Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Newbie

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Baron
Registered user

Last page view:

6623 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 22:59 (GMT -5)

Hey, just found this forum. Nice to see something out there still alive for adom. I had just stumbled upon this game about a month ago and fell in love. Been pulling my hair out ever since.

Just curious what you might have to say for someone trying to push past the 20+ hump. I personally have a couple big problems and I have searched around a bit for the answers but nothing is really a good answer.

My main question is if you start anything besides a priest you can't tell if items are cursed or not. What are some really good strats with handling the 30% of all items being cursed and maybe some ways of telling if there cursed or not?

Also, is there a way to see what the name of the cave your in? You tend to find out when you die, but I was curious if there was an easier way?

Thanks in advanced for any info you may provide.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4249 days, 8 hours, 44 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 23:31 (GMT -5)

Howdy, just found this forum myself, though I've been playing ADOM for years.

With regards to identifying cursed items, the way to do this for non-priests is to find an altar (if the altar isn't aligned then you'll have to convert it) and make a few sacrifices to get your god "pleased with you". Then whenever you drop items on the altar and pick them back up their blessed/cursed/uncursed status will be identified. Altars aren't readily available in the early game though, obviously, so you usually have to store up any good equipment you find until you get an altar you can use. Also, dropping water on an altar when the god is "very pleased" with you will turn it into holy water, which can be used to bless items you dip in it.

Another thing is that if you have a bunch of items of the same type in a stack, a bigger stack of items is more likely to be the generic uncursed. If you have a bunch of different items that aren't in a stack (they each show as seperate items in your pack) you can go to a shop and drop them and see what prices are offered - usually the lowest priced items are cursed and the highest priced items are blessed. This isn't always true though - a cursed orcish knife of devastation will sell for far more than than a blessed orcish knife, for instance, so it requires a bit of care.

Also, a blessed scroll of identify will fully identify all items you currently wear and carry, and if you have anything in there that you know the b/u/c status of it will reveal that status for all items. Scrolls of identify are generally the scrolls you have most of in your pack if you haven't identified them.

As for removing cursed items, well there's several tactics for that too - scrolls of uncursing certainly work, and when blessed they'll uncurse everything you own. Praying to your God can remove the curse from an item you're wearing. Scrolls of item destruction can also rid you of things you don't want. Dipping an item in holy water will turn it blessed instead. If you have a cursed weapon you want removing then a ratling duelist or ratling warlord can normally disarm it from you easily enough.

And finally, when you're in a dungeon it have an acronym for the dungeon name in the bottom right of the screen, alongside the number of the level you're on. Usually these acronyms make easy sense, like Druid Dungeon or Puppy Cave, or sometimes they'll refer to what you are told when you first enter a dungeon - "This appears to be an unremarkable dungeon".
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
PAGAN
Registered user
One and Only

Last page view:

6685 days, 13 hours, 37 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 01:25 (GMT -5)

Howzit and welcome to the clan.

@ Baron, prepare for the most addictive, frustrating experiance of your life, when you start dreaming that you're a @ symbol or wake up screaming "W" then you've had too much ADOM.

I've been playing this game for ages and am nowhere near winning, but its more the replayablity thats cool.

If you're unsure of stuff in the game there is a guidbook on the net that contains everything you need to know about the game, including the spoilers and walkthrough (not that it helps much)

Anyway, good luck, enjoy your game...
**Luoch Nacha - The Mad Demon of Possesing Only A Person's Left Leg and Trying To Get Him Killed**
Portrait
Baron
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

Good info, will try all of this. Thank you.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6636 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

The guidebook's address is
http://www.andywlms.com/adom/
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
Baron
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

Ya, I have read the guide books over and over. They are nice for a beginner but lack detail because of spoiling concerens for surviving long term. For instance, not a whole lot of detail on how to deal with cursed items. Such as the above described alter trick which is a great way to fix the problem.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 15:22 (GMT -5)

Welcome Baron and, especially, Darren Grey. Very comprehensive advice Darren. I'm sure there are some additional strategies that very advanced players can exploit, but your post certainly covers the most important (and available) options.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: