Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / T

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6802 days, 20 hours, 24 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 at 17:04 (GMT -5)

have a look at a certain character in hof. the most recent one, called 't'. have you noticed these whips and wowi?;) cool. jan erik, please. could you remove this crap?:D
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5819 days, 16 hours, 42 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

Ya, cheaters should not be in hof.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6825 days, 16 hours, 16 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

Did all of those people win without save scumming? Not many are Necromancers, and I doubt some of them found all of those AoLS.

Shouldn't it be that those who won without dying get higher precedence over those who didn't in the HOF, no matter what the score is?
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3109 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

What are you talking about? The "saved himself xx times"? That's the savegame count, the use of AoLS is in the file under "cheated death xx times".
Most chars in the HOF don't even have that listed, or have "cheated death once/twice", except for Gozer, who is a typical archmage with unlimited power - it's not a problem for one to get 176 AOLS.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/3/2005 at 19:39 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5980 days, 11 hours, 2 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 at 20:04 (GMT -5)

But getting 176 and *using* them up is extremely boring. I wonder what a beastie with over a thousand HP's would do to die that much times.
Sure, sure - wishing for EM, yet still - one needs one turn to replace an AoLS after dying. And that's another turn for Greater Moloch to wack PC.

I still don't undestand the necesity of getting 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
XPs. Archmage is still an archmage without ones.

So what?
I hope I'll create another Archmage in a while.
A bit special one, though.
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

6353 days, 22 hours, 7 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 00:39 (GMT -5)

To extend this topic a little further, I disagree with characters with bugged scores being mixed in with other characters.

Quite simply, did these players EARN those positions on the highscore? Some of us take this kind of concept seriously.
Ashandarei_
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 03:53 (GMT -5)

I agree with Palagran.

To my shame I have one score-bugged character on the HoF, and I don't actually deserve the place.. I wasn't sure if it was bugged when I sent it, but now I know that it is, due to 'Traders guild owing you money'. So they should be removed from the HoF, or at least moved to special section.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

Oh my. Jan, have you read this?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 20 hours, 26 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 12:09 (GMT -5)

Have now. Would have sooner except my net was down since Saturday...

Anyway about "T", hmm, yeah, a Wand of Wishing with 177 charges remaining is pretty incriminating. Sorry for letting that one slip though the cracks (granted they are pretty big cracks, I mostly just make sure the FLG isn't completely gibberish before "validating" it). I'll remove the char, he must have used a trainer to get that wand at the very least.

About the bugged chars: Well I've "tagged" the ones that I'm aware of (though a few might have slipped by there too, please let me know if you find any untagged ones). It's not rely the players fault the game has a bug, so I don't know about removing them completely though, and there are to few of them (AFAIK) to rely warrant a seperate section. How about this instead: I set theyr scores to -1 (so they appear last on the ranking list), and modify the code to print "bugged score" in red letters in the score field for those characters (insteasd of -1)). That way they would still be listed, but not displace "normal" characters in the ranking list.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

I would agree with that completely. Very good, sir.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

Ok, done. Buged characters are not located at the bottom of the respective ranking lists as described above. "T" is also gone.

I also found a couple of bugged characters that had so far gone unnoticed. I just searched though the database for "merchant guild" as getting the merchant guild to owe you money seems to be the trigger for the crazy score changes.

[Edit: Damned typos :P]
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/4/2005 at 13:58 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 16:37 (GMT -5)

---What are you talking about? The "saved himself xx times"? That's the savegame count, the use of AoLS is in the file under "cheated death xx times".
Most chars in the HOF don't even have that listed, or have "cheated death once/twice", except for Gozer, who is a typical archmage with unlimited power - it's not a problem for one to get 176 AOLS.---

Shouldn't the people who saved themselves or cheated death come after those who won without dying and coming back or savescumming? When I play, I never use AoLS on myself. If I die, then I die.
Portrait
Palagran
Registered user
Furry Hybrid

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

Oh, that's great. *Tailswish* That has always bothered me.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3109 days, 15 hours, 53 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

einherjar - the game counts ALL saves you make. Like the saves you make when you get a phonecall, save the game, finish the chat and come back. The number only means, that the player closed the game to eat/sleep/have a life. IIRC you get a score bonus for not saving (the only one who did that in the HOF was Alex with his Blitz THE second highest score EDIT: blah also didn't stop to save, but the char was heavily corrupted, so his score is low).

And I don't get your problem with cheating death - The HOF is about getting the highest legal score, not about some made-up challanges. Let's not complicate this any more it has to be, or we'll have to get diffrent Halls for every Carbon Fiber Man and Food-Fighting Trolls out there...
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/4/2005 at 17:56 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

Yeah, cheating death is a perfectly legitemate game feature. Unlike savegame "resurection" you have to actualy "earn" in-game.

As for people who cheated death coming after the rest, that is pretty much covered by the scoring algorithm already I think. For every time you cheat death a few thousand is knocked off your final score (much the same way as having corruptions or loosing companions give you negative points), though granted in the grand scheme of things it's just a drop in the ocean.

Savescuming on the other hand is cheating, and those schould not be listed at all... Hard to catch though, there are lots of legitemate reasons for having saved the game tonnes of times (such as a real live etc.), I pretty much have to rely on people respecting the rules unless it's blatandly obvious.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/4/2005 at 18:23 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4931 days, 2 hours, 4 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 03:22 (GMT -5)

Lol, IMO "He cheated death xx times" message is so cool that I've actually committed suicide when wearing blessed AoLS after finishing game, if I've had a spare AoLS in my backpack just to get that 'glory detail' ;) But if it reduces scores, I'll stop it. Are you sure it does?

Also, i agree totally with this: "Yeah, cheating death is a perfectly legitemate game feature." If you've been careful, you earn to live.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6802 days, 20 hours, 24 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

d666 drops the uncursed amulet of cheat resistance.
ADOM_HOF picks up the uncursed amulet of cheat resistance.
ADOM_HOF equips the uncursed amulet of cheat resistance.
ADOM_HOF appears to be cleansed.
You die...

;) how about this?

btw, good idea w/ the fixed score for the bugged. does this refer to characters develeped using score-affecting bugs only, or to all bugged characters? in other words, if you use RoW+PoEx abuse to maximize your stats, does your score in the hof drop to -1? (such characters are hard to tell from "normal" ones, though) sorry for asking a question i could answer myself easily, but i've no time to browse the rankings now.
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

If I were to transfer an .svg file to a different computer with the same version of ADoM, would that count as savescumming?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5819 days, 16 hours, 42 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

Nay, if you don't transfer it back.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6500 days, 11 hours, 47 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

well, he could bring it back if he deleted the other one when he transfered it.
You die...
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

About the bugged ones: That only apply to score altering bugs. Or more spesificaly to the bug with the "He/she made the merchant guild owe him/her money." acomplishment (I believe it's acomplished by turning a low value potion into poison so that the shop actualy owe you money for increasing the value of theyr stock or some such (poison hands coruption)). Characters with this acomplishment listed seems to get billions of points added to theyr score, so much in fact that if often wraps around and they end up with a negative score in the billions or hundreds of millions... Because of the tremendous effect the bug has on the final score they are given "special" treatment. More "normal" bugs are not treated this way.

Note that exessibely and deliberately abusing bugs coud be considered cheating though. Although it has to be pretty severe to get my attention (like "copying" artefacts and such (for example you used to be eable to "dig" up graves using a wand of digging without acualy destroying the grave, so you could dig up the same grave multiple times getting new loot over and over, this also applied to the grave containign the Sword of Nonak allowing multiple instances of that artefact to be created)).

Transfering savefiles to another computer is just fine in itself, asuming you only to it to keep playing where you left off...

Another category of characters that should not be submited are characters played on a modified ADOM version (even if they where played legitemately). It's not exactly cheating but most if not all of the unofficial "bugfixes" available out there will change the games inernal workings in the process (some more blatantly than others, for example the "fix" to monsters attacking themselves when going into rage was simply to preventing monters from ever going into rage in the first place, another patch "fix" the artefact list and make a lot more artefacts available for random drops and so on). As such a patched game is no longer an official adom version but more like a "variant" of ADOM, and I have no intention of making halls for those. Unfortunately again, these are near impossible to actualy spot based on te FLG file, and I pretty much have to rely on people being honest.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3569 days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

Jan, could you remove my character 'Karl' from untimely deaths because I thought untimely deaths is for savescummed characters :$ Yes I know I'm pathetic and bad at English.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 at 07:42 (GMT -5)

Ok, I've taken Karl off the list, thanks for telling me.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3569 days, 20 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

Also, there are two identical characters named Rain there. Needs fixing.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 at 13:37 (GMT -5)

Heh, this is getting scary. I even added those two at the same time O_o

Gonna start reading those FLG's a tad more thouroughly I guess :-O

Oh well. Removed one of the duplicates.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?