Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Time travel movies

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 6 hours, 31 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

The Butterfly Effect, and Frequency> both good movies involving the Cause and Effect of time manipulation
In the butterfly effect, the main character can send his mind back in time to his younger body, so he can change what happens in the present (of course this gets totally out of coontrol)
In Frequency, 30 years ago, during a strange cloud formation that i cant spell or pronounce (aurolis borrellis?) the father dies in an accident, in present day the son is 36, and starts plying with his fathers old radio transmitter and due to the freaky aurolis in the sky somehow manages to talk to his dad on the same radio, the day before he died, 30 years ago> the result? father lived, but died somewhere else, things they changed caused bad things to happen.
I love time paradox.
*<< Words go here >>*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/28/2005 at 21:11 (GMT -5) by *Chaos Muffin*]
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 14 hours and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

Time cop was good as well. Both the first and second one. Not truly the movies themselves, but the theories and such they produced.

My favorite time travel piece has to be from the X-men though. Anything involving Cable, Bishop or Apocalypse is basically a time travel story.

Real fun stuff, and they were all great characters.
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 05:46 (GMT -5)

Mmmm, Age of Apocalypse was sweeet, have u read the new xmen series? (ultimate xmen/spiderman/ultimates etc) They remade most characters well, but Sinister they turned into a stuttering psycopath instead of an evil super genius, that sucked (although he did look cooler)
(Ps: [too many brackets or not]) :p
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

16 hours, 47 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 12:28 (GMT -5)

Personaly I hate it... I mean throw in a bunch of expltions and action and stuff and I'm happy enough with the movie, but from a storry perspective I generaly hate time travel as a topic.

Like when people travel back in time to stop other people who have traveled back in time... I mean how does that work? "Ohh the bad guys went back in time an hour ago, we have to hurry after them before they change something". I mean how do they know they traveled back in the first place? And what does time matter (the nanosecond they traveled back history changed)? And why not just travel back an hour and 5 minutes and stop them before they go in the fist place instead of running around a hundred years in the past with plasma guns? Bah!

I also realy HATE the lazy "reset buton" type storries they have in a lot of Star Trek episodes and such. Like that one Voyager episode where one year passed in one episode and they got to kill of a lot of regulars and in the end Voyager did a Kamikaze run against the time machine thingy and poof everything that had happened in the episode was undone and you where back to where they started and no one was any wiser... Way to advance the storry-arc :-/

That's one of my main gripes with Star Trek actualy. Way to much time travel, I mean a minor short-suicuit in the transporter and suddenly they are back in time, or they do a warp-slingshot maouver or they run ito a spacial anomaly of some kind or re-configure theyr deflector array to create a temporal wortex or run into a time displaced wormhole or any number of other things like that... It's just ridicoluous...

IMHO the time travel stuff also ruined Transformers... Well helped along with 3-4 unrelated "continuities" going on at time sime time between the US and UK comics and the cartoons, it just turned into one giant messy soup with characters from the future traveling though time in desperate attempts to merge it all togeter into one coherent storry...

The only vaguely time-related storry I found reasonably good was Minority report, with basicaly concluded that you can't realy predict the future with 100% acuracy...

Oh, actualy I kinda liked how it was done in Schlock Mercenary (cool webcomic), no time paradoxes or anyting, you traveled back and then you where there, nothing you did could cause you to be ereased from existence or anyting like that and it was strictly a one-way trip (no travel forward in time).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 at 21:22 (GMT -5)

Yeah, i dislike silly time travel too, but Butterfly effect and frequency aren't action> theyre good movies that are showing the paradoxs created when messing with time> Oooh, theres a movie called Paycheck which is a good one as well, but since i cant be bothered explaining it, you should just watch it instead
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1229 days, 14 hours and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

Paycheck is the only good Ben Affleck movie, ever...

Not counting the ones he's in with Matt Damon as well.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

16 hours, 47 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 at 21:00 (GMT -5)

Guess I could add those to my "to watch" list.

Title sounds promesing at least, none of that "elastic time" crap.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 10 hours, 37 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

I prefer it when messing with time just creates alternate universes... that makes more sense to me.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 at 15:53 (GMT -5)

similar to that old series, Sliders> where some futures were vaugely different,(red means go, green means stop) and some were totally changed, (hitler won, the world was flooded, dinosaurs lived etc)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5888 days, 10 hours, 5 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

Two good books (not movies >.<) involving explainable time travel are The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, written by Vernor Vinge. They both involve technology known as "bobbles," where anything trapped on the inside of a bubble-like thing called a bobble would be trapped in it for a certain amount of time, but for those on the inside time would never seem to have stopped at all. Basically, forward-only time travel. Somebody could encapsulate a falling nuclear bomb in a bobble, and have it set to wear off in around fifty years, and have it go off in 50 years just as though it had never been interrupted. Bobbles could be anywhere from miniscule to encasing an entire city. I agree with the people who say they don't like the time-travel paradox stuff, although I don't mind it in small doses. This sort of thing can be pretty cool, though, if you're into books.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 at 16:30 (GMT -5)

One of the best Time Travel movies that I have seen was "13 Monkeys". More oThriller/Suspense/Drama than Action

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: