Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / David A Gemmell

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 6 hours, 1 minute and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

Does any one read his books? herioc-fantasy, some good books, some great books, when he's on form his writing is wicked> he has a wonderful way of making characters real, even the little itty-bitty characters are fleshed out well and good. His most recent book is about Troy, its called Lord of the Silver Bow, but i havent read it yet because im too poor to by it and the library doesnt have it yet, i just read the first chapter in the bookstore :)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 10 hours, 7 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

Nope, but I'm interested now. I'll probably put some of those books on inter-library loan (I'm in a really small town so my town library is very small and I've read everything I want to read there). I like authors who do good characterization.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 6 hours, 1 minute and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

read Legend, it was his very first book and its one of his best, basic synopsis is that the Drenai empire is being besiged by the Nadir, a nomadic warrior race. The key to there winning the war is to take Dros Delnoch, a mighty six walled fortress blocking the passes from the nadir steppes to the drenai lands, The main character is the man known as Druss the Legend, a 60 (maybe 70) year old axe-man, known as the silver slayer, captain of the axe, the deathwalker, his weapon is a mighty axe, called Snaga, the blades of no return. He comes out of his 'retirement' to face one more battle. 500 000 nadir facing 10 000 new recruits and a handfull of seasoned warriors. It is a battle of hope and defiance in the face of overwhelming odds, Other main characters are Regnak, the coward-hero,his love Virae and Serbitar of the Thirty, warrior-priests with uncanny skills and powers. Its a great book :)

other good gemmell books are:

Morningstar, kind of rbinhood like, but much more real and raw

Lion of Macedon and Dark Prince, historically based in greece, about phillip of macedon, alexander, and parmenion facing down an ancient evil. this story is Epic! many years make up this story.

Waylander, a haunted assassin seeking peace, waylander2 was pretty bad, but the third waylander, Hero in the Shadows is very, very good

King beyond the gate, set after Legend, continues the drenai tales

and Quest for Lost Heros is very good, puts realism into herioc quest, also one of the drenai tales

His rigante series are very good also, Sword in the Storm, Midnight Falcon, Ravenheart and Stormrider, the rigante are very similar to Highlanders, again amazing characterization and storylines

for anyone who enjoys post-apocalypse stories, the Jon Shannow trilogy is good, after the 'apocalypse'(caused by the earth shifting, creating tidalwaves, earthquakes, mass devastation) technolgy has finally caught up to what would be the Cowboy Western stage.

Anyway, thats more than enough blahblah on my part, go out and read some :)

*<< Words go here >>*
Claudius
Registered user
The Exasperated Inarticulate

Last page view:

6677 days, 10 hours and 21 minutes ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty.html Has a ton of free books available online for easy download. I suggest you read Edgar Rice Burroughs, Barsoomian series, about a man and his adventures on a fictional mars. This author also wrote the acclaimed Tarzan series.
Member of the AAA, Adom Adicts Anonymous.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/11/2005 at 07:59 (GMT -5) by Claudius]
Aenorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 at 18:50 (GMT -5)

Wow that site is kickass cool.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: