Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Considered cheating?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3577 days, 9 hours, 39 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 10:28 (GMT -5)

Is setting the computer clock system thingy to 2nd of July so that you get lucky and fate smiles intrinsics when you start a new character considered cheating? I do it all the time!

Your opinion?
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1885 days, 5 hours, 14 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 10:35 (GMT -5)

I think so. But I think that creating 100 characters on july 2nd so you can use them for the next while is cheating too!

I never have more than one character going at a time though. (I take extensive notes in Notepad for each game. If I have more than one character my thoughts get blended and I make stupid mistakes)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 15 hours, 35 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

By my definition:
Setting clock to 2nd July - definately cheating. You alert a program to give a positive influence on your game.

Starting 100 games on 2nd July - not cheating. Juridically speaking, how could it be? You are not abusing a software glitch or anything. And I mean, starting 2 games must be okay, right? Then 5 is okay, and 10...its impossible to set a limit innit...

I always forget about this date though, lucky and fate smiles are guaranteed when you find your first altar anyway...I'd rather start at desember 31...
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1885 days, 5 hours, 14 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

Without starting a deep psychological debate (smiles at Molach):

The alteration of a program to give a positive influence on the game is wrong.

So wouldn't the alteration of one's psychological tendencies based upon one static-ingame-variable with the resulting effect being a positive influence be wrong.

So unless you generate 100 characters every day, you would be modifying your mind-state for the purpose of exploiting an ingame variable.

Therefore, why not change the computer clock? you have already changed the psychological way you approach the game based on an out-of-game vairable.

When everyhing is said and done I do believe that changing the clock is wrong, and that generating 100 characters is ok...just wanted to be a s**t disturber.

I like this forum!!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 15 hours, 35 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

"Without starting a deep psychological debate (smiles at Molach): "

-too late.(Smile).

I said "By my definition" of cheating.
And being me, this is of course a normative real-definition. Cheating is by me defined as using glitches in the program(bug in ADOM (not feature)), or using other software means to alter the gameplay (hacks or computer clock) to gain otherwise innattainable effects.

I simply avoid the issue of a deep psychological debate by simply comparing the cases to my definition, thus avoiding the notions of "right" or wrong". For instance, many people do not like to be spoiled and they would consider it wrong to read in this forum, or the guidebook.

Many others like to learn all the little tidbits about the game, and might consider it wrong NOT to use the collective gathered knowledge to enhance their own gaming strategy and tactic.

In my idea of right or wrong I like to be spoiled, and will use "features" in the game to my advantage (sickness while eating herbs, ring of weakness), not use a bug (like piety overflow) and avoid any tinkering with any programming. And if the date is not july 2nd or dec. 31, there is no reason your computer clock should show this date.

If I had altered the clock and got a potential HoF winning entry, I would not post it.
If I used one of my 100 (or 10, or 5) games started july 2nd. for a win, I would feel it had a place there.

Besides: I always felt it is "right" to wait for a friday, or one of the other good dates. I could make a tradition of starting 31.dec (just start it) and then play it through while hungover jan.1. Altering clock would take away this little extra bonus.

Like the guy on this forum who wondered why all his chars were cursed, untill it was found out he had been playing friday 13.th.

Speaking of which, july 2nd is coming up. Could be a fun idea for everyone who wanted in to start a char that day, use random race and class, and see how they turned out.
Two posts for everyone: First the creation post, then a short history of how they fared. Score should mabye not count, but rather how interesting game they had, and how well they did with their chosen one.

By the way my definition is just normative, not descriptive so other might disagree with it. But one cannot disagree with how I applied to the matter at hand...

Yeah it's a fun forum.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6814 days, 22 hours, 51 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 at 18:36 (GMT -5)

At any rate, i dont truly feel that this function matters much.

I believe the bonus for starting on July 2nd is +Luck and +Fate, two intrinsics that can be obtained by the first altar, and prehaps arena level for a bit of food while waiting for a few livesacs.

I dont really pay attention to these, but i think another one is starting off with some booze.

Is it considered cheating? I guess. Does anyone really do it? I dont think so. If youre going to use some game function to get you ahead, you might as well save scum.

Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6810 days, 9 hours, 40 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 at 11:00 (GMT -5)

...and a tremendous lot of games you would start this way wouldn't give you any satisfaction. just like all your characters would be lucky enough to have their first treasure found be a WoWi, but with less influence on gameplay (negative influence, of course).
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
N(MBLNG)
Registered user
Formerly known as NMBLNG

Last page view:

6882 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

I will occationaly save-scum a character at the beginning of the game, like an elementalist that started out with 4 talents and nice equipement or something.
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6814 days, 22 hours, 51 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

I actually prefer it when my characters have a tough time, and thus enjoy a character that starts out with crappier equipment than usual and runs into nothing but bad luck early on.

I had a paladin that just had the best luck throughout the entire game. Found 3 WoWi even before the air temple, and stacks of amazing equipment including 7lb. Nature's companion... surge with BoW... ULE came easily.. YAWN. Isn't that boring?

With characters that are tough, i find myself utilizing items that i wouldnt even touch with a easy character. Wands of webbing, wands of wonder... all useful. Recovering from bad RNG, throwing potions around and trying to make do with what you get, thats the fun of ADOM.

On the flip side its also caused some reasons why ive taken breaks from ADOM -_-
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 16 hours, 37 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

I don't think starting lots of characters on Creators Birthday is cheating. Abuse, sure, but not cheating. Even with starting lucky and fate smiles the game is not too easy and these stats are virtually guaranteed anyway once one finds (or converts) a coaligned altar. I consider cheating to be:

1. Using save file backup for anything other than as a safeguard against crashes or power cuts. Though I tend to keep a backup of winner saves for post-experimentation purposes I won't be using them for illegitimate multi-victories.

2. Using ADOM-sage or anything similar to modify save files or run-time game data to gain stats, intrinsics or items or ease the game illegitimately in any other way.

Anything else is either valid playing or at worst abuse of oversights in game code, for instance using the cursed/blessed ?oRepair trick.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: