Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / New HOF version in progres

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

I'm working on "translating" the HoF from the old "quasi" HTML 4 frameset "hack" layout to a more up to date XHTML 1.1 version (cleaning up a LOT of old ugly code in the process). Why? Well I keep preaching about standard complianse, so I figured I'd do as I say, pluss in lack of anyting better I have listed the HOF site as "work experience" on my resume, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to show that I'm capable of doing modern clean XHTML.

I couldn't resists "improving" a few things, but the general layout is unchanged. The frames have been ditched in favour of "floating" div's (menu and header). I removed the whole "last updated" footer and did a few minor tweaks here and there...

Biggest problem with the new version is that people still using IE 6 or lower won't get the floating elements to work (IE's CSS support is buggy as hell). I won't bother making one standards compliant version and one IE version, so either get a better browser (IE 7 is right around the corner too) or live with it. The only difference is that the menu and header will scroll with the page instead of staying in a fixed position + some minor cosmetic things. Everyting still works in IE though.

Ok, on to why I'm posting this in the first place: I would like you guys to take a look at it. As I said I've done a few tweaks so I'd like to get some feedback on how it looks. Ok? or should I revert to the old look completely, or maybe do something completely different... I'd also apreciate if someone could test it in different browsers. So far I've tested it in IE 6, Opera 8, Netscape 6 and FireFox 1. I don't have Konqueror and Safari handy for example though, so any feedback from users of those browsers would be apreciated :)

Oh and you can look at the prototype here:
http://adom.brinkster.net/hof/new/

Currently ONLY the news page is "done", so don't bother clicking on any links. For now I'm only interested in wether or not you think it looks ok (header and menu will look the same on all pages obviously).

Oh, and I'm also planning to "fix" the sidebar news link to work with Opera and IE too (currently only Netscape 6+ and FireFox support it. Maybe Mozilla too, never tested. So the link is not shown to other Browsers). I don't think anyone users it, but I'm using this site as a technology showcase so I'll make it anyway, might even add a RRS feed at some point :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 16 hours, 31 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

Wow, I like it, it doesn't look as stale as the old one.
(I'm Using Opera 8.0)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 10:43 (GMT -5)

Glad you like it.

Uploaded a new version. Now the "statistics" link is working (you can also see a breakdown of races used there now), so you can browse between the news and statistics pages.

I gave up trying to get the contend portion of the page to fill all left-over space, it made things very messy, and didn't look very good on high resolutions. As a bonus I could finaly remove the last table from the layout code :)

The "add sidebar" stuff is also in for all the browsers that I know support it in some way (in IE you can only open it in the "search" window, you have to go though the regestry to actualy add stuff permanently there.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 16 hours, 31 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 at 11:34 (GMT -5)

It looks good, I like the new one better than the old centered one, it looks cleaner with everything in one side
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: