Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Monks

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Col. Brandon
Registered user

Last page view:

6011 days, 22 hours, 34 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

Few questions regarding monks:

1. How big is their penalty for using weapons? Is it still worth it if you find a good artifact weapon?

2. If not, then is it worth it getting precrowned? Considiring that most precrowns are weapons.

3. Do think for monks that it's better to use stronger races (for obvious reasons) or ones that level up faster (for monk bonuses) and are better at learning spells?
"One half of world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." -Emma
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 8 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

2. Any monk should definately get precrowned ASAP. Here's why:
1. Boots of the Divine Messenger
2. Iron Crown of Havlor
3. Ring of Immunity
4. Robes of Resistance
5. Shezestriakis
6. Shirt of the Saints

Those are the possible artifacts monks can get, taken from Da GuideBook.
I can't see any weapon in the list, can you?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3124 days, 1 hour, 26 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

Mewto, those are possible CROWNING gifts, not pre-crowning artefacts. It's pretty possible that a monk would get Wyrmlance or Staff of the Archmagi.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

1. I haven't played a lot of monks, but I seem to recall that the armed combat penalty isn't a total game-breaker. Having said that, I would need to find a *great* weapon (like, say, Vanquisher) to avoid fighting unarmed.

2. It's definitely worth getting precrowned! Even if you do get a weapon that you don't think is worth using, you can still sell it (there is also at least one other spoily use for undesirable artifacts).

3. When playing monks I prefer to use races that are more likely to level up quicker and learn spells better (like elves or gnomes). Physical attributes are easily improved and monks have a fantastic set of skills that I like to level up as quickly as possible.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3606 days, 8 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom you've just witnessed the effect not sleeping enough has on people. 4th day in a row :-((((
For the Horde!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1232 days, 18 hours, 4 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 at 16:28 (GMT -5)

Beastfighters unarmed penalty is insane, Monks isnt too bad.

Vanquisher can not be generated by monks. It can only be generated by a select few classes as crowning gifts. Barbarians and I believe Necromancers spring to mind.

Troll Monks are fun. Huge damage, their food penalty is nulled, and they heal pretty quick
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 at 18:15 (GMT -5)

I may be wrong, but I thought any r/c combo could generate any artifact through pre-crowning and/or random drops.

The problem with troll monks is the slow levelling - monks need to level relatively speedily to benefit from their awesome skill set. With some careful playing, any non-troll monk can develop comparable toughness and strength to a troll by mid-game.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 4 hours, 13 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

Gozer: You are wrong, the crowning artifacts can not be generated as random artifacts (allthough there are some exceptions). There is a patch that allows them to be, but I think that's considered cheating.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Well, maybe Vanquisher can't be randomly generated, but I have seen plenty of other artifacts appear through pre-crowning or as random drops (e.g. Thunderstroke, Whirlwind, Serpent's Bite, Executor, Skullcrusher - need I go on?!?!)

Anyway, my original point remains: I would fight barehanded with a monk unless a really fantastic weapon (artifact or otherwise) was generated.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Like the Trident of the Red Rooster?

I lost a beastfighter ultra game, because I did not have a good way to kill the last baddie. I wonder if a monk would be able to use it.

I mean, my weak wizard absolutely destroyed him with it.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: