Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Comments on Top 5 Games

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 20 hours, 6 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

I know that some people, such as myself, will feel compelled to comment on other people's Top 5 Role Playing Games

In order to keep the Top 5 Role Playing Games thread uncluttered and on topic, I am creating this thread in which to praise/critisize other people's choices.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

Re: Caladriel's Top Five:
Sheesh, you consider Max Payne to be an RPG worthy of the top five, but you make no mention of the original Tomb Raider?!
Portrait
pernicion
Registered user
High Pernicion

Last page view:

6226 days, 18 hours, 45 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 17:42 (GMT -5)

Man, maybe i'm old, but I still consider Role Playing Games to be pen and paper games.

Of which only Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is the only system worth mentioning.

I still think it's weird that they even call the games you are mentioning "role playing games", as I doubt that role playing is on many minds whilst the game is played.

More like, first person shooter, adventure or fantasy adventure games.

The kobold cringes in pain
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 19:12 (GMT -5)

But as so often happens terms expand far beyond their original usage. Role Playing Games are now games where you control a character or characters which you must develop in skills and abilities throughout the game (a very loose definition but roughly holds true). I wouldn't consider Max Payne to be an RPG as such, and certainly not Tomb Raider, but then people have all sorts of interpretations of all sorts of definitions of the term, and it becomes especially confusing when games are all trying to have "RPG elements" (as if it's a selling point they have to include).

I keep meaning to try out more RPGs, and I may have a look into some of the recommendations that come up here, but I must admit that I tend to get bored of games so easily these days. ADOM seems to be the only game that has consistently kept my interest for the last 8 years, and if I were to try and create any top 5 list (which I can't do really, my mind keeps changing) it would have to be at number 1.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

I agree that Max Payne is stretching the term, because you cannot make any choices that affect the story or Max's character. Maybe I will edit my honorable mentions.

Still, I think that Baldur's Gate II and Planescape Torment definitely qualify, since you develop different relationships with different characters; you can choose to play your character as loving, heartless, or almost any point in between.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 14:50 (GMT -5)

Re: Silfir's top "5":
C'mon Silfir. This is the top 5 role playing computer games you have ever played.

"Top" is comparative, not absolute. Of all the other such games that you have played which were bad, which 2 were the least bad? Those 2 games are are among your top 5. You can explain their failings in your comments.

Don't forget, if you change your mind, you can always edit your post.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 14:54 (GMT -5)

Re: Torte's Top Five:
I say we include all games -- Western, Eastern, Northern, Southern, Sub Terranean and Stratospheric. Take your top five, and rank them, then throw in another five honorable mentions.
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6630 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Yeah, torte, look at my list. FF is 30%. If you think mentioning all game in the series is invasive, pick one of the best.
+ I said FF7 is the best (didnt try FFX), FFT and FFTA is another history however.
+ Among the Baldur's Gate, I like Shadow of Amn best, so it has the mentioning.
+ I have played only a few Fire Emblem, but they are really similar in concept, so I mention the whole series
+ Out of the two, I still favour the first vampire. It is much more creative imo. the seconds one fail flat in structure. I just played a few hours in the second so I'm not sure though.

Edit: What's the big deal with Diablo? It's worse than most RL big time.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2006 at 15:32 (GMT -5) by tongHoAnh]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 1 hour, 44 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

I'm surprised there's been no MMORPGs as of yet, since those are supposed to be the big fad these days. I guess perhaps it shows the quality of this forum's members ;-)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Torte
Registered user
Hooray

Last page view:

6661 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

Caladriel and tongHoAnh, as he was talking about Fallout I was thinking that it'd be appropriate to at least in my own post talk about the same type of RPGs, not to bash down on CRPGs because as said many of those rock aswell :).

On Diablo, it is a fun game, although it's much more of an old school RPG, hack slash and kill.

On MMORPGs, well, World of Warcraft and Guild Wars are very fun :).
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6630 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 at 23:48 (GMT -5)

Well, MMO and RPG are hard to come together so i skipped those. Among I've seen, Anarchy Online and EVE are best.
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: