Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Life in the ID

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4778 days, 1 hour, 32 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

Having lost several promising characters in the last two weeks, I'm now considering living in the ID until my high elf wizard has all the equipment he needs to go and wipe out everything that moves.
He has treasure hunter talent, so spell books are virtually guaranteed in every tension room, and its an excellent place to gain experience without risking too much.
I do plan to step out briefly at level 16, do the pyramid, get the first Thrundarr quest, along with the dwarven grave yard quests, this should reduce the travelling time. Then its back to ID until I'm a pretty decent level with every spellbook in the game.
The only flaws in this plan that I can see are.
1) No altars, so piety will be an issue, crowning etc.
2) No herbs, so hard to improve stats, possibly offset by lots of potions of increase stats etc.
3) The numbing boredom of hours of the same old dungeon.

Has anyone else tried this as a tactic, and what do you all think of it as an option?
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 at 05:36 (GMT -5)

I've never tried it and I think it is a bad strategy - to gain experience at higher levels you will need to dive deeper into the ID and take on tougher monsters. Consequently, I don't see how your risk of dying will change considerably (unless you are going to run for the stairs every time something dangerous appears - which defeats the purpose of taking on dangerous monsters to level up). Furthermore, searching for every spellbook (or even a good many of them) in the ID will take mind-numbingly long and you will probably succumb to corruption (or endure a considerable amount of it) before you succeed.

IMHO, the *ONLY* way to beat this game is by improving your skill and strategy at playing it. Sure, there are places and elements of ADOM that you can exploit for an edge - but there is nothing (that I know of anyway) which will *significantly* improve the likelihood of survival and success outside of smart playing.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4778 days, 1 hour, 32 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

Re getting all the spellbooks, I'm not serious about that. I merely want enough attacking spells to ensure that I wont run out, and the following others that I consider essential / very useful.

Essential - Invisibility, Teleportation

Very useful - Remove Curse, Identify, Light, Cure Critical wounds.
I have always used ID to get spellbooks, as you can constantly change levels to get tension rooms, spellbooks seem to grow on trees as a wizard with Treasure Hunter talent.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: