Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Kobolds

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5994 days, 22 hours, 1 minute and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

When I red the description of Kobold Shaman from the monster memory, it struck me with a question - why T.B. wants to implement ratlings, more dwarves and elves, but doesn't want to implement kobolds as a player race?

They would make an excellent challenge race thanks to their stupidity, small size and bad temper. Just give them C alignment, slightly above average Dx, Pe, leave all other stuff at average, and sometimes handicapped, give 3/4 marks for bow, something like backstabbing, swimming, dodge, stealth as skills and voila! - A little yappy kobold merchant killing ChAoS GoD with a gold piece! Sounds nice to me :)

I'm just still under impressin from Kobold Shaman description.

Maybe I shold poke TB with this?
Maybe you know if this suggestion was made on official site? Maybe you could even give me a link to a following discussion?

Ubi patria ibi bene!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/23/2005 at 17:29 (GMT -5) by Nchurmdaz]
LordFrederick
Registered user

Last page view:

6821 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 18:55 (GMT -5)

Kobolds are used as a player race in many games. There are tons of choices, but TB can only go and implement what he feels like.

As far as i can see, races (unlike ADOM classes) remain fairly balanced. Theres no huge discrepancy on playing ease like the wizard vs. merchant in class choice.

Kobolds, as an extremely weak race, would only logically fit to be inferior. Their 'above' stats would be dx and pe, while having 'below' in every other stat.

More dwarves and elves would fit races that could be equals to the others. I'm not so sure about ratling...
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 19:52 (GMT -5)

Maybe if they had som 3-4 intrinsic DV points they would be on equal footing with the rest of the races?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1892 days, 2 hours, 56 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

It is true that kobolds tend to be inferior. I have played many roguelikes that have them as PCs, and some paper RPGs too. Kobolds have always been a favourite character of mine. I especially like the kobolds in Dungeon Crawl...they are carniverous, good with thrown weapons and small blades.*gleefully thinks about a Kobold Chaos knight"

Anyways I think it is that challenge that really draws me to the kobold race.

I think that perhaps giving kobolds lower mark requirements for daggers, a couple extra DV, and perhaps the ability to eat anything and/or gain more nutrition (eg. 2-3x as much) from eating raw corpses or something like that.

just my thoughts though. I would like to see kobolds introduced as PCs in alot of different games.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

Anyways, that inferior kobold under wise command will end with all stats around 40-50, greatly increased number of skills...
But the early stages are to be quite challenging.
Additionally, we're talking about True Kobold Hero. If a mere widespread Shaman in the eyes of T.B. looks so impressive, why not suppose that a kobold PC would be far more appropriate for world-saving mission? We already have Trolls able for sentinent actions, and Orcs able to ascend to Avatars of Order. Why not little nasty Kobold, who is not very different in size from Hurthling and Gnome, but is a little bit dumber than the first one, and far less magical than the second?

About equalty of races - I already see little difference between High and Gray elves... What would that be when we get third one? Are mist elves more like High, Gray or Dark elves? Heh. They're elves anyway. Hill dwarves will presumeably have neutral alignment, but that's all I can presume about them. Do you have any ideas of what new races are going to be like?

Dayosh koboldov v massy! :)
Ubi patria ibi bene!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/24/2005 at 17:04 (GMT -5) by Nchurmdaz]
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3584 days, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 07:15 (GMT -5)

Fire vortices should be a playable race too!
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

Echo, that's not very smart of you.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3584 days, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

:P
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

I say we ignore the Echo of our voices for now and continue with the kobolting.

A race that would be a difficult starter but a breeze later on? I would't want to play a kobolt wizard...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
N(MNLNG)
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2005 at 22:13 (GMT -5)

Kolbolds could be fun. But as long as it's not a really difficult race to play. All the 'challenge' races I've seen haven't been too popular.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 04:27 (GMT -5)

Troll is a challenge race to a certain extent.
BTW, by saying about all attributse raised to 40-50 I just meant the inevitable equalization of different at start chars due to extensive efforts of players.
That is, exploiting herbs while sick, quaffing enormous amounts of blessed potions of attribute, etc. Every char can me made into a walking tank with a right approach.
Kobolds are not an exception from this rule.
However, at start thay might remain something like "finesse" whent it comes to non-magical classes.
Like wielding daggers with more effectivity, and using bows for ranged, as it was mentioned before.
However, if I'm corect, rattlings are going to be something like that. They in fact share size and some certain aspects. What they don't share are their 'ancestors' - dogs on one hand, and rats on the other. I would add a question to this - How often do you remember your PC's race during play? Doesn't it turn into a part of you, without you paying much attention to it's orgigns, concentrating instead on it's current condition?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6817 days, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 26, 2005 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

yeah, i think it's as it should be. adom's a hack'n'slash tactics game, so your character consists of a set of tables, and as the game gives you almost no detail about it's personality and background (except several lines that show on startup and in the background info).
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
amh
Registered user

Last page view:

6772 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

I think kobolds are neutral, not chaotic.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

Creator thinks otherwise.
Ubi patria ibi bene!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: