Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Choice of a weapon

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5984 days, 16 hours, 37 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

What would you do ?

Would you still use your (-1),1d8+6 adamantium spear wich is at level 10 of proficiency, or would you switched to the eternium 2-handed swords (can't remember the figures, something like 15d4+30) but for wich your are at level zero that your 21st level female archer named Caerolina just found in Darkforge ? Consider I also found an eternium tower shield (lucky me), and I'm wearing a -2, +11 dragon scale mail.

I have trouble making up my mind. Yesterday, I used the spear, for the DV bonus, but still, I ponder ...
All your base are belong to us.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

I'd stick with the spear. It takes more hits to kill enemies, which means that your skill will increase more. And the super-DV is great! Imagine if a ratling duelist disarms you of your two-handed sword whilst you're standing next to something nasty? Not a nice position to be in...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4963 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

Well, if you need to kill something fast, the sword is your best friend; if you, however, want to avoid being hit (for any of the numerous reasons there is), then the spear/shield combo will be a better choice.

I would train some levels with the sword and then alternate between the two, depending on the situation.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

Great, thanks for the insights. I considered using both, but my problem is that I'm not very strong and I'm burden or strained most of the time, wich reduce my dex and speed wich is bad. I would prefer not to be burden. Shall I priorise having a spare 2-handed swords over other things ? I already carry an extra spear, in case, and the eternium 2-h swords only weight 50s. Ah! Dilemna! What are the odds that an eternium shield is destroyed by a trap or other ? I could carry the 2-h sword in case I loose my shield; I definitively don't want to carry an extra shield!

I have 85 DV at coward... not bad for a level 21 !

Since I'm an archer, I can rely on my missiles for a quick death (I've been crowned with Thuderstroke ... yeurk!). I'm at level 9 and 7 for bows and crossbows respectivly, and use the spear for anything else. But still, the eternium weaponry is mighty appealing considering the fact that I have still to do the ToEF and have no ring to protect my worn stuff.

Again, wath would you do, train the eternium weaponry for the ToEF of scum the Infinit Dungeon for a ring ? I haven't done the pools, I don't like pools. I have some good intrinsecs I want to keep and other bad ones I sure don't want :-P
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 03:31 (GMT -5)

Don't even think of using the two-handed sword in the ToEF. You will greatly increase your chances of being hit by its denizens, most of which dish out lots of damage - some of it corrupting.

Spear + shield + powerful ranged attacks = a good chance of surviving the ToEF.
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

Ok, thanks for the warning. As you may have understood, I'm still to complete that place. In fact, this is my more promising character ever.

That will do it, then : no eternium 2-handed sword for my archer.

Correction : my DV is 106 at coward :-) (still level 21).

Good adoming you all !
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 18:56 (GMT -5)

Also, eternium stuff can't be destroyed by traps. You just have to worry about the gods destroying it if you piss them off, or perhaps annihilators. But even in these unlikely circumstances you can always keep a light backup in your pack.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: