Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Zangband...any thoughts?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1891 days, 15 hours, 13 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

Hi Guys,

I have been playing ADOM for many years now. I only recently decided to give Zangband a shot. There are some things that I like about it (lots of classes, races, and a different magic system) but even with all of this there is something that draws me to ADOM. I dont really know what it is.

I have tried quite a few different roguelikes, comercial games, console games etc. and nothing can quell my gaming desires quite like ADOM. It is kind of sick...With all of the new flashy games out there and all of the hardware advancements I still find that ADOM is the first game I return to.

I think I have a problem. Anyways back to the original question

Do you like Zangband?
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6633 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 at 04:13 (GMT -5)

Yes I do, but I keep going back to ADOM for no obvious reason :)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 7 hours, 47 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 21:27 (GMT -5)

I played Zangband for a little bit. That or Hengband, always get all those variants confused. Definitely why the source code should not be released..

Think its Zangband (Well, 50% sure), but I really -loved- the Beserker class, and Cyborg race. The fact that Ninja/Rogue can see in the dark, and actually prefer it is cool as well.

Other roguelikes I'm into is SLASHEM (Nethack Addon) with the large tiles. Only RL i actualy play with "graphics"

I play Tomenet, and a little more rarely Tome.

Other amazing games you should look into that are "Graphicless" are Warning Forever. A small program made by a japanese coder remiscient of the arcade scrolling plane shooters. Raiden for example. Only its totally in vector, Bossfights only, and the game never ends. Boss actually evolves depending on how you kill it :)

Oh..Forgot what else I was going to plug :/

Questioner
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

Just started Hendbang(a varient of Zangband with ninjas). So much harder than ADOM.
Seems awesome but the insane out-of-depth spawns is making me hate it.
I just got surprised and eaten by lvl 37 monsters on lvl 17, pretty much nothing I can do as I saw them too late and do not know the monster levels unless I have killed them before(unlike ADOM). Guess the only solution is to metagame and teleport the moment you see something impossible.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: