Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / More newbie questions!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

I've got some newbie questions, please share your wisdom with me:
  • Scroll of light? You can't read it in the dark so is there any better use for this?
  • SoWarning and SoInformation? Any effect to the difficulty of SC if you leave them where they are?
  • Planting herbs. I know the stable patterns but how exactly should I do it? 1 seed or many seeds? Holy water?
  • Tips for gaining strenght? My Gray elven wizards and Hurthling thieves tend to be pretty weak.
  • Is the attribute raise worth eating Keethrax? Or should I drag his corpse to the druid?
  • Should I dig up graves? Is it worth it (monsters vs. equipment)?
  • Are gems useful? Should I use them or sell them or.....?
      The ElDeR AdOmErS are extremely angry!You hear several thundering voices in your head:"NEWBIE YOU ART A NUISANCE"!!!!!-----HaaHaaa......sorry...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/23/2002 at 11:30 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3767 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
1. Scrolls of light work fine if you stand on the last lighted square beside the dark area and read them. They will light up a fixed radius, part of which will be in the dark area. Or you could read them while holding a torch, which permanently lights the area.

2. No effects.

3. Use enough seeds, depending on your Gardening skill, to get three plants in an L-shape (three sides of an herb square). Pouring holy water on a seed doesn't help, but pouring it on an empty square will grow an herb bush some of the time.

4. The classic suggestion: Carry around a lot of large rations until you're Burdened. Even "strained" works (but beware of the rather significant speed decrease). Though you'll suffer some DEX. loss that way, the strength increase is bigger.

5. Depends on what your stats are. If you're Unicorn and your stats need it, eat Keethrax. Otherwise, a PoCC is very useful. Make sure you carry his corpse to the druid (cooking or food pres., or just a fast trip back) right away.

6. It's worth it if you think you can take an emperor lich (or are able to teleport away from one). Dig up the ones that say "great treasures lie here" or something like that.

7. Gems are very useful for gnomes to sac or anyone else to sell. Crystals of (fire, darkness, knowledge) are also useful. Worthless pieces of glass are just that.

Actually, it would be "NEWBIE, THOU ART A NUISANCE"...

*The ElDeR AdOmErS hit you with a bolt of True Matter*

*you die*

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/25/2002 at 14:48 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

Danke Schön or however it's spelled-----*Suddenly a bolt of pure electricity hurls out from your modem!* *you die*
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5674 days, 19 hours, 38 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 22:11 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Yes, you can read it on the edge of the darkness to light up some of it or if you have a light source read it inside the darkness. then when your torch runs out or you take off your amulet you can still see in the formerly dark area.

AFAIK no.

As many as it takes. I'm no gardener; i just use what the RNG gives me.

Eat ogre corpses, carry enough to burden you (straining abuses DE), drink potions of strength/gain attribute.

Ask someone else; i never do the druid quest. IMHO it wouldn't be, although at that point in the game you prob have enough time to hunt down some methods of removing corruption.

I've never done it so ask someone else.

Depends on the gem and your race. if you're a gnome, IMHO you should sac it (gnome gods love gems). if its a crystal make use of it (knoledge=bless and use, etc., see the guidebook for more details). all others (esp glass) you might as well sell.

interesting think there at the end...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5777 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 05:02 (GMT -5)

On the subject of herbs, does everyone know that it's no use planting them on a level that didn't have any to start with? You may be able to create bushes, but they won't ever regenerate and new bushes won't ever appear.

It's definitely worth making sure you have a source of morgia roots. Having Toughness 25 or higher means that you have plenty of hit points, making it easier to survive. See the Guidebook for details about which herbs grow on which lines (morgia roots grow on the top line where herbs can appear, and every seven lines below that). Often you can control what herbs you keep just by selectively removing herb bushes. If you don't want to do the druid quest, I'd advise you to play a class which starts with Herbalism.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7789 days, 5 hours, 37 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Scroll of light:read next to a dark square

SoWarning and SoInformation : Just tells you where the blanket is.Nothing else.

Gardening: I dont usually do that.

Gaining strength : In the early game just carry heavy loads upto burdened,strained or strained!

Eating keethrax's corpse? Its better to get the spellbook or herbalism.

Digging up graves: Dont do it if you dont have ball spells.Also only dig when you dont have good eq.
Gems: Gems are usless.Crystals are good.Crystalls of Darkness,knowledge,Power.. are useful

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5674 days, 19 hours, 38 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

you always get the spellbook/skill so long as you kill Keeth. the corpse has nada to do wid it.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7910 days, 15 hours and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

Scroll of warning tells you to not stay too long in SMC, and scroll of information tells how many steps the shortest path to the blanket is. If the number of steps is > 80, it means that the path goes in circles.

Locke Cole
Archangel
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 at 15:52 (GMT -5)

I assume SoInf And SoW can be exploited later with PoE? If you dip something in PoE does it always turn into a same sort of item or can for example...a wand become a ring?

My necro started with Tract of Chaos. Is it useless? I noticed it really makes other gods angry.

--Jos tarvitset auttavaa kättä, etsi hihastasi--
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: