Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Teleportitis

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

I have a level 26 gnomish priest with Teleportitis and up to the usual ToEF barrier. I have explored all areas, used a fluff ball to pickpocket and kill 1000 gremlins, and drained all available pools. Still no teleport control, and I'm not too wild to try the ToEF without it, since my fire resistance is not up to par yet. The clock has already gotten past the 90-day mark and I have four corruptions and two of each potion and scroll that removes them. Khelly is alive and unsaved as yet, as I know corruption will kill me if I don't get his SoCRs. Any ideas?
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2006 at 15:22 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 15:43 (GMT -5)

Level 26 is nothing to be sniffed at. Teleportitis is a pain, but with effective on-demand healing, good equipment, and a decent arsenal of spells (particularly invisibility, frost bolt/ice ball, teleportation, darkness, etc.) you should stand a reasonable chance of completing the ToEF if you play carefully.

Bottom line: unless you are willing to persist with gremlin scumming, or attempt a lengthy ID dive, I recommend doing the Secret Library (if you are short of powerful spells) or the ToEF (provided you have good spells).

Can you provide more feedback re your equipment and spells? Also, have you completed the Secret Library, dug up graves, and investigated the underwater cavern?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3905 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

The ToEF, isn't really impossible with random teleportation and no control, but it is harder and requires some kind of plan.

You sould have atleast three blessed scrolls of magic mapping to use on the three lower levels, so that you can find the quickest way back and so you don't teleport to a unknown area. Also on demand teleport might be useful, if you get very far away from the stairs, even if you can't control it. And as always, bring poison, dragon/demon slayers, you can't teleport in the temple, so it'll be just like in all other games (I'm pretty sure you have some strategy for that).

Because you are a priest, it shouldn't be impossible to get an "infinite" amount of teleports, which can be useful even without control. But as Gozer said, bring healing stuff in case you need it
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

Equipment: No rings of ice, but three fireproof blankets, the elemental gauntlets, and the Pyramid stuff. I also have Hammerhead and a Smithing skill of 30. Crowned Neutral with lightning immunity and Justifier.

Talents have given me a base speed of 111.

I'm unwilling to do the underwater cavern because, with teleportitis, there are no guarantees I could get out again: I would have to darken the whole level and hope a certain dragon wouldn't keep me from getting out again. Blup has been pacified, though.

I have Frost Bolt and Ice Ball, at effectivities of +18 and +5 respectively, as well as Strength of Atlas, Teleport, and Heal.

My Dexterity is down to only 10 thanks to corruptions.

I have dug up all Great Treasure graves; one yielded a lich king which I managed to defeat with Dispel Undead.

I have no seven-league boots, though I do have bracers of speed.

I have found no wishes so far.

Best armor is the Mummy Wrapping.

Gremlins are becoming increasingly hard to do: I'm always teleporting out of the room, and then they get out of control...

I have no missile weapon marks and no good missile weapons. Primarily melee so far (obviously, with Justifier!).

Very good piety thanks to gnomes, gems, and Hammerhead.

Healing is not too good: All I have are healing spells and about 10 herbs I'm saving for a rainy day.

Fire immunity level 1 from fire beetle.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 05:10 (GMT -5)

Have you looted the Secret Library? If not (and assuming you have achieved the pre-requisites to descend the rift) then do that first - a spellbook of invisibility (coupled with frost bolt and ice ball) should make the ToEF a walk in the park.

Morio's advice re scouting the ToEF levels thoroughly (preferably with scrolls of magic mapping) is extremely sound.

Three fireproof blankets (once blessed) should be plenty - especially if you are wearing the ankh. Your fire resistance isn't great, but with healing you should be fine (and the Heal spell is great). Low dex is quite a serious problem and I would consider either raising it (e.g. with herbs) or clearing the corruptions with your scrolls/potions. I know that SoCRs and !oCCs are rare, but saving them for the end is no good if you die before you get there!

Armour is also problematic and I can't really think of any way of getting around this (except for doing a lot of tedious smithing or maybe satsifying the demented ratling and hoping that one of the chaos knights at the stone circle drops a suit of eternium plate mail). That said, provided you keep your distance and abuse frost bolt/ice ball then you should be fine.

Bottom line: if you don't have a ring of invisibility or the invisibility spell, and you haven't been to the library, then do that first - invisibility will make a huge difference. However, even without invisibility, frost bolt + ice ball = big ToEF advantage. My strategy would be keep your distance (especially with poor armour) and exploit your magic. Justifier is a great weapon, but I would avoid melee - you can't afford too much more corruption!

Oh yeah, how much PP and HP do you have? And do you have a source of confusion resistance?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 05:56 (GMT -5)

For teleport control I normally keep killing creatures in PC5 (the cavern level) until one shows up. I then name the original blink dog and kill all the ones it summons (don't kill the original as it's the only one that can summon more) - eventually a corpse will be found.

If you then kill the water dragon you can gain a few levels and hopefully get the rune-covered trident. The junk in her cave might also include some very nice items, including some better armour. Otherwise have you done DarkForge yet? I always find some nice dragon scale mails in there. Remove any equipment that's not fireproof first though, of course. Also a handy place for training up your Ice Ball (since I'm guessing that's your best way of killing the golem there).

If you have good piety and an altar in the early CoC then you might want to try draining the DarkForge pools. Every time you get cursed/doomed go remove it by saccing (or just pray I suppose) and hopefully you can get rid of the teleportisis, or gain teleport control, or also get a wish for saving Khelly which'll let you explore further in the CoC in the hope of finding extra stuff.

I'm surprised as a priest that you don't have a horde of Cure Light Wounds spellbooks. If you keep using the spell throughout the game it gets very well-trained, to the point of greatly exceeding spenseweed for only 2pp per casting.

Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5772 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

One more thing about the Secret Library - if you can get the weird tome, the Mad Minstrel will reward you with 5 cursed SoCR. How's your Stealth skill? I believe that it needs to be 100 for you to have a chance at the weird tome.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Darren, Thanks for the "naming original blink dog" tip, never thought about that before.

The ToEF is not really hard, only the chaos wyrm.
Just do the first few levels while hopping around. Gauntlets of elements plus a fire resistance ring should be plenty fire prot (platinum ring you should have).
The thoughest thing you could teleport next to would be a fire giant king, but if you stay coward and have decent hps you should be okay. And ice ball/frost bolt would kill everything fast.

The top level is non-teleport so no worries there, except you need "the usual" to destroy the Chaos Wyrm.
I also agree about secret library, its good for both exp and spells and the SoCR.

You dont really need to shave Khelly either, unless going ultra. The game up to the Wyrm takes a long time, but after that it goes very fast. You have enough corruption cleaning stuff to clear out 4-5 corruptions, and then you can get more by donating orb corpses if you need. And remember the unicorn which will certainly clean up your char nicely enough.

If you really really want to help him, 1000 is not a lot of gremlins, you should try 3000. (Quite safe with invis + magic missile)

And in my humble opinion, teleportitis without control horribly frustrating and tedious, but not dangerous, esp. with teleport spell to use.

Best of luck, I know you really need a win...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/17/2006 at 09:13 (GMT -5) by Molach]
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

about the gremlins, you can let a companion kill the gremlins for you. They will never get more powerful unles you kill them yourself. and voilla infinite treasures! since I figured that out I dont gremlin-scum anymore its just too scummy! Has noone figured this out before? And don't you think it's cheating too? I just don't think this is how the game is ment too be.
BattleAxe
Registered user

Last page view:

6339 days, 17 hours, 38 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 at 20:48 (GMT -5)

It was thought of before. Same trick was used when you use fluff balls in a place where there are a lot of water around them, since they can't swim they'll die. Though you need to be sure you can successfully put your hands in its pockets the first turn because they may drown too fast.
ej
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 at 04:19 (GMT -5)

why bother with the drowning stuf, just make a room with water traps with one exit put a strong enough pet at the exit and keep pressing the 5 key.

another way is to make the gremlins step on alarm traps and kill each other.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: