Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Methods of healing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3578 days, 21 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

I find it impossible to play without a healing spell of some sort. Don't you?

What kind of other healing methods are there?
N(MBLNG)
Registered user
Formerly known as NMBLNG

Last page view:

6883 days, 1 hour, 21 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 18:56 (GMT -5)

I can get along fine without a healing spell. Most of my characters take down their enemies from a distance, and don't have to worry about close encounters of the sharp kind.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

Never used any healing spell.
My chars are content with blessed potions of ultra/extra healing in critical situations and speensweed in not-so-life-threatning situations.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5988 days, 15 hours and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

It's easy. Ways of healing without healing magic:
1. Candle birthsign
2. 100 Healing skill
3. *Blessed* potions of healing (normal, ultra, extra)
4. Blessed spensweeds and pepper petals. - really good healing source. ~30 HP, while being readily available in Big Room.
5. Praying
6. Increasing your own recovery speed by eating troll corpses, drinking potions of troll blood.
7. Any blessed nonartifact item granting regeneration - amulet, ring, etc (though I'm not sure if there's anything else)
8. Artifacts granting regeneration.
9. Mindcrafter's regeneration aura - it's not a spell. %)

Next - not getting very-very hurt:
1. High DV - high Dx, dodge (being assasin to double DV bonus from dodge skill), alertness, high shield skill, staff-fighting, certain armors (like shirt of the saints), being a monk and having a large natural bonus to DV..... etc.
2. High PV - mails, and all other stuff with large numbers in second position, for example [-30, +50]
3. Resistances and imunities - dragon scale mails, gauntlets (+guaranteed elemental gauntlets), drinking from pools, eating corpses, crowning, etc.
4. Missile wepons - preemptive strike seldomly recieves n oretaliation.
5. Non-healing offensive spells - wack'em till they're close enough to wack you - bolts - long-ranged and *ball* spells - no shrugging off. - Farsight is very nice for those who don't like being surrounded in corridors.
6. Non-healing defensive spells - Err... Can't quite recall any... Bless? It does something, doesn't it?

In any case - when you fight a monster - you have two altrnatives - either it's gonna kill you vert-very soon, or you gonna kill it instead. If the monster gonna take you, you'd better set to 'coward', and try to flee, but not lose another turn waiting to recieve additional tones of damage, and trying to "cure light wounds".
If you wacked da monster, and even got hurt in the process - you usually have to walk till new one appears in line of sight, and while you walk, you regenerate. The speed of regeneration totally depends on you - eat trolls for breakfast. If you're good at recovering your HP without activating healing spells, you just don't need them.
After all, we have no healing spell (e.g. wasted round), that would fully heal PC. Best one is "heal" with a 10d6+? effect. Quaff a PoEH or pray instead if you have over 100 HP, and around 1 HP left.

Bottom line:
Game is *full* of non-spell ways of healing, and ways of not being hurt a lot, and there are plenty of characters that finished the game without ever bothering to hold in their taloned paws that 'cure light wounds' spellbook.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

I think the best modes are:
-100 healing
-mindc. regeneration
-spenseweed
-be a Trollish Healer with Candle birthsign and healthy talent, past lvl12, the 3x regen thing makes them regenerate V.E.R.Y quick.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

Is that tr/h strategy awesome?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5988 days, 15 hours and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

Oh, come on!
Trolls are generally to be avoided if player wants to advance to lvl 50.
Besides that, there is a certain limit whan acual increase in regeneration speed becomes indifferent, and new problem arises - how not to loose *all* hp to one or two attacks of something *very* nasty. That's were trolls suck due to ridiculously low level ups and fear of Ghosts.
I read somewhere here that Candle+healer+troll is a poor combination, for one of the elements has nothing to add to regen. powers. IMO, this element is most likely a troll itself :)
Take a Dark Elf for double trained Alertness and Find Weakness, and wack 'em all from the very beginning. Or take Drakeling and wack 'em from the beginning 'till the end. %) - no problems at ToEF and lvl 12+ healer for them.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6815 days, 13 hours, 33 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

Troll Healer is a poor combination.

The reason being the way the game mechanic works when dealing with regeneration, all races have potentially the same max regen. After a single blessed potion of troll blood, a drakeling healer born in the candle starsign regenerates at an equal rate as a troll one.

Troll healers will only benefit from about 3-4 blessed potions of troll blood. After that, their natural regeneration will not increase due to it maxing out.

In terms of experience advancement and general skillset, a drakeling makes a better healer (a class which is dependent on recovery).

Trolls would make better hackandslash characters due to more str/toughness.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

I believe it's even worse than that - trolls cannot increase their regeneration rate by drinking their own blood.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

And have you people actually TRIED THAT OUT, or just want to be clever? And trolls CAN increase it. Yet another man who didn't read the GB.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

Trolls cannot increase their healing rate by drinking potions, which leaves them at -6 (as low as corpses go), while all other races can go down to -5, using potions. Drakelings also don't suffer from the trolls increased starvation rate and have a good PP regeneration rate.

And yes I did try that out, troll healers just can't compare to drakelings.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/20/2005 at 16:41 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6815 days, 13 hours, 33 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 17:24 (GMT -5)

Taken from the guidebook:

"This means that trolls, who cannot make use of potions of troll blood, cannot lower their regeneration time to 5, unlike the other races."

I think i vaguely was aware of this but forgot as such in my previous post, thanks for the correction guys. This means that Troll Healers are even worse than i originally thought, as Troll Blood is not that uncommon. Drakelings who find a few of them will quickly eclipse trolls in the category of healing rate. Even orcs and dwarves will catch up rapidly due to the tediousness of increasing natural regeneration rate with corpses.

As Maelstrom mentioned, Trolls also have a horrific PP regen to boot. I believe their natural regen is 1 PP/100 turns vs. drakelings having 1 PP/50 turns. Healers, who at the very least train in Concentration, can make decent casters when not crippled by a Trolls rock bottom mana and learning.

I'm not sure if people would agree with this, but i think healer is a good class to be played with a race that has an incredibly poor natural regeneration rate. I would rather use their healing abilities to somewhat offset the disadvantage rather than stacking the bonus on top of a race that doesn't need it as much, such as dwarves or orcs.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 at 03:36 (GMT -5)

But in my version of the game, trolls can make use of their blood to go down there.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

Battle bunny, are you playing version 1.0.0? IIRC, in that version trolls could benefit from potions of troll blood, but then TB decided that they shouldn't be able to, and it was changed for 1.1.x.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Yea, I am playing 1.0.0.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the