Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / first kill

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

xrux
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

Im kind of new to adom and read sopmewhere that the first kill is important. Just wondering what is the best thing to kill first?
Echo
Registered user

Last page view:

3587 days, 5 hours, 15 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

1. If you want to get the Courage skill then you should remember the first skill. Find the Ol' barbarian at the glade near the center of the map.
Chat to him and he'll tell you to slay 20 monsters of the kind you first killed. So if your first kill was a giant rat, kill 20 giant rats more and come back. He'll teach you Courage (Or give you a lousy two-handed sword if you already have the skill, which is unlikely). [the barbarian won't assign the quest before you've slayed a total of 500 monsters!]

2. If you want to finish an Ultra ending then you should also remember your first kill but this is somewhat advanced.. Basically an important NPC will be found on a level in the infinite dungeon equal to number of first killed monsters killed.

Tip: You can write down your first kill by opening the monster memory (press shift-6) and then typing the name of the monster!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2005 at 16:44 (GMT -5) by Echo]
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

578 days, 8 hours, 42 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

Except you will then lose this whenever you check up another monster from the memory... ultimately keeping notes in a textfile is more reliable.
Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3908 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

...or simply just rename your char
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3765 days, 14 hours and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 14:55 (GMT -5)

If going straight to the main dungeons with a spellcaster, it might pay to go to Bugville and zap a bug with a bolt spell. It gives you five levels. With an elementalist, that's quite useful (the extra spells come in handy). Other spellcasters might benefit from taking longer to level up, though, because that way you gain skill points more easily.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5894 days, 13 hours, 28 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

I did that for awhile, Morio, but it started looking ugly when the high score got full of "Devan Goblin" or "Adriana Kobold." I prefer Arancaytar's suggestion and just using a text file. That way you can record various other things, as well, like forge locations, special rooms, etc.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5151 days, 11 hours, 11 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

Just remember that this is the non-spoiling forum.

I also use monster memory (the '&' key)
It will prompt "what do you wish to remember", and you can input your first kill.
Next time you type '&' it will say "What do you wish to remember(bandit)" or something like that.

True, you will lose the ability to actually remember any particular monster from memory, but I never do this anyway (you can always 'l'ook at the monster if you see another one, and if you don't see another one, whats the problem?). And number of kills on any particular monster you can check with the kill list ':k'

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/17/2005 at 03:31 (GMT -5) by Molach]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: