Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Explore mode?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5769 days, 3 hours, 25 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

Someone on rec.games.roguelike.adom recently posted a short Perl script which he said would modify the ADOM 1.0.0 executable so that you started in explore mode and with several wands of wishing. Unfortunately, someone later posted that it would only work for the DOS/Windows versions of ADOM.

So I wonder whether anyone has done anything similar for Linux? And how did anyone figure out what to do to the executable to get this result?

I hope someone can help, as I think it would be a lot of fun to try out unusual wishes. E.g. I wonder what happens if you wish for "Andor Drakon" or "ElDeR cHaOs GoD", but if I get a wish in a real game, I'm not going to waste it on finding out.

[Edited at 08:34, Friday, December 07, 2001 by Ekaterin]
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7926 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

If you get a wish in the real game, you can always save first and make a backup copy. I wouldn't call that scumming since you're not doing anything serious in the game.

Where can I get this program for DOS/Windows? :-) And what's explore mode mean?

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

Here's the perl script:

# Ross Morgan-Linial ^_^ rmorganl@speakeasy.net
open F,'+<adom.exe';binmode F;@b=split//,pack'H*'
,'EB3EEB1F0101';@a=(9212,9265,9277,9278,3427,5042
);while(@a){seek F,19 .shift@a,0;print F shift@b}

You'll need to have Perl installed in order to run it. I think that Perl is freely available on the Internet, but you might want to consult someone who's more knowledgeable than I am about Windows. Anyway, once you have Perl, take a backup copy of your adom.exe file, then run the script in the directory with adom.exe.

WARNING: I have not tested this script and don't know whether it really does what it claims to.

In Nethack, "explore mode" means that you are immortal (when you die, you are asked whether you want to die or not). I guess it means the same in ADOM.

If you get a wish from a pool (which seems to be the most common way for me to get wishes), you can't save the game until you've answered the question "What do you wish for?", can you?
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7926 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 09:36 (GMT -5)

No, but you can save before you drink. Then just keep drinking until you get a wish, ask for whatever weird thing you want, and see what happens.

http://w3.nai.net/~andywlms/adomgb-app-M.html has a list of results from wishing for certain things.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 17:07 (GMT -5)

where can i get perl?
oh wait, my dad has my computer. damn. oh well, where can i get perl?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Messiah
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

Try WADOMF.IIts not out for ver 1 yet.It works for g16pr2 and g15.You can download old versions of adom from the adom.de archives,
You can get WADOMF here

WADOMF

Remember to CRC patch the adom.exe file.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2001 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

Duke, you can get Perl here:

Download Perl from here

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: