Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / ARGL... Powerfailure... Help!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Charon
Registered user

Last page view:

6881 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 at 14:24 (GMT -5)

I just was playing ADOM again and was (for my standards) pretty far when disaster struck.

A brief power outage...

Of course my PC went off too.

Is there any way to recover my character? It still is there, in the temp directory, but all tries to launch ADOM get the reply that there might be already another game in progress and then it aborts.
Charon
Registered user

Last page view:

6881 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

To avoid confusion:

I did NOT make a backup of the savefile.
What I meant is that the the level info etc. should still be in the temp directory and thus I _hope_ that it should be possible to recover him.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4964 days, 23 hours, 52 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

Sorry, my man, your character is gone. As for starting a new character, you have to delete the adom.prc file to make the game stop saying that another one already is in progress.

Sucks, but, as in real life, things go away before you know how to treasure them...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5997 days, 4 hours, 6 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 02, 2005 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

Make backups.
Every day you finish playing till tomorrow, save your char somewhere. This is certainly allowable cuz power failure is not ACW or something, and TB has nothing to do with that.
BTW, it would be a good idea to make future versions + JADE power-failure-proof via implementing something like "autosave" - automatic saves on disc every [digit] minutes, which could be restored if game lost due to crash or something.
Certainly, all other things remain where they are - once char dies "naturally", all is gone.
Ubi patria ibi bene!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: