Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Seve

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Seve
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 01:05 (GMT -5)

Couple of questions fer ye ppl who know this game better than I do.

1. What happends after those 90 days? I can't complete some quests/endings? Start to get hugely corrupted untill primal moss of chaos? Im no longer 1337 warrior?

2. What can I do with crystal of darkness? And how to do it?

3. I read about this before on other thread. How much can I use my spells if I get rusty on them?!? And with what am I supposed to kill'em monsters after I can't use my spells. I never play with anyting other than wizards... and mostly with grey elven ones with ocasional gnome twist.

Been playin this game from last fall and so far only lvl 18 character. Either I suck or this game really is damn hard. Mostly I get kia by shootin myself with own magicm/lightning bots... as them darn things bounce from walls. I loath&despise everyone who cheat in any games whatsoever so I never even consider saving&reloading my characters.

tsmee
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

Managed to blow my topic nicely... hopefully someone notices&answers this one.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5622 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 02:20 (GMT -5)

1. After day 90 corruption rate doubles, IIRC. So you'll get corrupted faster, but if you have enough removal means that doesn't make the game impossible.

2. Crystals of darkness can be used to create dark areas (how logical). It is done by using them (:u and select from inventory). Darkness can come useful as

Spoiler
many monsters can't fight at all in dark. For instance doppelgangers are completely helpless in darkness.

3. Spells have a limited number of uses unless one uses book-casting. Think of it as some kind of fuel - a separate kind for each spell. Once you run out of fuel you can't use the spell anymore. You can refuel a spell by reading the corresponding spellbook. You should never rely purely on spells. Ever. Even a wizard can be an effective meleer with a decent weapon and some weapon skill. Also, use missiles (thrown rocks, arrows, quarrels, anything).

Also, saving and reloading is not cheating. I guess you mean using save scumming, which is indeed cheating. I for one just couldn't just sit 50 hours straight in front of the computer.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Seve
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

Thanks fer info :-)

I knew about that darkness but didn't quite know what did em crystals do.

Yes I ment that save scumming(can't understand use of this particular word in this context) and I use that save option in game when I must do other stuff and I bet no one is crazy enuf to play whole game thru on one sit... correct me if Im wrong

Well seems like I must start to train on weapons bit more and I've magaged to waste some 64 days of gametime and dunn have any potions of cure corruption so far... maybe long dive to some dungeons...
Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

Last fall? So have you been avoiding the Adom Guidebook or just didn't know about it?
http://www.andywlms.com/adom/
Most of the info is accurate, the section on herbs and religion is most useful.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 52 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:43 (GMT -5)

I don't know if it is a good idea to point new ADOM players to the Guidebook, since it contains spoilers. Someone should write a more up-to-date spoiler-free walkthrough.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:05 (GMT -5)

Players can make their choice on how much they want to be spoiled.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 52 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:18 (GMT -5)

Truth be told, this is not the case. It is hard to look at the Guidebook and not be mildly spoiled about events in the future, whether due to spoilers inadvertently mentioned in the first section on game mechanics, referred to a spoiling section, or just out of plain curiosity.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:43 (GMT -5)

The site warns that the guidebook contains extensive spoilers. They can choose whether to read it or not. They don't have to read it if they don't want to be spoiled. I see no problems posting just the link.
Spoiler-free walkthrough? Isn't that an oxymoron?
Seve
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:45 (GMT -5)

Well I use some parts of guide book. That end part where are descriptions of different stuff and their abilities and that sacrifice guide. Haven't payed attention to that walkthrough part so far.

Good to know there are ppl willing to tell some hints on how to do stuff as there really is much to be figured out by self.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 10 hours, 55 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

Stick to grey elven wizards.
Try to "scum" (=hang around in easy parts to obtain more equipment like spellbooks) untill you have enough of many different spells.
Keep using spells, they get better with use. (Also with level and some stats)

And most importantly:

DONT KILL YOURSELF WITH BOUNCING MAGIC MISSILE/LIGHTNING BOLTS :)

If you are so unsure about these two spells, try using spells that dont bounce, or ball spells.

You need to train some weapon skills too.
Both melee and missile skills.
When you progress in the game you might find slaying ammo, thats always good to take out beings that seem impervious to magic. But only if you have some skill in the missile weapon (5-6 skill is easy to get, and probably enough for midlevel play)
Spears and shields is a popular combo for caster classes.
Remember to use tactics actively. Berserking/Coward has no effect on your spellcasting prowess.

Let us know if you manage to get further.

P.S the game is very hard. Even some moderators on this forum have never completed it (I think? Or..?)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/18/2005 at 06:21 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Seve
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

Got now new greyelfwiz on lvl 19 and seems like it is rolling fine. Got Whirlwind from shop (stole it with invisibility ofcourse and shopkeeper didn't even know I was there as got stealth on 100).
Missed sadly that pyramid quest... I quess it is closed when u reach some certain level... (16 maybe?)

Now trying desperately to find potion of exhange(preferably blessed already when found) as I managed to get miself this damn trapping studded leather armor. Should never be overconfident when I get remove curse spells. Alternatively some nice door trap would do. I think I can find such on ID.
Rama
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 13:28 (GMT -5)

There is a scroll that can fix that, though telling you might be spoily.

Another important thing to do is to remember your wands, especialy those of paralysis and other status effects. (A blind Snake from Beyond is a DEAD snake)

Another tactic I like to use on bad monsters with a mindcrafter is to go berzerk with missiles and either confuse ray or TLKNBlast(as a coward)

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Well finally got rid of that damn trapped armor. Died some 10 turns later by berserk lord... didn't get new shiney armor on b4 going to scorch him -> 1 miss + 2 hits = kia

Oh and if ye mean scroll of item destruction it doesn't work on trapped armor atleast not b/u ones. Dunno if it would do it when that scroll is cursed...
Sargoth (unplugged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 07:42 (GMT -5)

DON'T READ CURSED SCROLLS! Ever.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: