Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / RNG heaven

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

6686 days, 5 hours, 1 minute and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 04:23 (GMT -5)

I've not posted before - always been a lurker.
I had to tell someone about the awesome luck I've just had. As a lvl4 gnomish wizard on VD2 I stumbled into a room containing a pool and a Gremlin. Naturally the Gremlin stumbled into the pool and you know what happens next ;) I waited in the doorway of the room and simply started hacking away. So far I've killed over 4500 gremlins and got to lvl10. Not great (gremlins only give 5xp) but I must be the best kitted-out lvl10 ever. Almost every spellbook has dropped (incluing Wish and Create Item), as have a phase dagger, 2x seven league boots, 5 blesse PoGA, many potions of strength, toughness etc (I've now got St29, and To28 as a level 10 gnome wizard!), a yellow elven chain mail of protection , more amulets, wands, rings etc than i could ever use and I'll never run out of food. I'm also up to 25,000 gold.
Should I just keep Gremlin hacking or is it kind of cheating?
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3586 days, 3 hours, 25 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

Wow man :D I suggest that ya keep hackin' n' slashin' 'til ya drop! Ok, not till you drop, don't you die man!!
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6635 days, 18 hours, 11 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 07:11 (GMT -5)

Hack till you get bored :) Or till one or two weapon skills reach 14.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 09:12 (GMT -5)

It just gets better. I got a bit bored so went down to VD6. There was a muddy pool. I drank twice and miraculously got 2 wishes!!! I'm now the proud owner of an AoLS and a staff of the magi. I don't think i'll chance drinking from the pool again though ;).

When is the RNG going to cut me down? It's got to be soon. Greater mimic vault possibly???
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

Are you serious cos I have never gotten a wish in any way.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

Staff of the magi is an artifact and cannot be wished for. You're a liar!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5150 days, 9 hours, 21 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 10:11 (GMT -5)

No it isn't. And it can. And he isn't.(Necessarily).

You must be thinking of staff of the ARCHmagi.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3907 days, 1 hour, 42 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

Probably Thrundarr is on vacation and Andy is guarding the lever instead, and he wants you to slay an ElDeR ChAoS GoD ;)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 11:26 (GMT -5)

Echo - please look up staff of the magi; it's a normal item and i did wish for it.

If you want to believe i'm a liar, fine; but i'm not. Molach is right - staff of the Archmagi is an artifact, and i certainly didn't wish for that.

And yes I am serious - 2 drinks from a pool and 2 wishes. I'm not totally lucky though as I've just got myself cursed and doomed :(

Level 17 and going steady. I've got bored of Gremlin whacking so i'm now in CoC doing normal things.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 22 hours, 55 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

I've got just 1 question - why would you wish for a staff of the magi?! It's just a +4-8 Mana with [+3,+3] on it. You can get more from a crystal shield and a wish for potions of mana...
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/19/2005 at 13:34 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5996 days, 18 hours, 4 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

I suddenly start to wonder If I'm to go with my Drakish Priest to Gremlin Cave?
No pools, just water traps. Easy to take controll quickly due to bolt/ball spells, disarm traps spell, teleportation, and, of course, 7LB.
Just have to be patient there... And pick their pockets before dismem bering. They do have pockets, don't they?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom - I know the staff of the Magi isn't great but after bashing thousands of Gremlins my staves skill was up to 10 and i was still using a normal quarterstaff so thought i'd better upgrade (and no crystal shield)

Nchurmdaz - the Gremlin Cave is a bit different - the Gremlins there don't drop items if i recall correctly (or have a low drop rate), so you would have to pickpocket them. The water traps eventually disappear as well so there are a finite number of Gremlins there. It's stil a good way to get items if you have a high PickPockets skill though :)

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

Could this be used as an early game strategy ? A wizard or priest with calm monster could get a gremlin from the gremlin cave and take him somewhere with a water trap.
Would it work on the water squares of a swamp ?

I might test doing this to see if its worth it. It could at least get you lots of spellbooks. The problem is getting a gremlin (easy with clam monster) and finding somewhere with water (a wand of trap creation would be useful).
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6819 days, 3 hours, 26 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

unfortunately, you cannot tame a monster w/ the calm spell. calm monster is only a temporary solution and makes monsters uninterested in you, not friendly

imo you could use a sofs in gremlin caves, then lure the tame gremlin to CoC (or wherever you want), then scum items (and wskills, yup)...
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/21/2005 at 09:45 (GMT -5) by d666]
honzalinek
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

This happened to me this week: I found a shop with figurines of wondrous power and one of the figurines was a gremlin... IMO this is the only (assured) way to gain a tame gremlin.
cobalt
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

warning! ever so slightly spoily

no no no its EASY to get gremlins to water just have fluff balls and get them wet where you want them.. :P there are always several fluff bals in grem cave , if you go swimming with them in your bag theres a chance that `gremlins suddenly burst from your bag!` nothing special in the wilderness but funny if your in the underwater cave ;P
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4947 days, 9 hours, 6 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

Incidentally, another way to gain a gremlin companion is to wish for a 'friend', and you'll get a random monster companion. It *might* be a gremlin. I wouldn't rely on this tactics though ;)
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4964 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

It's easier to just wish for the gremlin directly. Or, better yet, wish for gremlinS.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 06:31 (GMT -5)

Wishing for a gremlin is pointless because you can just walk over a water trap with a fluff ball in your backpack and voila you've got yourself some gremlins.

But hey, don't the gremlins become more powerful the more you kill them? Like jackals?
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

safe up to 2000-3000
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5835 days, 23 hours, 44 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Yea, especially considering that ur weapon skills grow with gremlin lvls, I killed 7902 once without scare.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
cobalt
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 at 23:16 (GMT -5)

no the jackals are just bugy it doesnt matter how many you kill i think its just the level you are when you encounter them, unless it only takes a dozen or so kills to make them damned annoying.
Kender1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

Well I got both ends of the RNG this morning. Found a pair of "worn boots 30s" on level 2 of the puppy cave, and literally two steps later, (as in left arrow once, left arrow twice), BOOM a stone block falls on my head. The RNG giveth, and the RNG taketh away!!!!

Good Hunting all,
Kender
benappo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

I also got both ends of the RNG this morning. I dipped 7 potions of cure posion into a blessed potion of excahnge and got - 7 blessed potions of gain attributes! Shortly after on Lvl12 CoC I ran into a ghul which managed to paralyse me and 4 claw bugs then proceeded to rip me another ***hole. C'est la vie!
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

cant be worse than my stack of 12 blessed !oGA(9 from !oE) got turned into poison. fuck.
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

hearter - that is not the fault of the RNG, but your own stupidity. No offense though :P
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6758 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 at 03:54 (GMT -5)

A couple levels below the arena, my 12. level fighter came across a goblin vault, which ended up with the bracers of war. The same fighter got paralyzed later by a ghul and dropped from 132 hp to negatives just during the paralyzation. I can't describe the frustration. (actually, it happened a lot before, but who learns from his faults?)
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3764 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

Ugh... ghoul paralysis... Willpower helps, but I guess you hadn't found herbs yet by then...
Die Gedanken sind Frei
QuantumBinary
Registered user

Last page view:

6832 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Three pairs of worn boots found in under a minute, in the same room early game (bellow level 10)

Was VERY CLOSE to crowning (with no money or items left to sacrifice. So what do I do? Easy.. I stupidly sacrifice the 2 extra pair of boots. I go down one level and *blam*... My boots get destroyed.....

I honestly think that the game, over the years has developed a bizare awareness (AI) and thus like to poke fun at us...
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

QuantumBinary, you sure know you can sacrifice living creatures by leading them on the altar and pressing 'O'?

(Take care, they could do the same to you)
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: