Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / PP refill

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

What is the fastest way without corruption ?
Like, potion of ultra healing gives ~300 HP, whereas blessed scroll of power - only ~50 PP.
CX2
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

If you are in a DESPRATE situation pray to a god.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 at 00:41 (GMT -5)

Well, i was asking about using items...
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 23 hours, 39 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure how much a blessed crystal of power restores, i never really used gems aside from CoK, nor do i play many chars with gemology. But supposed its another way to restore PP.

At any rate, as far as items go Blessed Scrolls of Power are as good as it gets. The good thing is that they are extremely common so you can pile them up and bless a whole stack, i dont see anything wrong with the PP it recovers.

If you think about it ratio wise, you can probably find 6-8 scrolls of power to every PoUH you find laying around.
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

Well, its just not good enough. My recent priest died, coz he had 800+ PP and no way to refill it quickly. How many turns do i have to lose to read all those scrolls ? It regenerates fast enough, but on D:50 even that fast is not too good, corruption and all that.
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

6829 days, 14 hours, 4 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 03:40 (GMT -5)

Corruption shouldnt be THAT much of a problem... i think theres something like 18-19 garanteed SoCR
in the game plus PoCC for taking the corpses of the temple guardians to the druid.

Drink blessed potions of raw mana that will increase regeneration. certain armor prefix of suffix will help too.. armor of power or empowered armor i think, concentration skill to 100, get a few items of regeneration, i havent played priest but i assume you can use HP to fuel magic like wizards? usualy with regen i can keep blasting spells and heal with potions of extra healing and keep using spells if it runs low it abuses you mana like hell... but its end game and i dont think you would lose more then 3 mana points for the whole battle
*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 03:42 (GMT -5)

oh and if you have the corruption that you aborb mana at in incredible rate you can grab wands and when you absorb the charges you get PP i cant give you a ratio but stock up on a bunch of useless wands and take them all with you and just drop/pick them up to steal the mana
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 04:39 (GMT -5)

" i think theres something like 18-19 garanteed SoCR"
I'd say 4.

"Drink blessed potions of raw mana (skipped)"
Yeah-yeah, all that and more, been there-done that. Its still not good enough.

So, basically there is no way to get more than a 100 PP in a turn not using the Orb. Okay, got it.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 06:24 (GMT -5)

Guaranteed SoCR:

1. Saving Khelevastar = 6 (blessed)
2. Taking Wierd Tome to Mad Minstrel = 5 (cursed)
3. Bugville = 3 (cursed)
4. HMV = 1 (cursed)

The Dwarven mystic is also a semi-guaranteed source of 4 SoCR.

Karry - as CX2 pointed out, if you want a non-corrupting way to replenish all PP why don't you just pray?!?! With close to 1000 PPs, you really won't need to replenish more than once or twice at D50 (or anywhere else).
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

Oh, and if you insist on using the Orb of Mana then at least use the elemental gauntlets (assuming you aren't already).
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

Khelavaster is non-guaranteed.

Hmm...technically HMV is also not guaranteed, since it IS possible that you dont find any means of teleportation. :))

Yes, pray, but i repeat, i was asking about items.
And i repeat yet again, W\O Orb...
maasto^notlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

I'd say khelly IS guaranteed... sooner or later the random numbers will give you that AOLS or wish.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3126 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

"Hmm...technically HMV is also not guaranteed, since it IS possible that you dont find any means of teleportation. :))"

It is NOT possible. Teleportis corruption? It is guaranteed, and it will catch you pants down every time you don't have tele-control ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/4/2005 at 10:22 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Karry
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

"I'd say khelly IS guaranteed... sooner or later the random numbers will give you that AOLS or wish."
What a twisted logic. :) Using it, means there are billions and billions of guaranteed SoCRs. :))
But in reality its impossible, unless you play a single game for years.

I, personally, have many cases when i won, but havent found a single wish during a game.

"Teleportis corruption?"
Thats exactly right, no guaranteed control except for mindcrafter.

And so, the only _TRULY_ guaranteed SoCRs for every character in every single moment of time - are bugs 3, anyone can go there and kill bugs with whatever he wish.

ANYWAY, this topic is digressed beyond PoNR.
Discuss whatever you wish here. The end. :)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

Teleportation is guaranteed.
Teleport control is not (strictly) guaranteed.

And since were speaking about guarantees: It's not guarantted that you will ever pop into the secret room with control by random teleporting. (I've never, but then again haven't spent much time trying to either...but anyway, its not guaranteed.)

About Shaving Khelevaster - He can only be called guaranteed if you're playing a wizard.

It may be however probable, but not guaranteed.
(I once tried a bit (6500 killed, including pickpocketing 50% or so) of Dh:2 Gremlin scumming and got every type of ring many times over. Any type except Djinni Summoning kind of course.)

Whoops got a bit off-topic here.
Original poster had a priest die at D:50. Orb of mana wouldn't be available then.,,
Charged talent would help a (little) bit, also drink any blessed potion of raw mana you find.
Personally I've never used too much mana at D:50. Jelly slaying ammo, and using rune-covered trident against the appropriate monsters should leave me enough PP for the rest...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/4/2005 at 12:39 (GMT -5) by Molach]
Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 12:59 (GMT -5)

I thought charged talent gives so little its worthless.
Read scrolls of peace on D50 if you want to spend time recharging.
I won with a priest with less than 700 pp, but it was melee oriented, finding vanquisher helps a lot.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6823 days, 23 hours, 39 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Ah you're another one of the executable patchers?

Vanquisher is coded among with many other atrifacts to be impossible to find (unless crowned with) without patching the executable in 1.1.1 :( I suspect this is just a bug in the code, i dont think thomas intentionally made "random artifacts" not truly random.

Staying on topic:

(very minor spoilers to follow)

Wierd Tome is 5 guarunteed SoCR.

HMV is 1. Yes, it is guarunteed. The teleportitis corruption is guarunteed, and there is a guarunteed wand of teleportation in the game.
Bug Temple is 3.
There are 5 guarunteed PoCC from GuthAlak, 6 if you take keethrax.

I dont count Khelly or the Mystic, though i am usually successful at saving khelly (just more or less hassle to scum for the item)

ABout the original character in questioN:

If you have 800+ pp, you should be able to pray once and have all the pp you need for D:50. Else a player would probably be casting inefficiently (using acid ball to take out one monster, for example)

Magic missles and bolts to slay large rooms of creatures comes to mind, at ~4pp a pop for a missile you can cast 200 missiles not even counting regeneration.

The time it takes to read scrolls of power has a negligible effect on corruption. If reading those scrolls pushed you over the brink, you probably wouldnt last long anyway.

But as for items, no, i guess you cant restore over 100pp a turn without the orb of mana. But coupled with the alternatives available (praying, for example), i think this is the most balanced way. HP and Mana arent parallels. Because you can restore 300+ hp in a turn with a potion doesnt mean restoring 300+ mana would be balanced. (Horribly imbalanced if you ask me)

*cobaltofdoom*
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

well technically the absorb mana coruption would be unlimited mana in one turn depending on how many wands you drop/pick up in one go if you have 200 wands youll probably charge right back up to full in the one turn. if you hav ethat coruption and all those wands. absorb all wands in one turn and bam your charged.

welllll it does make sense that they arent even.
if there was a battle 1 powerful wizard against one big army and he's casting the ball spells causing havoc and generaly wiping the floor with everyone.. hes going to get tired eventualy... shouldnt be able to just drink another potion to take on another army.
besides whatever pp points you get would have to be invested in potion/item 300 pp is a hell of alot of spells worth of magic in one shot.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

I still say HMV is NOT guaranteed, because teleport control is not guaranteed. Unless you play a mindcrafter. And there are no guaranteed source of control in the game.

Not guaranteed.

Just very very very likely.

And if you never get control, its not guaranteed that you will pop into the room ever.

Just very very very likely.
Minor spoiler down here:
|
V

So the real list is:
Scrolls
Guarantees:
5 - WT
3 - BT (given the 100 hiscorelist thing)

As good as guarantees:
1 - HMV (Who never saw any dog an entire game anyway?)

Can almost always be had given enough time spent:
6 - K

50% Chance:
4 - DM

Potions:
Druid - 7 (5 orb guards, black druid and Chaos-dragon)
Emperor minotaur - 1

You could always choose to go for black druid and chaos dragon, even though many would skip them for healing or because they don't need the chaos-thing from dragon.
And you could always chose to be neutral when talking to mystic, giving that a 50% chance.
(The ability to go to neutral is a guarantee, you get a neutral altar in dwarftown even if your chaotic, and there are certainly guaranteed way of going from lawful to neutral...)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3907 days, 8 hours, 44 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 at 07:10 (GMT -5)

Do you get a PoCC from the Greater black unicorn corpse?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 at 07:29 (GMT -5)

Yes. But its not guaranteed to drop a corpse.
In fact I've rerely seen its corpse, so unless I'm having bad luck in this respect it has a quite low chance to land a corpse.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6819 days, 10 hours, 28 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

arrgh, i wanted to write the same but molach must have popped up;). i had this corpse recently, but this was the only such case...
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?