Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Just a thought for adom.de

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5834 days, 6 hours, 44 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

I think it would be nice if there would be *parties* of certain monsters (goblins kobolds) rather than a single unit.
Of course, it's not at the beginning, I mean it for the mid-endgame.
And it could be that they are positioned tactically-e.g. goblin berserkers and goblins surround rock throwers.
Tell me if it would be too hard to program.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

So, do you like this?
Yes  No
Check results

Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3584 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 08:29 (GMT -5)

Excellent idea. Also the PC could participate in dwarfs vs. orcs wars down in the dungeons, would be cool aye.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4962 days, 20 hours, 49 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 13:41 (GMT -5)

Sort of like a goblin military unit? You would have to up their experience a couple of levels, to reflect the fact that they are not the run-of-the-mill kind of goblins, but rather a disciplined and battle hardened combat squad...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 13:43 (GMT -5)

That is why I meant this:

"Of course, it's not at the beginning, I mean it for the mid-endgame."

Or there could be different strenghts of it, e.g. a raiding party at the beginning, but a whole little squad of 'em monsters at the end.

(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3584 days, 10 hours, 25 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

We have vaults anyway. They're kind of -foo- fortresses.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

No, they're bunched pathetic heaps of monsters... perhaps vaults could be changed according to my idea: goblin berserkers/kobold(chieftain)s at the vault entrances and lots of goblin rockthrowers/kobold archers (neew unit?) inside.
But then the AI will have to be changed hard...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5995 days, 1 hour, 4 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

In fact there are few words like "-foo- is a chieftain. His followers must be somewere nearby". However, these -foo-'s often wander just by themselves...
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Asdas
Registered user

Last page view:

6756 days, 14 hours, 10 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 08:26 (GMT -5)

I don't know well enough, but since there aren't going to be any new versions of ADOM in the near future, I suggest filling out the blanks with a little creativity (like role-playing).

For example, like Echo said, vaults could be places where a bunch of monsters have built a stronghold and were living there for some time, and tension rooms could be forward outposts or newer settlements. ADOM is fit for roleplaying as well as powerplaying, so have fun.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

I thoroughly second Battle Bunny's suggestion. If I had the patience (and skill) to create my own roguelike, I would focus a lot of attention on monster group dynamics. Amongst other things, I would love to see monsters collaborating intelligently as well as different monster species compete for territory/resources. Even cooler would be a virtual world where random and PC events have long-term repercussions (e.g. PC kills lots of orcs so orcs either start dying out as a species, become more aggressive/cohesive to protect themselves, move to safer territory, seek an alliance with other species, etc. , etc.) I have tons of ideas, just no time/expertise for converting them into the kick-ass game that I envisage! :p
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 22 hours, 33 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 23:47 (GMT -5)

Just make it so the chieftans trigger an effect similar to an alarm trap, though the PC is the center of attention. When chieftans spawn, spawn a small number of applicable cohorts.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 at 08:31 (GMT -5)

And of course, it should increase with danger levels.
I like this "orcs would do something if you kill lots of them", Gozer. I'll soon post an RFE, even tho I dunno when they get in... c'm'now, I have RFE's posted a YEAR ago!
And there could be warring parties of orcs and dwarves, and other hostile races, where you could take side, etc. etc. (For example, you kill one of the dwarves, all the orcs become neutral, and if the dwarven group is killed, you can talk with an orc to get a bit of gold, an item, an orcish weapon of higher than average quality, and so on...)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/12/2005 at 08:34 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 at 01:21 (GMT -5)

we cant get an update out of TB as it is, i can tell you that would be difficult to code...
this isnt world of warcraft after all...
imho...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

"this isnt world of warcraft after all"
heh, I like that..
I voted no. With goblins and kobolds it might work, but just imagine meeting a horde of mimics, dopplegangers or hundreds of dragons retreating...
Do you think an archmage could survive for long when he's surrended by ~100 ancients and no free space to teleport? It might be funny though, a lv 50 char going through the wildie humming happily after having defeated AnDoR DrAkHoN, when he sees an army of kirins in front of him...
If this idea will be implemented, it might be good to have some kind of warning, when entering a specific room, you get a message like: there is a lingering berserker smell in this room, you examine the tools on the floor and after thinking for a while, decide that a party of berserkers camped here for the night and headed north 2 hours ago. Now that would be cool. It might be good to include a new skill called "Tracking". The more I think about it, the more I see it was a good idea(gg BattleBunny) but I agree with Raven, it would be xtremely difficult to code, as TB himself says, if he had a team of programmers, thing would be different...
For the Horde!
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6634 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

To Mewto:

He already got one (for ADOM)
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 at 06:58 (GMT -5)

yeah, the graphics show that..
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: