Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Robbing shops

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5766 days, 6 hours, 35 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

Could someone please enlighten me on how robbing shops is supposed to work? The Guidebook claims that you can zap the shopkeeper with the spell of Teleportation and as long as he's teleported out of your line of sight you'll be fine. I have tried this twice, and on both occasions the shopkeeper first resisted a lot of my teleportation spells, then when one finally worked, yelled out something like "Stop, thief!" and summoned a horde of thugs who killed me.

Perhaps someone ought to post this to the newsgroup to let the Guidebook's author know, but I'm a bit shy about posting there because everyone else is so much better at ADOM than I am.
MeL-N
Registered user

Last page view:

7854 days, 18 hours, 38 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

Well, when I rob shops I just walk right in, pick up everything and teleport to the staircase :P quick and effective, If you lucky you get a couple thugs after you and take them up/downstairs and get some xp out of it too :D
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 at 06:23 (GMT -5)

Wow, I should have thought of that - even without teleport control I could have teleported myself away from the hordes and maybe survived.

Do you become cursed or doomed if you rob shops in a way that angers the shopkeeper (i.e. not sneaking stuff out with invisibility)?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 4 hours, 43 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

That trick about teleporting the shopkeeper away doesn't work in version 1. In gamma 16 the shopkeeper wouldn't get hostile or summon thugs if you did thins (unless he re-apeared in a place where he could see you, wich was quite unlikely).

Now you'll always anger the shopkeeper if you teleport him away. But at least you don't have to kill the shopkeeper if you do this, and if you do it before you pick up anything you won't have any debths to the merchant guild to worry about either. The thugs by themselves are easy enough to deal with for a moderately experienced wizard, just as long as you don't have to worry about a coin flinging shipkeeper...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 at 04:54 (GMT -5)

Debts to the merchants guild? How does that affect your game? (I haven't managed to survive robbing a shop yet - my last character to try it died because she lacked poison resistance and any way to cure poison.)

I feel evil for thinking of this, but do shopkeepers fall to Death Ray?
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 at 11:11 (GMT -5)

an easy way to get around the shopkeeper (ok not really so easy, but..) is to cast earthquake. lots of holes, he can't block all of them...
also funny thing to do (kinda funny, creates an interesting picture even though it has nothing to do with shops) is to get a monster that can open doors 1 square away on the other side of the door, and keep opening/closing the door. they'll just sit there opening it every tim you open it.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 4 hours, 43 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

Nope, shopkeepers resist just about every spell out there...

Anyway IIRC the merchant guild will keep track of everything you have stolen (provided the shopkeeper noticed you and got mad), so the next time you enter a shop the shopkeeper will act as if you had picked up somethig. Block the door and demand you pay that is...

Same thing happens if you dammage the goods in a shop (messing around with the mana battery coruption in a wand shop can quickly become expensive for example).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

One thing I was wondering - if a PC is seriously hungry and strained and picks up some heavy rations and then goes to starving (that causes severe drop in stats IIRC) causing PC to be overburdened. Would it be possible to eat the food and thus get rid of starving-state or would the shopkeeper just get mad from PC eating unpaid food even if (s)he paid it ?
Bear
Registered user

Last page view:

8154 days, 21 hours, 6 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 at 07:48 (GMT -5)

yah they won't let you eat the food so if that happens it really sucks becuase your so close to getting at least 1 piece of food.

"He who conquers the past controls the future. He who conquers the future controls the past. -Kain from Command and Conquer." -Bear
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 at 10:47 (GMT -5)

i've died from that, was trying to get a large ration over to the shop keeper so i could buy it, but i had too much stuff, so i'd go outside and drop stuff, come back in, and by then my str'd droped to the pt i couldn't carry the large ration around again, so i went back out, droped more stuff, and died on the entry.
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

Ouch. That sucks. How about putting something really heavy in missile slot and throwing it away ? If you can throw huge rocks and suchlike you should be able to throw just about everything. Once you are mobile again go and pay the food. Or throw the rations at door and pick them up there so you can pay them ?
Duke Ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 11:00 (GMT -5)

tried that. Shopkeeper got mad (IIRC). besides, he was in the way for throwing stuff...
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 01:44 (GMT -5)

Did you throw them at shopkeeper (or at the doorway) or just beside the shopkeeper ? If the latter then I think it's time for an RFE. It should be possible to eay unpaid food (but still having to pay for them)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: