes such as preventing your god from granting cold immunity when you are crowned.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

Major spoiers:

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-app-G.html

""I could of sworn that 1 artifact increased food consumption by 25%""

Yes, this is true for crowned champions.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

"There is little reason to wear artifacts before crowning, aside from a few practical purposes"

There is also this little practical purpose, that sometimes you get too lucky with artefacts and cant get crowned ever...
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

"guarded by (donīt remember his name) a ancient karmic babydragon"

How can a baby be ancient? Some buddhist-rebirth-karma thing mabye? :)

"There is little reason to wear artifacts before crowning, aside from a few practical purposes"

I'd disagree, most artifacts are a tremendous help in the game, especially beginning

Wonderers stash of artifacts (what a tremendous haul, arguably 4 of the best artifacts in one game) should enable him to breeze through the rest of the game with ease.

The Ankh is good neckwear, it's got DV and PV and that always helps out a bit.
Most weapons are good, at least for starting out. Many are good throughout the game.
If I'd get BoW I'd never take it off (except if I was starving to death). Same with preserver (unless I was about to do something special and wanted to be as lucky as possible)
Probably same with Ring of Immunity. Its DV and PV too.

"sometimes you get too lucky with artefacts and cant get crowned ever..."

Karry, it should always be possible to be crowned. You're thinking about pre-crownings, which sometimes become impossible (or at least very very inconvenient).

Sometimes people have to wait a bit before they get crowned in order to complete a certain quest first, but this is their own choice.

Only time you can not be crowned is if you become a fallen champion first. But then you have already been crowned, so argument failed.

(Remember to remove ring before praying for crowning, wonderer)

By the way, this thread should be in Spoiler section. The fact that artifacts increase food consumption is not in the game manual (I think?), hence spoily.
(Last paragraph not intended as flame or anything, just a commercial for the wonderful spoilers forum)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/11/2005 at 06:20 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 07:45 (GMT -5)

well well, the only thing i know right now is that i will take off the artīs because off their food consumption effect they have on me. i will put em in my backpack or in a safe place and use them later.. (maybe when got crowned..) now i hope i will find other good weapons and armor that can bring me through hard passages.

the speedlost of about 18 is quit a lot :(
the dxlost... *hrrrr hrrr hrrr hi hi ha ha got insane*
the elemental mastery *bah who needs that!*
the reg. *not worth speaking*
the crit.hit. *unimportant*

and the ToEF is now a peace of cake for me.
would be all very simple if i could keep em equiped.

is it very difficult to get crowned befor the ToEF?

or why should i wait with the ToEF any longer? maybe i could rush it with these artīs and then after it take em off...
some 100 cooked liz. in my pack..
2 bl. rgs.o.ice are waiting to be used. and a bl.firepr.bl. is awailable too..
also frostbolt, iceball and stunray at +12...
(just found sb of deathray, is there any use for that in the ToEF????)
jeeeeehaaa you only live twice - go for it!
*BURN BABY!!!*

hey, but wait.. what is with my boots? iīve only got the sv.lg.boots.. wount they be turned to ashes in the first steps?
what happens when i enter without boots? need new feed?
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

If you got Rings of Ice, it's very unlikely any of your worn stuff will burn.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 08:03 (GMT -5)

With one RoI, only your worn ammo is burnable, the blanket will protect everything and will be protected from burning by the ring. Just wear the elemental gauntlets and nothing will burn. Except the delicate stuff you have on you, like ammo, herbs in the tool slot, and the scroll of amnesia you want to kill ACW with.... Oh c'mon, everybody wants to beat the wyrm with a roll of paper untill he gives up... no? Just me?
A realist sees a train.
Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

nearly forgot:

the question bout the ancient karmic baby drag is good!! maybe they where all adult ones?? (there was this named one + a seperate room full of them..) did i kick some 20 ancient karmic drags with my pretty unexp. wiz.??? hmm.. not bad. (o.k. o.k. the farslayer in combo with br.o.war and preserver did good work with the dragon slaying ammo.. maybe i should thank them for this "luck". it needed only bout 3 shots to take one out.)

or is it realy possible that i remember right and they where realy "baby" ones? too bad that the message buffer wount let me see that far in the past... hmpf.

Still wondering...
Wonderer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 08:13 (GMT -5)

but can anyone help me with my "what is with the boots" question?

@Maelstrom
dont have any scrll of amne. but i could deliver him a IBM guild man.. =)
or can i bless him to death?
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

How can you be crowned if you happed to generate 14 arts ? If there were 13 you can get crowned on lvl 50.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

Karry, crowning DOES NOT have an artefact limit. Pre-crownings and post-crownings do.

The boots are delicate, but you can take them off once you enter the tower, and they'll be protected by the blanket and ring.
I've never had my SLBs burned in the ToEF, if I had a blessed RoI, but there's always a possibility, so if you are paranoid...well every good ADOM player is... but if you are really scared about loosing them, just hide them in your backpack.
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/11/2005 at 09:04 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

Hmmmmmm...right. My mistake.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 10 hours, 34 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

"I'd disagree, most artifacts are a tremendous help in the game, especially beginning."

Artifacts are rare in the beginning of the game, so if your character can't live for 10 levels without an artifact, he probably isn't worth having anyway.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

Oh he can live, but they can Help.

My latest project, dwarf assassin got precrowned (at level 8) with wyrmlance.

And it helps.

He could live without, but it helps.

My advice to Wonderer is to equip artifacts for the ToEF run, how hard is it to come by flied rat anyway? Or even stomofillia.
In fact, equip them and then breeze thru the game. Youll get nice levels soon in the CoC after the wall of fire.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: