Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How to smith?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jekk
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

Sorry it's not in the guide or the manual and I can't intuitively figure out how to use a forge OR an anvil :P

I just need to know the steps for turning a lump if metal ore into a ingot, then into a useful item/enhancement. I tried searching but I found the search engine to be kinda weak. Thanx for any help!!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 1 hour, 32 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

1. Stand at the forge
2. Wield a one-handed hammer
3. Apply smithing skill
4. select item to be improved
5. Select ingot to use for the improvement

Use steps 1-4 to get ingots from metal ore, just select the ingot where you normally select the item to be improved

(hope that's all, but it's been a while since I last used smithing, so correct me if I'm wrong)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 9 hours, 10 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

Morio is correct. I'll explain how I do it, and mabye give you some pointers how to use it in a game (this is after all spoilers)

1. To get ore pieces (you need a lot actually):
- (U)se a pickaxe, or (better) put it in tool slot and press 'u', in direction of walls. You can even do it in terinyo or lawinthelwall. Mining skill will help agains breakage, as will blessing the pickaxe. One guaranteed pickaxe in pyramid. Praying at top level in ToEF will give one, costing piety. Dwarven chaos knights (Darkforge) drop them pretty often. Regular dwarves drop them fairly often (lure other creatures into dwarf level to kill them) Artifact pickaxe "Hammerhead" never breaks. Monks can kick walls at level 13+ to generate ore. Elementalists skill at level 50 might do it as well (never had one). Scrolls of repair can fix pickaxes, as can Glod.
- Creatures can dig for you. Ants (guaranteed on level 2 in puppy cave) dig well. Lure dwarves from dwarftown to the other dungeon levels to let them dig there. Some other monsters dig too (bullette, ankheg, giant raccon...)

2. Smithing - I've done it this way last 5 games.
- Do the 4 first dwarven quest.
- When you receive the 5. quest head for glod's place, dodging the demon. When you get there, try to dance around so glod and the demon end up next to each other. After a little time they should start fighting. Glod will lose, most often dying (if he panics think of something else). Glod will leave behind an eternium warhammer, an anvil (the hardest thing to find normally) and free use of his forge.
3. Wield the warhammer, have anvil in inventory. press 'a' and apply smithing. Scroll through the list and select (rusty items) or metal ore. My smithing is usually low at this point, so it will take a few tries. Continue making ore into ingots.
(I usually take a break after this, to let my smithing skill build up)
4. You can only improve items, not create from scratch. All metal items can at least go to +6 +6 fairly easy. De-equip items you want to work on. (It's smart to have different types of metal for different body parts, for instance eternium cap, adamantium girdle and mithril boots and iron bracers (of speed or resistance). This way you can utilize different ore types, instead having to dig for just one.
5. 'a'pply smithing again, select piece you want to improve and select the right type of ingot (no penalty if you get it wrong)
6. Possible results are: You manage to improve X, you fail to improve X or despite your best efforts X does not improve. The last message does not mean item cannot be improved more. For instance you can get it from a +8 +2 girdle. This means game chose to try to improve DV (and not the +2 PV) and failed. So you can try again.

Oh and DO remember to buy smithing from the Dwarven smith first...heh
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

i laughed when i saw i could correct this:
2. Wield a one-handed hammer

the huge iron hammer also works, and im pretty sure its two-handed

its rumoured that wearing a leather apron helps smithing

if you're smith class, melting down anvils gives ~8 iron ingots. if you melt only blessed items all the ingots formed will be blessed, so bless the anvil first before melting.

smiths can create spear traps and drain them for spears to melt. armies of gnolls and hill orcs drop many battle axes and crude spears respectively which can be scummed for penetrating orcish spear of devastation, then melt the rest for iron.

i think luck also helps smithing, so wear ankh + rings of luck and as many blessed items as possible.

high willpower helps increase the limit for which items can be smithed.

if you used crosspiety or overflow piety, you can get like 20+ pickaxes from your god by praying on the temple levels.

and if youre crazy like me, bless your hammer and apron and anvil too :)

Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 at 19:51 (GMT -5)

WOW! Thanx for the info guys, time to go smithing ;)
cobalt
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

hmmm ive always goten something like `you need one hand free to work` if both hands were ocupied . and dont bother melting down the anvil for ingots if your a weaponsmith then you can melt down almost all metal items into ingots of that type. and blessed ingots do seem to have a higher rate of improving items so maybe save the blessed ones for items that are relly close to their limit. for iron itmes its never hard to get enough ingots others are a bit more dificult to get unless youve been hording everything in the game
oh melt large piles of items at a time i cant remember what the number is but you need a certain weight in material youre melting to get ingots , like melting one sword might not even get one so try to do big piles at a time.

killing the corrupted dwarven smith is also a way to get an anvil if your not a weapon smith and dont want to let the demon loose in dwarf town and potential kill the ratling or other good npcs ;)
Maniac
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

>if youre crazy like me, bless your hammer and apron and anvil too
You are not crazy. It's normal to bless hammer/apron/anvil (better ingot too), put all items, which increase luck and drop all items you willn't use - this will maximaze chance of successful applying skill. Apron increase chanse ~20%, blessed ingot ~50%.

After improving item with smithing, you can use scrolls of defence/protection, (of course blessed), and make any item much more better.

AFAIK high mining skill increase the chance of generating ore, when you break the wall. Of course, you can use pickaxe without mining skill, but remove all artifacts and items, wich grant invinsibility, or you will go to starving very fast.

BTW moloch armor also can be improved (but it is very hard - I tried it myself), and if you are playing smith - it can be melting (you will get about 80 eternium ingots). If you are another class - items can be melt with fire (spell, wand or ToEF), this of course is not often, but you can try it with useless items - some of them will transform into ingots.

Early I try to improve many items, to make ultra ending - so I completely destroyed three levels in CoC,Making them bigger, then Big Room :) By using greater demon I kill Glod in every game - this is very usefull to get high-quality items.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: