Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Two more questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7923 days, 23 hours, 1 minute and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

I'm playing a high elven wizard. She probably won't be going to the sinister library anytime soon (I play about 10 minutes a day. Can't wait till the semester finally ends.), but I'm trying to figure out what she should do once she gets there. Does having 99 Charisma gaurantee that companions will obey you? Can I get a companion to attack the librarian and then order him to stop before he kills him? Also, is one harpy corpse enough to make you mute for the right amount of time? And should you get the librarian out of the library while you're still mute, or can you let it wear off?

And on a completely unrelated note, would it be considered cheating if, on Christmas eve, I created a bunch of characters and saved the games so that I could play them later? Not that I've ever been against cheating (I scum constantly), but still I'm curious.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

i'd consider it a form of scumming. but that's just me.

ivan.sourceforge.net
HicPotboy
Registered user
Web-dude

Last page view:

7312 days, 1 hour, 48 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

Good questions, Amanda. I'll give you the best answers I can. I don't know if having 99 Charisma means your pets/companions will obey you all the time. I DO know, that the higher your Charisma, the better your companions will obey you. It's probably an internal dice roll, if you ask me, with the random number factoring a lot of other stuff into it as well (don't ask me what they are, I'm just a programmer!). Even if you tell a pet to stop attacking the librarian, I think the librarian will still attack your companion until it is dead. So get out of the as quick as possible if you want your pet to live. About the Harpy corpse, blessing it means you'll stay mute longer, and my opinion is (since I've never actually gotten the wierd tome) you have to be mute when you enter the library and still mute when you leave. One harpy corpse is easily enough time to get in, command your pet to attack, lure the librarian to the stairs, and get out.

And about scumming, my opinion is probably biased, since I scum, too, but I see nothing wrong with that. My cousin constantly come over and brings his characters with him on a disk, and if he loses them on his computer, they're still on the disk for him. Anyone else have an opinion on this? And a poll: did you write your own scumming program (if you scum at all), or did you download one?

---
Hicpotboy
------
Hicpotboy
---------
Less twitch, more mental itch - saying by me.

If you scum, did you write it yourself?
Yes  No
Check results

Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

What scumming program? I just copy the file from the save directory, move it into another directory, and use cut and paste to move files back and forth.

And I don't care if the companion lives. It's just that I've never played a character with companions before, so I don't know how to get one. I assumed I'd have to use Hawkslayer, but wouldn't he be strong enough to kill the librarian?

And if I sell a harpy corpse to Leggot and buy it back right before I enter the Rift, it won't rot, right?

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

Worth to mention: You apparantly don't have to be mute the entire time in the library to get the weird tome anymore. There were one on the NG who entered the library, killed every enemy and talked to the librarian and got the tome. So there's some other yet unknown requirements to meet.

Corpses will stop rot as soon as you have sold 'em to any shopkeeper who is willing to buy it.

And I consider creating lots of characters on Xmas for later play scumming.

Locke Cole
Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

8154 days, 46 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 21:46 (GMT -5)

First point: I'm not trying to preach or anything, but you -DO- realize that by scumming, cheating, etc you are playing a very different sort of game. For me, a lot of the fun of ADOM lies in dealing with the (often all too large) chances of something going horribly wrong. Preparing for such possibilities. And I think that by doing so you miss out on a lot of the deeper strategies required for the game.

Second point: Why go to the trouble of creating lots of chars on Xmas when you can set the date to Xmas whenever you want to create a char =)

[Edited at 21:50, Thursday, December 06, 2001 by Gyr]
Madman
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2001 at 22:02 (GMT -5)

Then it would make mor sense to change the date to july 2nd.Hey you dont learn anythin in adom if you dont scum once or twice initially.Thats the way a newbie plays.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

I scum because I've never beaten the game. I'm still a newbie; every time I play ADOM I realize something I never picked up on before. Someday I'll quit scumming and play like a normal person, but for right now if I don't scum I'll never get anywhere.

For right now, at least, my attitude is that scumming's okay as long as I don't hide it when describing my characters. It would be wrong for me to talk about my trollish merchant who had grand mastery of clubs and hammers and who almost beat the game without mentioning that I had to scum to get that far. Getting that far without scumming is a thousand times harder (and for me, impossible).

I know about setting the date to 12/24 (or better yet, 7/2), but I thought maybe if you actually created the characters when it really was 12/24 it wouldn't be cheating.

Zauber
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

Beat the game...omg...I am lucky if I can even save the puppy! :p

I am up to char ~30 (maybe 70...could be 300 for all i know) but have found the random characters are a lot of fun....tho I think I hate weaponsmiths now with that big old anvil of uselessness :)

I have no problem with implementing your own save game, can make it more fun - but I am finding that playing a random non-saved char is a lot more fun, initially you dont care much if they die and later on ( you know....once you make it to the carpenter :) you are a little tougher. So far my most sucessful char has been an Archer who ran out or quarrels in the first 5 minutes and pummeled everything to death for 12 more lvls untill er...erm....forgot to buy enough food.

I dont know all the places or the neat tricks you can do....prayed to a god twice....but am having a lot of fun...thats the point isnt it?

If you have a char you really really like (like a Troll Fine China Salesperson) then you may as well keep playing them and having fun!

[Edited at 10:33, Friday, December 07, 2001 by its autor]

[Edited at 10:34, Friday, December 07, 2001 by its autor]
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

LOL. When I play a trollish merchant, I always hope to specialize in potions. If I ever got the message "You decided to specialize in fine china" I would fall out of my chair laughing. Thomas ought to put weird specializations in there.

Zauber, you've only prayed twice? Wait till you learn how to use altars. You'll love that. And if you're having trouble with the game try this site: http://w3.nai.net/~andywlms/adom.html. It's the best ADOM site I've found.

Zauber
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 12:23 (GMT -5)

Oh wow....now to go find a whererat and a alter :)

btw....I was once sacrificed by a goblin....horrible
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

Actually, the god will get annoyed if you sacrifice rats that were summoned by a wererat. The dieties see it as a cheap way of getting many sacrifice victims. What you really need is a room filled with monsters. If you're not saccing at gray altars, finding an altar in the second level of the puppy cave is awesome. You can sac all the ants.

(apologies if anything I've said doesn't make sense. I just finished a programming assignment that completely drained my brain. Me no think good now.)

Zauber
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

Np....thanks for the info!....makes sense and ill give it a shot when I get the chance (aka find an alter when I am NOT running away from some group of huge beasties with sharp teeth while poisoned,sick and hungry:) hehe...or maybe thats the perfect time to find one

thanks again for the info on summoned MOBs too!
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 17:04 (GMT -5)

don't forget bleeding.

fun thing that happened once with my best char ever: ~4 or 5 lvls into the CoC, run into a room. i get the "You feel exited" message and am happy. Lots of XP! joy! then i get "You feel a certain tension." yay! more xp!! then i get *another* good message: "You feel a pious aura." you can geuss what i did with all the monsters in the tension room/vault. *g* that was a lot of saccing. didn't help later on though... poo...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

Oh man, that would have made me so happy. I'm obsessive when it comes to saccing. Once I get enough free time to actually concentrate on my character, I'm going to try to raise enough money to get crowned and a bunch of post-crownings. (I'm trying to level up without generating artifacts, so I can get more than one post-crowning. Would be nice if my level were so high that I could get two or three post-crownings in a row, but I don't see how that could happen. I guess it could, though, since I'm playing an elf.)

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 18:55 (GMT -5)

i just though of another challenge game... can't sac gold. prob change the game a bunch seing as how lots of ppl seem to like to sac gold. is there a challenge where you're forbiddin from touching gold?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

There's a "Goldman" challenge where you can't get rid of any gold you get. You can't buy anything, can't sac, have to sell any equipment you don't want (maybe even any you don't equip. I don't remember). The idea is that the gold will eventually weigh so much you'll get overburdened.

I never play metalman games, though. I think it's enough of a challenge to play the game normally. Although I might try being a goldman for a little while so I'll have a ton to sac.

Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

8154 days, 46 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 23:59 (GMT -5)

My point really wasn't that scumming is wrong, just that it -does- make for a very different game.

In all honesty, I've never won either by cheating or not cheating (gotten to D:50 though a few times [without cheating!]).

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: