Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Chaos Gods

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Col. Brandon
Registered user

Last page view:

6012 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

I was just wondering something. What exactly is the relation between Andor Drakon and the other Chaos gods (the ones you pray to)? Apparantly they are helping you close the gate and stop the incursion of Chaos, but on the other hand they won't let you sacrifice orb guardians (though will help you fight them). I think I also read that they won't help you fight Andy.

I know the gameplay reasons why this is, but any theories story-wise about the behaviour?

Also, wouldn't it be interesting if alignment played a bigger role? For example, if you were chaotic you would be helping the other (intelligent) chaos creatures conquer the world? Obiviously in this scenario there would need to be many more neutral and lawful monsters to fight.

Just random thoughts.
"One half of world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." -Emma
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 1 hour, 4 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

Well first of all I'm guessing "loyalty" and "teamwork" is not high on the list of the personal qualities of a chaotic diety.

Andor is probably not the kind of guy who'll share power, so keeping him sealed away probably doesn't seem like such a bad idea for the lesser chaos gods either.

Finaly as I understand it Andor is not a "real" diety, but rather a mortal that has somehow figured out a way to controll the raw forces of chaos. The lesser chaos gods probably don't like the idea of an upshot like him lording it over them.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6756 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

Are the elemental altars, altars of Andor Drakon itself?

And secondly, are the CoC under direct control of Andor Drakon, or does he just control the last floor(and the elemental temple levels) and is using the normal inhabitants of the caverns as defence?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/9/2005 at 09:22 (GMT -5) by Asdas]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 16 hours, 5 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 05:13 (GMT -5)

Hmm lessee...Andor is opening a portal to our world deep in the cavern of chaos. And he is pouring chaos (corruption) into the world from it.
Andor's goal is probably to convert followers to the chaotic side by exposing them to corruptions, and thus turning them into chaos brothers and -sisters, and writhing masses of chaos. When enough of the world is chaotic then Andor can simply enter our world and be greeted as a returned Demi-god. He is not a true god yet, but hopes to build enough followers so that he can become one. All the other chaotic creatures (kobolds, goblins) are serving the regular chaos gods, same that chaotic PC's pray to.

Why Andor insists on having all the tough monsters down on D:50 is a bit of a wonder, because one balor would easily have beaten the dwarf village, and terinyo, and making any hero's quest even more challenging. Especially considering that the famous sage now lies helpless near death. But this is the same in every RPG I've ever seen. The big bad guy always shows up last, when the PC has gained items and experiance after killing his way through to him. if I ever become a End-game nasty, Ill be sure to roam to where new level 1 adventures appear, and slaughter them.

tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6634 days, 56 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Well, if I'm a KING; I'll stay in my castle, among my fellow followers, whether I'm good at fighting or not. Let the lowbie do the dirty jobs.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5995 days, 48 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

But at least keep something brute and horrible you don't want to keep close to you at your borders. Especially if those borders are as narrow as a staircase... In any case we know the concept of a 'borderguard' - someone who doesn't belong to elite, but is armed good enough to shoot down armed opponents. And call for help!
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Seve
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

But hey we allready got the intelligent bad guys winning on real life so do we need them intelligent bad guys winning in rpg's too?
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Nchurmdaz:

Do andy know the whereabout of someone who killed all of his chaos creature without leaving leftover? I dont think so. He just know that his fellows are being mass-murdered. That why there's a large amount of guardians at important spots.
My RL dumpyard:

Col. Brandon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Actually you can somewhat explain why tough monsters are lower. Remember that the dwarf village is protected by the sealed gate below the graveyard. There is also the wall of flames to get past. As well as the changing stairs that require the 5 orbs to change.

I would guess that the monsters on D:50 have just recently come through the gate. Andy probably would keep so many strong monsters at the lowest level to avoid any sneak attacks. If he sent them out onto the surface (or to the upper levels) it might be easier to sneak past them and get to the gate with it relatively unguarded.

It seems Andy's main defence is the stairway needing 5 orbs to change. Notice he does have very powerful monsters guard those.

The real question is: why make 2 levers that can close the gate?

EDIT: I forgot another defence from deeper-cave monsters: the eternal guardian: not even balors could defeat him! (he just keeps coming back!)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/17/2005 at 10:30 (GMT -5) by Col. Brandon]
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5995 days, 48 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 at 07:02 (GMT -5)

Least and Lesser demons have a description saying they were sent by major masters.
Here comes another concept - intelligence. Scouts and observers who's main mission is not to atack anything on sight, but merely observe. Again - infoming masters and major forces. One such scout at Water Temple informing of Snake death would manage to alarm some balors who could be found around D:47. A mere fact of destruction of such an important outpost would mean a real lot.

Otherwise, if all forces of chaos are so disconnected by changing stairs and elemental anomalies, then what's the explaination of major demons generation on low levels of CoC? They can't just be 'created' there. They surely "get" there from somewere, and get willingly. And they have minions-informators. The message of such important events as elemental temples pillage can doubtfully go unnoticed. I can understand stupidity of WoMPC, but Greater Demons and Balors with tons of Chaos Servants, Chaos brothers/sisters, Lesser and Least demons running around - ?
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Col. Brandon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

Remember that in the description of female least demon it talks about her master forgetting about her (or dying in constant revolts). It seems like lesser demons come not through the gate, but directly between dimensions. I didn't get the impression that they were actually loyal to Andy in particular, just some local demon overlord who probably has his own goals and ambitions. Again, my example with the Chaos gods shows that not everyone is behind Andy (and might want him to be sealed in by the gate).

Probably Andy is just sending swarms of creatures into the world and letting them cause their own destruction. It might not be feasible to organize chaos creatures or give them more than the most basic commands (the weaker beings because of stupidity, the higher because of their own ambition). I got the impression that these chaos monsters were mainly a distraction to give Andy enough time to pass through the gate himself and lead an actual organized army (similar to ultra ending).

He might of succeeded, except that some demonic engineer had to create two levers that closed the gate.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 18 hours, 55 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

Yeah, what I don't get is why he doesn't close the gate for safety when a potential Ultra Ending winner comes through D:50. You'd think the screams of five hundred dying purple j's would alert him :)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6756 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 at 14:19 (GMT -5)

One of the "bad guy"s' identical characteristic is self-confidence. That's why they lose in every fiction. Andor might be just the same.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2005 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

"One of Us, One of Us"

Only Andy could see through an ultra ender. I'm wondering the intelligency of all those chaos creatures.
My RL dumpyard:

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: