Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / New Player

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

SenseAndViolets
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 02:23 (GMT -5)

Hey,

I just discovered ADOM (and rogue-likes in general) and I can't decide if it's more fun or frustrating. <g> I'm ecstatic to have found an active board about the game, web searches just bring up loads of the same pages that are copied everywhere, and all of the links in bundled FAQ are either dead, or the website is no longer maintained.

So far I've gotten a character to beat the carpenter quest, but can't seem to play through any further. This board seems to have oodles of postings, so I'm sure this issue's come up before. Would some veteran kindly link me to general newbie-help threads here?

I'm not above spoilers, but I do prefer hints, just a general, go to these places in roughly this order. I can't get any more quests in town, don't want to do the thief-village quest, so my last two characters died in the "rather boring cave" it's pretty difficult to travel much of anywhere, what with the constant ambushes and all... etc. etc.

But I digress, relevent links would be much appreciated!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 13 hours, 17 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

There are loads of threads with minor problems, and most people here would link you to the guidebook, which is as spoily as spoilers get.
But here's a few hints - after you complete the carpenter quest (BTW, Did you kill him, or did bring him to the healer?) the village elder says somthing about evil being to the east and such - go south, through the swamps to safely pass the river, go past the pyramid (it's closed, but once your char hits level 13, *something* will happen, and you should know, what to do next) and head to the mountain chain to the east. There you'll find a dungeon, which is roughly in the center of the map. It's the dungeon which is the center of the story of ADOM. There you'll find answers you need and if you're lucky, you even might save the world (or conquer it with your raging hordes of chaos ;P ).

If you need any specific advice try and look on Andy Williams' guidebook, the bible of all ADOM players ;) http://www.andywlms.com/adom/
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
hearter
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 07:16 (GMT -5)

here's some advice. as a new player, expect to die soon. but try again anyway. and again. and again. so you eventually save the world.

a wizard is the best class to learn with at first i think. or a paladin(might and magic).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

5 days, 8 hours, 42 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

You might also find the newsgrup helpfull:

If your ISP offer Usenet access you can find it at this "adress".

rec.games.roguelike.adom

If you have no clue what I'm talking about (you realy should look into it though), you can access it over the web via groups.google.com here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.adom

Just remember newsgroiups are not your average webforum (like this one), they tend to have a more formal etiquette and so forth. I'd recomend reading the FAQ first:
http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html

Oh and welcome to the wonderfull world of ADOM.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3585 days, 17 hours, 47 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 09:12 (GMT -5)

One thing you should remember, is that this game is extremely hard. I've played 4 years on and off and never been even close to winning other than by cheating. So expect to be making hundreds and even thousands of new characters.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3906 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
As Maelstrom said, travel south below the river, but keep away from the road in front of the pyramid, because this road is used by many dangerous creatures

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5996 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

You'll improve lifespan of almost each of your characters if you use 'w'alk command - that is, pressing 'w', then walking direction or 5 to wait at the same place.

And a general advice - read *very* carefully through the list of keybindings, and try to memorize what things you *can* do. Full knowledge of layout and it's functions will come with experience, but being prepeared will speed up the process.
Ubi patria ibi bene!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/14/2005 at 18:34 (GMT -5) by Nchurmdaz]
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4964 days, 4 hours, 11 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 18:56 (GMT -5)

Like the :s command. It's not at all that easy to find, but very useful when you encounter neutral creatures in a corridor.

"Just passing through!"
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
SenseAndViolets
Registered user

Last page view:

6818 days, 5 hours, 4 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 at 22:28 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the tips all. :] I'll be sure to check out anything I haven't yet. I had found the site with the guide book on it before, but figured it was the same as the in game manual for some spacey reason I can't recall.

I found magic a bit confusing when I first tried characters that use it, so I've been sticking to farmer characters since they seem like pretty good all arounders. (And I feel that survival skill is pretty much necessary.) Maybe it's time to give 'em another shot.

-Cheers
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5149 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

Spellcasting is easy enough, as a wizard you start with at least one book with a bolt spell in it (for instance, fire bolt)

First you need to read it, just press 'r'. You will gain knowledge in the spell. The number of castings you gain depend on a great many things, but I think even the manual mentions learning. Some players save book untill they are smarter, because if you can read again a few times the book will eventually crumble.

After that, its easy to cast spells. Just press 'Z' (capital Z, lowercase z is wand-zapping), then select your spell from the list.
It will look like this:

A - Frost Bolt: 624, 12pp [P:+0,R:5, E:4d6+r*]

Press A to select Frost bolt. This spell requires a destination, so press a key from 1-9, 5 will target on self. 624 means how many castings you got left (sort of) and 12pp is how much PP you pay to cast it. P:+0 is power, will go up with casting the spell. R:5 is spell range. E:4d6+R* is effect, in this case cold damage. That R* has something to do with range, more damage closer up, logically.

Anyway spellcasting is easy, and it is a good way to play a wizard to familarize yourself with what the different spells do.

Some wizarding spoilers:

Spoiler

Wizards (and priests) find MANY more spellbook than other caracters.
Wizards start with the all-important healing skill (regain HPs faster) as well as concentration (regain PP faster).
Wizards have it easier to learn spells than other classes.
A high Willpower will increase your spell range, as will a certain talent.
Willpower can be trained (made higher) with a minty herb.
Learning can be trained by simply reading many books.
Mana (determines how much pp you have) will be trained by casting spells.
From the last two follows that it is smart to read books even if you don't need castings, and to cast (useless) spells when you can

Allrightiethen?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/15/2005 at 17:59 (GMT -5) by Molach]
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6635 days, 8 hours, 33 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

Casting spells dont train weapon skills, naturally.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
QuantumBinary
Registered user

Last page view:

6832 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

All I can say is this:

If you do not want spoilers, READ every clue that the game gives you. From mouths that appear out of nowhere and speak to fortune cookies. The clues contained in the game are INVALUABLE! <grin>

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3585 days, 17 hours, 47 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

One of the fortune cookie sayings is: "Don't believe everything 'they' say."
QuantumBinary
Registered user

Last page view:

6832 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

Hrrrrmm.. Should you not therefor ignore what that particular cookie says? <grin>

Hehehe.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5149 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 at 11:26 (GMT -5)

No, that particular cookie logically has to be true.

It it were false, then it would mean that "DO believe everything they say"...which means that all cookies are true...which conflicts with our original assumption that this statement be false.

Therefore, Echo's cookie saying IS true, and it follows that there ARE cookies which are untrue. You can not decide which, though.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: